Sign in to follow this  
Dr Yan

expert opinions needed about glue

Dr Yan

Hey guys i have just bought some panerai engraving stickers for my getat that i am trying to mod.( i have already fitted it with a panerai dial)

what glue would you recommend to stick them on with?

im thinking superglue but i think i remember someone advising not to use superglue in a watch , ever!

pollux1

Don't sniff it. :Whistle:

Tressles61

Where do you get panerai engraving stickers?

Hey guys i have just bought some panerai engraving stickers for my getat that i am trying to mod.( i have already fitted it with a panerai dial)

what glue would you recommend to stick them on with?

im thinking superglue but i think i remember someone advising not to use superglue in a watch , ever!

wombosi

Francisco had those stickers a while ago. Just send him a PM or make them yourself.

Here is link to a thread featuring his stickers.

Edited by wombosi

AllergyDoc

I used superglue once. We learned from watching CSI that it gives off fumes for about 24 hours, thus you have to wait a while before putting the watch back together if you don't want the inside of the crystal to fog. I did wait and the crystal didn't fog, but there are better glues to use.

KBH

From what I've read, never use super glue inside a watch. Although they do make a glass adhesive that might work.

I'd use what we call "Shoe Glue" here in the States. It's kind of like a slow setting rubber cement. I've used it on leather straps, mounting dials without dial feet, and gluing bezel inserts. A few little pin-head sized dots should hold it in place.

Another one to look at is GS Hypo Cement which is used in gluing watch crystals.

KBH

Francisco had those stickers a while ago. Just send him a PM or make them yourself.

Here is link to a thread featuring his stickers.

Francisco's are decals. Totally different animal.

Dr Yan

Thanks KBH,

i think the shoe glue you refer to might be what we call impact adhesive.

its great stuff but i dont think it allows you to slide the work around before it sets.

ill try to source some of that GS Hypo Cement stuff.

wombosi

You're right. But why should one bother with stickers if you have decals? :Whistle:

andygt

Don't stickers stick on without the need for glue?

KBH

You're right. But why should one bother with stickers if you have decals? :Whistle:

Different series of Pams have different movement bridges. The stick on are the other series. They are the gaudy looking ones with Panerai engraved all over them.

KBH
Thanks KBH,

i think the shoe glue you refer to might be what we call impact adhesive.

its great stuff but i dont think it allows you to slide the work around before it sets.

ill try to source some of that GS Hypo Cement stuff.

No, Shoe Glue is a slow drying adhesive, so that wouldn't be a problem. But the GS Hypo cement has lot of other watch related uses. You can buy it from the RWG shop, I believe.

Dr Yan

Cool thanks for the info KBH

Tressles61
Don't stickers stick on without the need for glue?

I just got the old permanent marker out but I mis-spelled panerai...

pollux1

I have GS Hypo cement, very good stuff. I fixed a WM9 bezel insert with it.

Baldrick

'Glue EXPERTS', wrong forum, there are NO glue EXPERTS on this forum, 'ceptin mibbe JohnG and JoeyB, notice the nom de plume similarity, JohnG is really JoeyB and I claim my bounty buxx :lol:

trailboss99

NEVER use ACC (super glue) anywhere near a watch! Is bad stuff, Mmmmmkay?

I think when KBH speaks of shoe glue he is referring to what most of the civilised world refer to as contact cement.

Bear and 3M are the most popular brands. For stuff like stickers (don't they have adhesive on them?) you need a glue

that sets flexible, not a hard drying type like GS so contact would do if you can keep it neat. Much like tar it has a way

of ending up everywhere.

Col.

Dr Yan

Thanks Col.

Brightlight

A slow setting epoxy works fine (I use Epoxy 300, a water clear epoxy so suitable for watch crystals, etc), or something like evostik 'Timebond' (which doesn't 'string' so much so less likely to fall inside the movement. You don't have a lot of time with this one though, but sufficient if you put it on one surface only). I've used both on bridge stickers, rotor stickers and Rolex datewheel overlays. I prefer to use epoxy as it is simpler to remove in the event of something going wrong, but use the Evostik if I'm in a hurry. Neither seems to have any long term problems.

wat44

glue expert:

Wreath-3.jpg