Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Dipping a toe in the Patek waters

greg_r

I already have far too many watches (well over 40 now) and have moved on many more than I currently own. However, there are a few obvious gaps in my collection and I've been gradually filling those over the last few months.

Somehow over 15 years of rep collecting, I have never actually owned a Patek Phillipe. Given that I've recently scratched my Lange and IWC itches (oo-err ;) ), I figured it was time.

My problem is that the Pateks I really like are the complications - which are either not repped at all, or not repped terribly well. I'm willing to accept a compromise up to a point, but I haven't quite worked out where that point is just yet. Contrarily I'm not a big fan of the Nautilus and there are similar watches from other makers that I prefer to the Calatrava.

So I figured I might try an Aquanaut. It's smaller than my preference for dive watches, but I've always liked the look, so figured I'd start with a cheapie on the basis that if I liked it, I'd buy a better one later on.

So here we are - the well-known 21J Aquanaut. I've been wearing it all day and I find myself liking it more than I had expected. The rubber strap is good quality and more comfortable than most (although the clasp is rather flimsy). The case and dial are quite nicely finished for a cheapie and the 21J movement keeps decent time. There's the obvious 'tell' from the date window being positioned too far from the edge of the dial, but at the price, I can't really complain.

Here's a couple of quick piccies:

aquanaut21j_150715.JPG

aquanaut_w.JPG

Whether I'll move on to a better one, I dunno - I'm going to see how much wear this one gets given that I already own far too many dive watches. In the meantime I need another Patek - a dress watch this time (which is the weakest area in my collection). Mebbe I'll buy that Calatrava after all - or possibly something else, I dunno. First, though, there's a Glashutte rep that's calling my name - followed by a Vacheron Constantin. Then we shall see ;)

Gazzla

Somehow over 15 years of rep collecting, I have never actually owned a Patek Phillipe.

You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation.

:lmao:

plankton

Sweet, little watch purchase binge?

greg_r

Somehow over 15 years of rep collecting, I have never actually owned a Patek Phillipe.

You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation.

Gens maybe. Reps I only ever look after until the wife steals it. :lol:

Sweet, little watch purchase binge?

I've been on a bit of a binge all year, TBH. Last year I bought TWO watches. This year, I've lost count. :coke:

hendrik

Whow no Patek?

Shame on you ! :boxedin:

best regards from here

Kleen™

Wow - I wonder why DC hasn't hunted you down and force-fed you your purchasing decision @ gunpoint in the meantime....:)

greg_r

Wow - I wonder why DC hasn't hunted you down and force-fed you your purchasing decision @ gunpoint in the meantime.... :)

I have a feeling that is something I shall be experiencing shortly. It started with an offer of advice... :lol:

Jaymelia

Theyre lovely watches greg, is that the smaller version, or the "jumbo"?

i moved mine on a few months ago... It was the kind of watch thats sporty, but you could dress up.. Despite being on rubber.

But its just wasnt getting into the rotation...

greg_r

It's a Jumbo, but still the smallest dive watch I own. I kinda like it, though :)

UmpaHimself

I love the design but was just way to small for me as a sports watch. I was sad to sell it but it never got worn. I know you don't shy away from PAMs and other beasts so I'm interested to see how you'll get along with this one.

greg_r

I love the design but was just way to small for me as a sports watch. I was sad to sell it but it never got worn. I know you don't shy away from PAMs and other beasts so I'm interested to see how you'll get along with this one.

My smallest watches are an original DJ and a Day/Date (the 36mm versions) which I wear fairly regularly - I do kinda expect a sport watch to have a bit more heft to it, though. We shall see :)

UmpaHimself

My smallest watches are an original DJ and a Day/Date (the 36mm versions) which I wear fairly regularly - I do kinda expect a sport watch to have a bit more heft to it, though. We shall see :)

Right, I wear my vintage Omega De Ville which I think is 34mm and paper thin but it suits that watch. That's not to say that the Aquanaut doesn't suit it's size. My dad has a smaller wrist then I and it looks great on him. But on my wrist it really looks out of place.

Del

I've always fancied an Aquanaut - looks great! :thumbsup2:

Lagger

I had the Nautilus best version which I moved on as it ripped my arm hairs out! you made a wise choice with rubber

greg_r

Right, I wear my vintage Omega De Ville which I think is 34mm and paper thin but it suits that watch. That's not to say that the Aquanaut doesn't suit it's size. My dad has a smaller wrist then I and it looks great on him. But on my wrist it really looks out of place.

I think a lot of it just comes down to what you're used to... Fashion used to be for smaller watches - whatever the size of your wrist. I wore a 36mm DD as my daily beater for years. Now, of course, it's gone the other way. I'm quite happy to do either, but I've gotten used to tool watches being big and dress watches being small. Go figure :dunno:

Cubic Hare

If you just can't find the love for it, please let me know if you want to move it on Greg. Looks great to me.

Cheers

greg_r

Will do, mate, but I'm gonna give it chance to grow on me first :)

Mazz

Too many dive watches ??? I don't understand that

_DC_

Wow - I wonder why DC hasn't hunted you down and force-fed you your purchasing decision @ gunpoint in the meantime.... :)

I have a feeling that is something I shall be experiencing shortly. It started with an offer of advice... :lol:

He didn't ask for advice, I didn't give advice...

Ya cheeky sods!!!

DC

greg_r
:lol:

trailboss99

Eeeeverybody needs a Nautilus G, even you.

Pure understated class, even Rennie likes it and you know how rare that is. :D

greg_r

LOL - well, mebbe I'll try a cheapie at some point, but I will admit the Nautilus has never been a watch I've particularly liked the look of...

... but if Rose likes it, she'll probably steal it anyhow (which is what happened to my F.A. Jones :lol: )

Locum74

Hi I've got a 5227 officers back calatrava in silver/black strap. It's miyota version and only worn three times so it's like new. If you want pics let me know. Don't have enough posts to sell publicly otherwise I would I'm after the miyota aquanaut that's the only reason km selling. Thx ade

:facepalm:

Admin edit:

You have got to be fucking kidding me. So you admit you're ineligible to post a sale in M2M, but you think you can post in the SITE OWNER'S THREAD to try to sell your watch to me?

We don't normally ban for a first infraction like this, but you, sunshine are just too fucking stupid to allow to live. I find myself wondering how many PMs there are floating around out there with offers to sell...

Fuck off right now, keep fucking off until you get back here, then fuck off some more until you fall off a cliff and die. Thank you.

godsmite.jpg

andyboy

Kleen™

^ epic...:D