Sign in to follow this  
UmpaHimself

What Watch for my Grandfather?

UmpaHimself

Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of a hard time finding the right watch for him. Originally I gave him my Royal Oak quartz chrono which he really liked the design but I think the all metal bracelet was hard for him to wear and the white markers on white face was difficult to see. Also 42mm was pretty big for him. So I got him a Nomos. I explained that it would be automatic and him being from the era where they only had these type of movements said that was no problem.

He got the Nomos and loves it, however he is very sedentary. He had a surgery to remove some tumors last year and has not been the same since. So the watch doesn't get much movement and he is having to manually wind it. The winding is a bit on the stiffer side and with the crown being so small it's very difficult for him so he started to ask me what options they had in quartz to which I informed him not many.

So now I am trying to find him something. He really likes the reps, not so much into Japanese gens like Seiko which I mentioned to him. He would preferably like a white face, black markers, quartz, 40mm or below (preferable 38), less then 12mm high and on a band not bracelet. Can you guys think of anything to fit these specs? Even non reps are worth mentioning at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Venomous

Hmm.

May I suggest this - http://watchfinder.p...ageID=239226267

APB.jpg

APBL.jpg

APW.jpg

The Audemars Piguet Ultra Slim. Miyota powered an only 40mm diameter and 7mm high.

Very elegant, classical piece with leather strap and metal body.

Not to mention the dial comes in 3 different colours for easy reading.

V

Duzza

What about the new Reverso?

Godfathar

Venomous has a good suggestion..

My suggestion would be the Patek Philippe 5227G Miyota. it's big to look at (not black markers but clear markers though), very thin and light. the winding is a breeze, you don't have to unscrew it, just wind it directly, and the crown is not small to hold. great price, and great value..

20150803_140135_01.jpg

GenTLe

Guys, he said "QUARTZ", and therefore I approve the new reverso :)

Gazzla

Quartz Speedy?

black263

I have this Seiko. No lume whatever, but clearest dial I've had, leather strap, quartz. My daily beater. Only downside is that it is a few mill larger than you are looking for, but it wears small.

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B00I520JYM

Duzza

So Umpa says must be quartz and not Seiko, so everyone recommends automatics and Seikos :)

black263

So Umpa says must be quartz and not Seiko, so everyone recommends automatics and Seikos :)

AHH. Missed the Seiko bit. OOPs

loislois76

Wait until one recommends you an automatic Seiko. :)

Kcore

Umpa, instead of looking at the solution by replacing the watch, how about looking at it from another angle. I'd like to offer a different suggestion. Since your Grandfather really likes the Nomos and the only obstacle seems to be keeping it running, how about surprising him and giving him a watch winder? This should give it a good PR for him to fully enjoy wearing it even without him being active.

Whatever you decide, :thumbsup: for being a good grandson!

Jooost

Otherwise they do sell a few quartz nomos on Ali. Not sure if they are any good, and didn't hear anybody who got them, but might be worth a shot.

Cartier Ballon, or if you don't mind going bigger I would look at the IWC portugese.

Good luck and I'm sure your grandfather will be happy with any choice you make!

UmpaHimself

:lol: Yes, this is a bit of a tricky situation. Slim pickens

Wait until one recommends you an automatic Seiko. :)

:lmao:

Umpa, instead of looking at the solution by replacing the watch, how about looking at it from another angle. I'd like to offer a different suggestion. Since your Grandfather really likes the Nomos and the only obstacle seems to be keeping it running, how about surprising him and giving him a watch winder? This should give it a good PR for him to fully enjoy wearing it even without him being active.

Whatever you decide, :thumbsup: for being a good grandson!

It's funny you say that because I was showing some to him today and he didn't care for it. As I said he's fairly old and is not the most detail oriented person. As I explained how it worked he looked at me like "your fucking joking right" :lol: I think at this point he's just looking for something that's nice looking and won't require much fuss.

Otherwise they do sell a few quartz nomos on Ali. Not sure if they are any good, and didn't hear anybody who got them, but might be worth a shot.

Cartier Ballon, or if you don't mind going bigger I would look at the IWC portugese.

Good luck and I'm sure your grandfather will be happy with any choice you make!

Yes I was looking at the Cartiers but I don't think they are really his style. Was looking at this Portuguese Tim has that's quartz. 42mm but looks like it would be comfortable and very legible. Either that or maybe find him a rubber/leather strap version of the AP RO quartz chrono. Maybe even a ROO Safari Quartz

d0VP5vA.jpg

Del Boy

IWC FA Jones with white face.

Comes with a wind-up Quartz-stlye movement... I'm sure your Grandad can wind it up a little each day.

KarmaToBurn

Quartz midsize Cartier Santos on leather or rubber straps? Classic design, white face and black Roman numeral markers. I'm not sure how big the 33mm wears but I think the regular 41mm version wears much bigger.

Also a few quartz tank option out there.

black263

Comes with a wind-up Quartz-stlye movement... I'm sure your Grandad can wind it up a little each day.

Wind-up quartz. How does that work?

Replicaaustralia

What about those IWC Topgun quartz ones, they are simple and quite pleasing to look at tbh.

Del Boy

Wind-up quartz. How does that work?

It's not a quartz!

Hornet

What about Junkers? Gen and reasonably priced and they do quartz.

https://shop.junkers...-5-bauhaus.html

Wise suggestion !

....well, they are similar to the nomos.

GenTLe

https://shop.junkers.de/en/junkers-6070-5-bauhaus.html

Let me add also the Zeppelin ones (same producer as Junkers).

http://www.pointtec.de/zeppelin/

This one is beautiful:

zeppelin_7678-5.jpg

This too:

zeppelin_7644-5.jpg

UmpaHimself

https://shop.junkers...-5-bauhaus.html

Let me add also the Zeppelin ones (same producer as Junkers).

http://www.pointtec.de/zeppelin/

This one is beautiful:

zeppelin_7678-5.jpg

This too:

zeppelin_7644-5.jpg

Both brands are very nice. I'll show him. The crowns and pushers seem a bit large though.

This is what I am looking at now (all quartz):

WO54a2b.jpg

AbCNLG0.jpg

3EIUvTk.jpg

3D8ySkV.png

PYwerk2.png

Mostly black dials but it's hard to find something I think he would like with these exact specs

Kcore

Why not just get grandpa a Timex. It's a great time honored watch. Google Timex T2N063. It's a Quartz with a lovely white dial with black Arabic numerals. It also is a day/date. Case dia is 35mm, so not too small. it comes with one of those stretchy Speidel bracelets but easy enough replaced with a strap. I believe lug width is 18mm. It also has the cool Indiglo feature. Press in the crown and the dial glows blue!

Umpa, this has everything you're grandpa wants and can be picked up on Amazon for a song. Here's a pic

81zY8LxMlbL__UL1500__zpsvn7fvucn.jpg