Sign in to follow this  
KBH

Pam 288 croc strap

KBH

I just picked up an interesting post on RG>

Here are the pics that Tony from asian7750 provided to me again very quickly (I cannot praise his customer service enough). It is like Toro said the grey and white backing that makes it easy to distinguish:

GenCroq_2.jpg

IMG_3722.jpg

Now, if this is in fact correct then Joshua apparently sent me a nice Christmas present for free.

DSCN4564.jpg

Or am I just imagining it?

Silverspeed

I think it's the other way around....grey is the rep strap, white the gen croc strap

I have the 288 on order...but already have the gen croc strap...with the white back

Pentax

Kbh my 288 strap looks like yours that is the the fake croc or am I mistaken ?

KBH
Kbh my 288 strap looks like yours that is the the fake croc or am I mistaken ?

It's supposed to be the fake croc. That picture's got me confused though.

Check out this thread: http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=123696

gB.

Barry, the back of yours looks white not grey in your pic... :blink:

KBH
Barry, the back of yours looks white not grey in your pic... :blink:

It sure looks more like the top one in the picture than the bottom one in real life, although the white balance could be way off in HOS's picture.

Drhulee

Is your croc print really that good, that you can't distinguish it from a gen croc strap?

According to the pics yours is the calf croc print.

KBH
Is your croc print really that good, that you can't distinguish it from a gen croc strap?

Actually, I've got one of Sead's alleged gen croc straps and I can't tell the difference other than it's slightly less shiny. Not saying that Sead's couldn't be calf croc.

In that original thread on RG someone mentions that the gen is less shiny than the rep on the 288. Mine, I would consider to be "less shiny".

And as Toro says, the gen is supposed to be gray and the rep white on the inside. Mine is certainly closer to gray than it is white. So, although I really don't believe it to be the gen croc, it is rather confusing.

ghardy

I have the 288 Gen strap and its black on the inside????

Actually, I've got one of Sead's alleged gen croc straps and I can't tell the difference other than it's slightly less shiny. Not saying that Sead's couldn't be calf croc.

In that original thread on RG someone mentions that the gen is less shiny than the rep on the 288. Mine, I would consider to be "less shiny".

And as Toro says, the gen is supposed to be gray and the rep white on the inside. Mine is certainly closer to gray than it is white. So, although I really don't believe it to be the gen croc, it is rather confusing.

Luthier

Somebody fooled you.

:)

AD?

ghardy

Fake? Probably not. Purchased from Panerai North America

645 Fifth Avenue, NY.

Somebody fooled you.

:lol:

AD?

gB.

ghardy, this thread is about the difference between two rep straps, not comparing to a gen Panerai strap. The gen they are referring to is gen croc material vs. calf leather with croc print.

ghardy

Easy big fellow. Just adding info on the gen strap, i.e. some of them are not grey on the inside, hence the color difference between grey gen and the lighter color calf does not seem to be all that important. That said, I was probably completely wrong, as the gen I am referring to has the white stitching and therefore is not relevant to the comparison here.

I can add if it helps the discussion that I do have the rep calf crock design for the 288 and it rocks.

ghardy, this thread is about the difference between two rep straps, not comparing to a gen Panerai strap. The gen they are referring to is gen croc material vs. calf leather with croc print.

Silverspeed
although I really don't believe it to be the gen croc, it is rather confusing.

It is confusing....I ordered the 288 with the gen croc strap from Toro and received the strap a few days ago. I thought I got the gen croc strap...but it turns out Toro by mistake send me the calf strap with the white back.

When I compared the rep calf strap with my gen Panerai croc strap from my 312 I could see no difference apart from the rep strap being just a tiny bit more shinier....but you'd have to look long and hard to notice it! If Toro didn't tell me he had send me the wrong strap I would have never noticed it!

Everyone thinking of buying the 288....get the rep strap!

KBH

And my supposed rep strap is not the least bit shiny. It's definitely matte.

Comparing it to a gen croc I bought from Sead last year, the only difference I see it that the gen is a little shinier.

Silverspeed

LOL...might very well be that the gen is just a bit more shiny

all I know is if Toro didn't told me he send the wrong strap by mistake I would have never known