Sign in to follow this  
trailboss99

What will they think of next? Swiss Watch Industry pulls a fast one.

trailboss99

They have a cunning plan, see below.

The Watch Press

Furious Fighting Face-off – Fake vs Fake with the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry

Posted by Sylvia on September 21st 2010

You’ve heard it said – you can’t fight fire with fire, but maybe you can fight fake with fake. The Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry believe so. At the WatchPress we have become used to being quietly provided with statistics regarding watch industry exports and other run-of-the-mill information from the Swiss watch’s largest trade association for so long that their latest scheme to combat the on-line sale of counterfeit watches took us by suprise. It is a move so covert and sneaky that we just had to share it with our readers – a move encouraged by the FHS themselves.

Basically the Federation have constructed a decoy website www.replicaswisswatch.com which appears to the user like any other site offering a selection of fake watches …….until about 30 seconds later when they are automatically re-directed to an awareness-raising page which sends a strong message to the user about the consequences of buying fake – a bit of a shock tactic and one which we fully endorse. You can see how the site works yourself by accessing this link.

As Blackadder would say, this is a plan “as cunning as a fox who’s just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford Universityâ€. We wish the Federation every success in the on-going fight against fake watches.

graman

Oh!...a cunning plan that cannot fail!.....

.......Where's Baldrick? :sunglasses:

Good to know though..thanks Col!

mulder

Fark wheres me tin foil hat????????

Im converted already. I must not but anyother rep....repl......replacement for my gen watch.

Phewww thought they had me for a moment.....

Luthier

Fuck 'em.

trailboss99

Thanks to Fortey at RWI for the below clever observation:

I love this picture that shows the potential health nightmare you're facing when wearing a fake:

wrist.png

Gotta love Tineye though, now we can see the unshopped version which they apparently stole from wikipedia and used without credit:

250px-Human_wrist.png

Now, what was the lesson I was supposed to learn here?

Brightlight

Oh well, that's going to kill the fake watch market, no doubt. I see the error of my ways, I shall go out and buy a few gens today to replace my illegal collection.

PatronSaintofChainsaws

This is a rather terrible idea, but I think that the various brands are pretty clever regarding their posting pre-release images of new models which don't actually match the appearance of the production version (for a good example, see the PAM232 pre-release pics and the resulting cartel rep that ended up having the wrong hands... Panerai changed them on the production version).

Harry_Worth

I love this picture that shows the potential health nightmare you're facing when wearing a fake:

wrist.png

Gotta love Tineye though, now we can see the unshopped version which they apparently stole from wikipedia and used without credit:

250px-Human_wrist.png

Dur - Have I got this right - They're using a fake (sorry rep) picture they don't own the copyright to and then lecture us on rep watches made by people who don't own the copyright?

rychastings

hmphh, the swatch group is becoming more and more like the mpaa and the riaa with their confounded tactics :)

offshore

wrist.png

250px-Human_wrist.png

That is a classic con job!

The "inflammation" is on his wrist knuckle, right where a watch wouldn't sit...AND if that guy had been wearing a watch, he would have a lot less arm hair in the watch area.

Is that from the "Swiss Industry" or from Swatch? (although they may as well be one and the same)

The steps they will go to in an attempt to protect/justify their 50% content rule. :shakes head:

There are so many "Swiss" brands...Tissot, Mido, Titus and Bulova are 4 which immediately come to mind, which are now fully Chinese produced...have dropped dramatically in value, and are being churned out in their thousands...still with the "Swiss Made" embossing on the dials. And the plebs haven't woken up, and still buy them as "quality Swiss"

Next they will tell us that the dials are Swiss made...the rest is Chinese :finger:

Swatch have a lot to answer for with regard to the direction the industry is headed.

O/S

trailboss99

The site is owned by The Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry rather than Swatch but ya, much the same thing these days.

Col

djprone

Scary stuff. The website captured loads of my personal details such as my IP address, and where i live - LONDON, but I live about 300 miles away from London, so no worries there!

djprone

I am not harming the swiss watch industry by buying replicas. I cannot afford a genuine NEW swiss watch, so, even if i didn't buy replicas, i wouldn't buy a gen!

Harry_Worth
Scary stuff. The website captured loads of my personal details such as my IP address, and where i live - LONDON, but I live about 300 miles away from London, so no worries there!

Yes - they seem to know where I am - Realised that they had located me just after I found their contact page and had emailed them a glowing recommendation for the $88.00 Rolex DSSD - Must go, there appears to be a group of blokes at the door in leather shorts brandishing Swiss Scout knives!

lederhosen_boys.jpg

The Federation of the Swiss Watch & Cuckoo Clock Industry AGM 2010

chum_2000_uk

Again, probably just more scare tactics. If companies like Microsoft aren't allowed to collect personal data on you that can be used against you then I'm sure these guys can't either. They probably just want you to think that they have the capability to forward your details onto the authorities.

The picture of the guy's wrist is hilarious! They have well and truly been sprung with that one!

Edited by chum_2000_uk

Dendo

Thanks for forewarning us of such a dastardly shock tactic that would have stopped me in my tracks and scarred me forever.

AustinTech

Yes - they seem to know where I am - Realised that they had located me just after I found their contact page and had emailed them a glowing recommendation for the $88.00 Rolex DSSD - Must go, there appears to be a group of blokes at the door in leather shorts brandishing Swiss Scout knives!

lederhosen_boys.jpg

The Federation of the Swiss Watch & Cuckoo Clock Industry AGM 2010

:D

AustinTech

They do make one good point.

A bad dealer could use your name and address and try to steal your identity. And that is a mess.

T9000

It's ironic that the Swiss are getting their knickers in a twist over a fakes industry which they themselves were largely responsible for kick-starting back in the mid 1800s, at which time Britain and France were the world's foremost producers of quality, genuine timepieces. Strangely, the Swiss themselves don't tend to talk about this period too much, preferring instead to stand pompously in judgement of today's replica industry, while attempting to mislead those who support it through the use of blatant lies and hypocrisy.

You reap what you sow, you fraudulently pious Swiss pricks. Hope that helps...

rychastings
I am not harming the swiss watch industry by buying replicas. I cannot afford a genuine NEW swiss watch, so, even if i didn't buy replicas, i wouldn't buy a gen!

exactly, I could never afford a gen either. Reps give us the opportunity to try out watches that we like.

Pentax

I have never in my life read more bullshit Than this

Who are they trying to scare? In some countries buying counterfeit is illegal,which coutries are those? LOL the same coutries that pass them easily through customs?

When a watch costs 1000 times more that it's supposed to cost then yes I will buy a replica and I have every right to!

What if I had a private CNc machine and milled my own watch parts and made my own watch copy for personal enjoy I have not bought it neither am I selling it am I guilty?

Swiss watchmakers go and scare some other idiots not me ;-)

nunu78

ive only got two words for them ''FUCK OFF".

and now im putting order for two more reps :)