Sign in to follow this  
ct83

HELP Which one do you like most ! PRESENT ORDERING TODAY

ct83

Hello people.

As i am discussing with Lay for possible options for new Rose Gold Daytona there are 3 Options.

rosegoldwhite2.jpg

rosegoldwithblack.jpg

rosegoldwithrose.jpg

Please i want yout thoughts.

Thx

Edited by ct83

greg_r

I prefer the black dial of the two - although there's also a gold dial version that I like even better.

I hope you know what you're getting yourself into if you're buying the A7750 version by the way. They're something of a time bomb due to the modifications required to make the secs@6 subdial work.

GC

take my advice... unless you want to have the movt serviced circa $200, do not buy a sec @6

I did and now my daytona is the most beautiful paper weight

ct83
take my advice... unless you want to have the movt serviced circa $200, do not buy a sec @6

I did and now my daytona is the most beautiful paper weight

i thought the new 29J Movement don't have the problem ??

It has 28800 bph from Lay replicamake.com

Del

I like the black dial too, but listen to the guys above :clap:.

ct83
I like the black dial too, but listen to the guys above :clap:.

I like the one silverspeed got most

LINK TO THREAD

I don't know if he has problems

prestigewatchco

Thats the nicest version Silverspeed has they are not all the same quality. I seem to remember up until a week or so ago he had no problems with it but it's very much the luck of the draw.

KBH

Here's a post you need to read. This was from 2006 when the newest and current A7750's were just released. Ziggy speaks very highly of the new movements but still does not recommend the seconds at 6.

Francisco also did an analysis of the new 29j movement and came to the conclusion that it was very little difference from the old on. You can probably find that either on RWGforum or Rap Geek if you are so inclined.

7750 review from RWGforum

Anyone who has asked my opinion on a Daytona model has gotten the same answer; dont get one with running seconds at 6, everyone I have seen is problematic, its asking too much for the movement to deal with the extra load of 11 gears. The lowly movement was not designed to take this load, its like taking a 4 cylinder car engine and putting it in a large dump truck, it will work, but the engine will fail eventually sooner than later

Now this is only my opinion, based on what I see.

Why did they not oil the movement?

Remember I said that the movement was not oiled? Why would someone make such a nice movement, and not oil it except for the balance cap jewels? What does oil do in the pivots and jewels? Sure it reduces wear by allowing the pivot to rotate on a film of oil and not touch the jewel. It also adds a small amount of friction to the pivots - a very small amount mind you - but friction is increased when you oil a watch. A dry pivot on a jewel will require less power to turn than one with a film of oil between the pivot and the jewel, at least in the initial stages of the usage of the watch. It is possible to over-oil a movement, so much so that it doesnt run at all what is my point with all this?

Have you figured out yet why they did not oil the movement?

Take a movement, add 11 extra gears, causing the movement to be on the verge of not working, and to make it all work, reduce the friction in the movement to the least amount you can. How ? by not oiling any of the pivots make sense doesnt it, it does to me this is pure speculation on my part, but the only reason I can come up with.

Taking the extra 11 gears out of the picture, you have an excellent copy of a 7750, no question a vast improvement over the existing ones. I wish I could buy a dozen of these and replace the ones in my watches.

Even better is the fact that this movement is running at 28,800 BPH, so the seconds chrono hand is nice and smooth, identical to the OEM model.

If this was my watch, I would just take the running seconds gears out of the watch, freeze the 6-counter, and use the watch like this. Reason I say this is simple, the addition of these 5 gears for the running seconds, is too much for the movement to handle. I cant correct design problems, and with the running seconds in place and loading down the movement, there is no question that the watch is going to have problems, and probably stop intermittently and maybe stop running at all. I rather have a reliable watch than a non reliable one, even if it means loosing a function.

Summary

Overhaul was straight forward, only snag was the fact that once I oiled the watch, (correctly I might add not over oiled) the limit of the available power from the movement was noticeable. As soon as I added the last bridge with the extra gear, the movement came to a grinding halt. So I ended up spending a couple of hours on the extra transfer gears, and finally took the pressed gears off, cleaned them really well, and oiled with my lightest oil and reassembled. Then I took extra care to make sure the pins were pressed just right so there was as little clearance as possible and as little friction as well. My efforts were rewarded since the movement will now run with all the gears in place but I have my doubts that it will be reliable in the long run.

Of course, one could always assemble the watch with no oil at all, as it was delivered, but this is not a solution. It is going to fail even quicker if its not oiled, I cant in good conscience send a watch back after servicing it not oiled, all movements need oil to run correctly, otherwise pivots are going to wear out and the watch will stop running.

So this confirms the fact that the reason the ETA 7750 was chosen in the first place to power the new running seconds at 6 Daytona, was because of the available power from the ETA. This is a good effort to accomplish the same thing with an Asian model, but I think it will not work in the long run. If they did not oil the movements on purpose, then they will wear out over time(consider that this is only one sample I have looked at, but normally what I see on one, I see the same thing on the others, same with the Original Asian 7750, experience has shown that they are mostly dirty and not oiled). Also consider that this is only my analysis on what I think based on my experiences, I could be way off base (well not on the no-oil = worn out movement, that is correct).

NFleischer

Yes - freezing the second hand is a viable option if the movement fails.

I did this once and the watch has now been working fine for about 2 1/2 years.

greg_r

ct: the new version is a bit more reliable than earlier versions but can still be a problem from all reports. Some folks get lucky - a lot don't. Just be aware that you may well need to get it serviced fairly regularly.

rychastings

Vote: The black dial with gold chrono subdials

djprone

I prefer the white face, but i won't be getting one due to the reasons everyone else has said.

pollux1

I like the gold dial.