_DC_

THE DC REVIEW: Patek 5130 World Time

_DC_

Firstly an apology for the fact this has taken so long, I know some people have been waiting on this before making the decision to buy so hopefully now you can make up your minds, but I've been a busy boy lately and not had the spare time.

Anyway, it's here now, and as ever we start with a history lesson...

The Patek World Time traces its lineage back to the 1930's, with the reference 1415 HU (heures universelles). And a quick look at this watch shows you just how little the design has changed in over 70 years, such is its brilliance...

8B9D9303-2C91-413C-9775-12909C25324D_zpsza3li7xd.jpg

The simplicity of displaying 24 time zones all at once on the dial, with a time ring that moves counter clockwise to track the times in all those locations simultaneously, as well as divided those times into day and night hours so you know if it's safe to call or if you're going to be waking someone up :giggle:

The Gen

Today the "World Time" is as synonymous with Patek Philippe as the Nautilus or the Calatrava, and in many ways is even more important, as a product line defined not by its style but by its function. In this sense it is as important as the Perpetual Calendar Chronograph or the Annual Calendar, which have become flagships of the brand at different price points. And so the introduction of a new reference is always much anticipated, much discussed and much critiqued, as with the recent launch of the limited 5575 World Time with controversial "realistic" moon...

48819163-EDA8-413D-9B85-6F4B0D24FCD7_zpszpsy6bss.jpg

But skip back to the previous incarnation of the World Time and we arrive at the watch in question, the reference 5130. The principal is exactly the same, outer city ring displaying 24 time zones, inner ring displaying the time in all those zones simultaneously, and central dial displaying the home time...

36B6FA43-8462-4D3E-A442-EA76710F47C3_zpst3oprvdf.jpg

However, the inclusion of a button at 10 o'clock tells you there is something more going on. With the modern World Time, rather than move the outer chapter ring and have to reset the home time manually, there is a "time zone advancement" function, which skips to the next time zone, moves the outer city ring accordingly, the inner 24 hour ring accordingly and home time accordingly, all at the push of a button!!

All this functionality (and, might I add, useful functionality as opposed to a chronograph which no one really ever uses) in a sleek elegant 39.5mm case, available in white/yellow/rose gold or platinum.

2E8F2567-6AED-4BA5-9FE2-64FE9A77297A_zpsryhawvwc.jpg

FAE97FF8-5CE5-4D15-819D-992531848921_zps3zdaexlx.jpg

49F2ACEB-C4FE-4AF8-90CA-07420F26D8D5_zpsnmlnmbrt.jpg

481F43B2-D02C-423B-844E-4610CD522642_zpsqbtrgf7e.jpg

The Rep

So there is a rep, several in fact, two of which I currently own. One in steel (replicating the white gold 5130g) and one in rose gold (the 5130r).

Now at this stage I want to discuss something that the Patek rep lover has to come to terms with at one time or another, and that is the fact that there are two types of "good rep" in this world. We all know what makes a good rep, those reps which at arms length or even up close are very hard to discern from the gen, and so by definition they are a good replication and so a good rep. Us Patek lovers have a few of those to enjoy, mostly in the sports ranges. There are then definitely bad reps, these include fantasy reps which I will never understand the point of, and reps which are just awful in every way. But I do believe there is another type of "good rep"... bear with me!!

We all know that some watches just can't be repped, they are too complex or have dial layouts that can't be achieved with the movements we have available, and for Patek lovers that's pretty much 99% of gen Pateks. But sometimes the rep factories decide "You know what lads, let's have a go anyway". A lot of the time this doesn't work well at all, but sometimes they manage to capture the essence of the watch, the elegance and the look and the character, if not the exact lines and layout. And when they do this with a quality movement that is reliable and feels solid, you have the second type of "good rep". One that is a quality product, looks good, wears well, and is as close a nod to the gen as is possible within the limitations of the rep world.

That, ladies and gentleman, is where this rep comes in...

6347D7CA-44CC-4C3F-8127-D3CA9E6CC46E_zpsmheux5sx.jpg

Does it have any of the functionality of the gen? Well it tells the time, and has a 24 hour ring which also tells the time (though it moves clockwise and as such has no relation to the corresponding zones on the outer ring, but if you want to you can adjust the 24hr ring manually via the crown giving you GMT functionality, which is useful). But other than that, it does nothing that the gen does. The button at 10 o'clock is just a button, push it and nothing happens. But that's my point, despite its lack of purpose that button is a prominent feature of the gen, so the rep factory said to themselves "Let's put it on there anyway"!

The overall look is unmistakably Patek World Time...

FADDEE21-A517-4303-AFE3-EE7852E76F8C_zpsqsm7263l.jpg

A lot has been said about the sunken dial, by which people mean the 24hr ring that resides under a secondary crystal below the main dial and city ring...

D3CB21C4-F606-4B20-824C-2E9370D7C4C4_zpskukhbobo.jpg

Honestly though, this isn't as noticeable in real life as it is in pictures, as with most things on a watch, but I can see how for some this would put them off, so again to those people I say you'll have to resign yourself to never owning a rep of the world time, as I can't see a more gen configuration happening any time!

It's also a little small compared to the gen, which is a refreshing size anomaly as it's usually the other way round, but at 37(ish)mm rather than the gen 39.5mm it fits my modest wrists perfectly, and will look just as classy on a larger wrist...

C9E47F25-6499-4975-A08F-ACEAC21BC594_zpsdmf2nqs6.jpg

To illustrate how this watch is flawed yet captures the essence of the gen, I've done a few side by sides...

