Sign in to follow this  
deroya

Is this a genuine SUBMARINER?

deroya

prob the most common post on here. may buy this off somebody haven't held it yet these are just the pics until he can make time to meet me. the pics aren't that great i know but any opinions would be nice! Mind you, i believe he said it was a 1990 year. thank you

click on the thumbnail for enlarged pictures.

95613708_c.png

Edited by deroya

plankton

Not in my opinion, rather looks like hell

deroya

Not in my opinion, rather looks like hell

definitely been worn and has its markings

GoW13

If it is gen, it really looks beaten up^^ That´s what you call a daily wearer :D

shinjun

how much is he asking for it?

black263

I'm not a Rolex expert, but to me, the logo on the crown doesn't seem centred. Don't know if that is how it should be.

deroya

how much is he asking for it?

not insanely cheap but a good few grand less than the going rate, I've obviously talked him down a whole bunch too. Needs the cash i suppose. i would obviously get it looked at by a watch shop prior to buying this is just to get some opinions before it even gets to that.

GoW13

Did you ask him already for a picture of the movement?

deroya

by the looks of the pictures i don't think he's capable of taking the caseback off. something i was saving for my trip to the watch shop with him.

black263

Easy answer, if you are going to meet is to do so at an AD, and get it checked out on the spot. If he won't do that, you have to ask, "Why not"?

deroya

Easy answer, if you are going to meet is to do so at an AD, and get it checked out on the spot. If he won't do that, you have to ask, "Why not"?

I agree, and he said he would

GoW13

by the looks of the pictures i don't think he's capable of taking the caseback off. something i was saving for my trip to the watch shop with him.

True :D

And that would have been my next advice :)

Stephanova

In my opinion the enamel on the round dots on dial looks sloppy. I would never accept this for a gen, and this is and area not affected by wear and tear. Check Gen pic below for comparison rolex-submariner-date-116613LN-watch.jpg

Edited by Stephanova

Arism

In my opinion the enamel on the round dots on dial looks sloppy. I would never accept this for a gen, and this is and area not affected by wear and tear. Check Gen pic below for comparison rolex-submariner-date-116613LN-watch.jpg

That's a totally different model!

_DC_

That gen pic is of a different model mate so not a great comparison!

Looks ok to me, with that amount of wear the gold plating on a rep would have given up the ghost, dial print looks good too, no funny spacing or anything!!

Ultimately if he's willing to have it verified by an AD what's the point in asking everyone on here?

The fact it's worn sucks a little but better that than it be heavily polished to get rid of the wear, any collector will tell you heavily polished is a no-no but well worn adds character!!

DC

Retina

remove the end links and check the serial. its a double security but i believe it definitely a gen, pinion, bracelet and dial printing looks spot on.

bracelet end links should have engravings as well

Stephanova

Thanks for pointing that out regarding the model, my bad,.. but I still think the dial looks smeary. so I was more comparing the detailing on the dial.

Maybe I have to polish my monitor :)

All feedback is good feedback. Very noobish here :)

Markrfc

Looks fine to me probably 15 years plus daily wearer.

deroya

Thanks for all the input!

solkryssare

Looks gen.

ShovelnTC

Looks gen (I'm no expert though) but in that condition a service would be a must and this can cost up to a Grand or more depending on required work/parts so it may not be so cheap after all.

Duzza

I'd steer well clear of that. No doubting really its a genuine Rolex but the condition of the bracelet means it needs replacing. A new 2 tone bracelet plus the cost of the service make this likely an expensive rather than cheap Rolex I would imagine.

movemento

That's a daily wearer if I've ever seen one!

frozen

I think it is probably real, but the 2.5x on the cyclops looks wrong in this picture. Funny angle makes it hard to tell though.

Frankt8242

Why would you want it...??

For a couple of hundred bucks you can buy a nice rep, and not worry about getting screwed..And you'll have a nice new looking watch..!! :hangin: