Sign in to follow this  
JerAnt

Are you a WIS?

JerAnt

I was reading some Watch Snob articles on askmen.com today, and came across one that made me think of RWG and our hobby immediately. A brief snippet below:

A term has even been created for a denizen of these forums — Watch Idiot Savant, or WIS for short.
To be called a WIS is a badge of honor. It proclaims your membership in an online society of men (and a few women) who spend an inordinate amount of their income on largely obsolete objects and an inordinate amount of time on the internet writing about, posting photos of and researching watches. To join this community is to gain not only new friends but also enablers, who fully support the purchase of more and more timepieces, and are armed with time-tested justifications for angry wives and creative methods of financing these purchases. Like sharks, who must continue to swim and hunt or they’ll die, these self-proclaimed watch nerds are also always on the lookout for their next grail.

Full article at http://www.askmen.co...collection.html. If you don't recognize yourself in this article - it's only because you're in complete denial!

hkbob

I am in partial denial - fit everything described except the "inordinate amount of income" bit - can't bring myself to that level, not yet.

WatchDog21

I was reading some Watch Snob articles on askmen.com today, and came across one that made me think of RWG and our hobby immediately. A brief snippet below:

A term has even been created for a denizen of these forums — Watch Idiot Savant, or WIS for short.
To be called a WIS is a badge of honor. It proclaims your membership in an online society of men (and a few women) who spend an inordinate amount of their income on largely obsolete objects and an inordinate amount of time on the internet writing about, posting photos of and researching watches. To join this community is to gain not only new friends but also enablers, who fully support the purchase of more and more timepieces, and are armed with time-tested justifications for angry wives and creative methods of financing these purchases. Like sharks, who must continue to swim and hunt or they’ll die, these self-proclaimed watch nerds are also always on the lookout for their next grail.

Full article at http://www.askmen.co...collection.html. If you don't recognize yourself in this article - it's only because you're in complete denial!

Self Check List:

Check - spend an inordinate amount of their income

Check - an inordinate amount of time on the internet writing about, posting photos of and researching watches

Check - fully support the purchase of more and more timepieces,

Check - creative methods of financing these purchases

Check - always on the lookout for their next grail

:facepalm: - Guilty

BUT A WATCH NERD! How dare they.... :rofl:

mysterio

The Watch Snob is a nerd so he tries to insert that word in the definition of WIS so he can call himself a WIS. :lol:

Mr Stubbs

At least he didn't spell savant " f a n b o i "

:coffee2:

NFleischer

100 + watches; guilty as charged.

wdev

Pretty much sums it up :D

UmpaHimself

Yes but we spend 10% of what they spend. Fuck em!

Left Coast Guy

While I probably fit the bill, to me the 'WIS' moniker denotes a bit of snobbishness which I don't think is really part of the rep hobby, plus a big part of the 'I' in 'WIS' comes from your average middle-income-joe sporting a $50K -$100K watch collection.

Frankt8242

I am, and I can prove it..!!!

Image006.jpg

Here's my WIS pin awarded to me by Richard Paige of TimeZone @ 15 years ago..!!!

I think it was for my review of the Tissot Ballade watch I had recently bought while in a cruise to the islands..!! :giggle:

BenjaminButton

And a few women the quote says .... All I smell is testosterone... Show me the women.....

Cannibal

Yes but we spend 10% of what they spend. Fuck em!

This

JerAnt

100+? That seems reasonable ... there are 365 days in the year ... you've still got plenty of room to grow the collection! :lol:

Image006.jpg

Here's my WIS pin awarded to me by Richard Paige of TimeZone @ 15 years ago..!!!

I think it was for my review of the Tissot Ballade watch I had recently bought while in a cruise to the islands..!! :giggle:

That's fantastic! I want one!

Frankt8242

100+? That seems reasonable ... there are 365 days in the year ... you've still got plenty of room to grow the collection! :lol:

Image006.jpg

That's fantastic! I want one!

I think they are no longer available...

Here's the last reference I've seen about them @ 7 years ago..:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=3901928&rid=0

Good luck..!!i