Stewart

AP Royal Oak Chrono -7750 review (Pic Heavy)

Stewart

I decided to do a short review of the newly released (spring 2015) AP Royal Oak chrono rep with the 7750 movement.

The first thing to say is this is not a 1:1 rep. The biggest flaws are the thickness and the sub dial setup.

The Gen thickness is around 10mm, the rep is 15mm. That is a huge difference and the rep feels more like a RO Offshore.

The gen sub-dials have the running seconds at 6, the rep has the running seconds at 9.

Other than that the case screws are not truly functioning as they hold the back on but do not go through the whole case. the screws that hold the bracelet to the case only penetrate about 2mm in and there is a bar that can be punched out to remove the bracelet.

So, now that the not so good parts are out of the way on to the pros.

AR - extremely good and the crystal is amazing.

Case quality - very well made, sturdy, and highly finished.

Dial - must be seen to appreciated just mesmerizing.

Movement - The watch had been sitting for four days and was dead before I started taking photos. After moving it around a few times it started right up. Keeps the best time of any of my mechanical watches.

Chronograph - Starts and stops correctly. Resets as expected.

Bracelet - Very well constructed. finish is almost to glam for me. In the sun or bright lights it is almost like having a disco ball on your wrist.

Weight - 201 grams

Comfort - At first its heavy and the chrono pusher gouges the wrist bone. I grows on you and becomes comfortable, but not as comfortable as say a planet ocean 42 mm.

Width - 41.5 mm

Depth - 15 mm

Final opinion - This watch gets more attention than anything I have ever worn. It is a very beautiful and well made watch that keeps perfect time (relative). I would consider it almost more of a Royal Oak Offshore Chrono because of it's size and thus is missing the mark if you are looking for something that is an exact (relative) replica. Overall I love the watch and would order it again.

Pictures -

IMG_0072_zpskbfs9oin.jpg

IMG_0078_zpsqf8c1tck.jpg

IMG_0079_zpsqhbtppa8.jpg

IMG_0080_zpsgn2et6pl.jpg

IMG_0081_zpsqgkadtbk.jpg

IMG_0082_zpsqeizzckx.jpg

IMG_0084_zpsug19c1as.jpg

IMG_0086_zpshebzzwi0.jpg

IMG_0088_zpsmuw1kwbh.jpg

IMG_0089_zps3gn1ueaj.jpg

IMG_0090_zpsbj6s4us5.jpg

IMG_0091_zpsjnzcaylr.jpg

Edited by Stewart

steve123

oh my.. it would be amazing at 10mm.

thanks for the review and the tease.. tempting!

_DC_

Great review, useful info!

I've owned the quartz rep and would highly recommend it, much thinner...

32BF66C3-4179-4581-BCD5-0E18E0AF4796_zpsm8imtgz3.jpg

Also the subdials are also closer together like gen (A7750 subdial spacing is too wide)!...

88333B62-6415-43E5-84A5-3C8AAEA6F84A_zpszbkabpen.jpg

I would imagine the pushers on the A7750 are a little "snappy" as with most A7750 reps, whereas the quartz microstepper is butter smooth with a nice progressive "click" feel!

The quartz is also a fraction of the cost and the finishing is still top draw, if you don't mind putting up with the ticking seconds subdial hand!!

I've got one in rose gold with white dial on it's way :thumbsup:

DC

treefiddyone
Great review, useful info! I've owned the quartz rep and would highly recommend it, much thinner...

Also the subdials are also closer together like gen (A7750 subdial spacing is too wide)!...

I would imagine the pushers on the A7750 are a little "snappy" as with most A7750 reps, whereas the quartz microstepper is butter smooth with a nice progressive "click" feel! The quartz is also a fraction of the cost and the finishing is still top draw, if you don't mind putting up with the ticking seconds subdial hand!! I've got one in rose gold with white dial on it's way :thumbsup: DC

And thank you for the quartz mini-review! It aided me in my decision to buy. I know that some owners frown upon quartz reps, but for my first rep, I'm not ready to deal with automatic movement woes yet. So I've ordered a quartz chrono with a blue dial. I just received my QC pics, and what a lovely watch! They've finally addressed the date dial color for the quartz rep. Although the new date dial might be black instead of blue, at least it's finally a dark color that matches better. Can't wait to wear it!