7D123DB5-42CF-4D37-9FFC-793BEF0EDBB1_zpshexfsvcx.jpg

F17BC72D-D47D-412E-B5AF-FEB9D36EA63B_zpsvu6cbgyh.jpg

49A1B5AA-5589-4405-AE91-2D1DE5905B4D_zpsjcrpjpv5.jpg

8AA94858-ACEB-4CD9-901A-2A87CA7FA6F0_zpseoaygigs.jpg

Maybe you'll all look at those and say "It's nothing like the gen, the shape is wrong, the dial is wrong, the bezel is different" etc etc, but I haven't spent several hours on this post to point out the bloody obvious. If you're like me and you love the World Time for its history and its importance within the Patek lineup, and you want a rep that represents all that in a solid feeling, classy looking reassuringly weighty rep then get one of these!!!

Inside you'll find a 2824 movement that's smooth and reliable and solid, no rattle or 21j "whizz" when it winds, just silent and robust...

D964E679-B266-464C-90EF-676DA50AA908_zpsnwkujs1i.jpg

My only gripe, I wish they'd put a good Patek style rotor on it, I know the gen has a micro rotor but when you flip a Patek over you expect to see a gold rotor!!! And yes, that is the 5130r, so I'll leave you with a little side by side...

0EAE2FF9-1933-4502-B1DD-E5EE3905F6A6_zps6zgxwrrc.jpg

Hopefully this answers some of the concerns of those thinking of purchasing one, or maybe I've convinced you that it's not for you. Either way I hope I've helped, but please let's not have a string of posts pointing out the obvious flaws, we all have eyes, we can see!

And if you do want to buy one then both mine came from Tim over at WatchFinder!!

Thanks for looking

DC

Stuvetjee

Awesome write up mate! :)

How much i love my WorldTime rep, i just can't bond with it :( . Really have a love and hate relation with PP. Still absolute love the look and design, but think mine will only bite dust in the box...

Had a custom strap ordered for it (bit vintage looking croco) with quick release pins! This function should every brand have in their straps ;)

16D47743-8379-4844-9F6C-11B88CCF1EA0_zpsmk3fagwt.jpg

greg_r

Great write-up! :clap:

Martijn0007

Great review as always! :thumbsup:

chuckbass

This is an incredibly well done review!! So professional. Watch these appear on the forum now... The DC effect!

Piccolo

Good review - especially the acceptance that they're not perfect - but that's why they're reps and not xxxxxx$$'s..!

KeNnY

was a great read and thank you for posting this and all the time you put into this :)

Foxindebox

Great review as usual DC! :thumbsup:

King

Excellent review. Watch is probably not for me, but very interesting, informative, and enjoyable write-up.

Godfathar

DC actually took the time to take pictures of his rep with the exact angels of the gen. Now that's dedication.

DC, thank you so much, it has been a lovely review, so informative. I think we all can see why this rep is a great rep. All the little differences didn't bother me at all, the only thing that made me lose my breath was the size. I have a big wrist, and a 37 dial size would look like a ladies watch on my hand. I think I can not pull off anything less than 39 to tell you the truth, and that's why I'm waiting for the black dial Calatrava. 37 would not work unfortunately. That was the only thing that disappointed me. The rest of the watch is stunning and would not change my mind from getting it.

RUSH2112

Great write up. I love the looks but it's too small for me anyways.

klt11

regardless that it is not 1:1 haha, that rep is stunning in its own right

myaz

Bravo.

Bobrobert

I'm learning something new everyday here, I didn't even know this existed!

Daywatch

Thanks for a great write-up and "bringing it to the point". The description of bad rep/ good rep, second tier good rep was as good and matching as it gets.

The watch itself is awesome, just the minor change to a slimmer crown would go a loooooong way on this one:)

Pics and good comparison-pics - this is a really useful review.

simonbolivar

Nice write-up DC... Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.

_DC_

Thanks for the great feed-back guys, I'm glad the whole "good rep" thing made sense and resonated with a few other people!! Of course if they did manage a more accurate rep of this or any other dress Patek it would be awesome, the 5227 reps were a revelation, but it's unlikely we'll see an accurate 5130 any time soon!!

DC

OLDBLOKE74

Thanks DC

I have been pressing the chuffing button on mine and I thought it must be faulty because nothing happens

Whatever - this is damn nice watch - I will probably be wearing it in the Royal enclosure at Ascot tomorrow and I might look a prat in the top hat and tails but I will feel great and this watch is perfect for the occasion

_DC_
It's now mentioned in the best rep reviews database. :Dhttp://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=98469

Wow thanks Onze, it's an honour to have several reviews featured in your list :thumbsup:

DC

onzenuub
It's now mentioned in the best rep reviews database. :Dhttp://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=98469

Wow thanks Onze, it's an honour to have several reviews featured in your list :thumbsup:

DC

I know, it's on CNN's breaking news now. :D

Robin195959

I think I get it Dave.

Like two types of strikers? Ian Rush - the type that scored goals and Emile Heskey - the type that didn't!!!

UmpaHimself

Excellent DC. I totally agree with you on the good rep tier 2 level. Make it as close as you can with what you got instead of a pure fantasy mess. Definitely the non functioning button was critical to make the look. Although I can't help but feel there are still quite a few improvements that could be done like case size, correct color on 24 hr ring, pointed hour hand and a better rotor as well. Those things seem like they wouldn't be too hard for the factories. I guess it all depends on how in demand the watch is. Either way I know you enjoy it just the same. Wear it well!

sjonesp0015

Great Review. Thanks for clarifying how the GMT function works in this rep

machiavegli

Great pics & history _DC_!!

-Mach