Sign in to follow this  
hkbob

A visit to the heart of global repdom: Guangzhou Watch City

hendrik

Nice post hkbob. Don't let the conspiracy theorists upset you too much :)

AMEN!

thank you for shareing, a feast of recognition :giggle:

Edited by hendrik

hkbob

Just spewing out what I remember that are worthy of note

Walking to GWC from the main train station, the first malls you find are all retail oriented, very willing to deal. If you keep walking, you'll come to malls housing wholesalers, whole watches or components. Here the crowd thins out, and they barely look up when you walk up. They act as the pick-up point for source factories, and they usually deal in quantity, but will also sell retail. I was in need of a couple of clip-type deployment clasps, and I found a blank one for $1.60, and a Longines one for $2.25. They are of similar quality that you would expect with a typical rep.

A watchmaker will have a ball here: cases, crystals, dials, hands, bands, movement, clips, etc. Everything in dizzying array of shapes, material, colors & sizes - sapphire, titanium, 3D-printed dials, croc straps, etc. (The only thing I couldn't find was a hand-made enamel dial. I asked.) I suspect that a watchmaker with all his tools can very likely find everything needed to put together a finished watch in his hotel room.

trailboss99

Pickled, have you any idea WTF happens if you pull out a camera in the middle of GWC? :facepalm:

Think about it ya dope!

aldo_watch

Wich is extacletly the main raliway station? Name? I'm gonna to Canton tomorrow... .-)

Jamesmacca

Was it easy to find there ? Do u get many excellent watches on the street?