Sign in to follow this  
djprone

I'm going to build a cheap watch winder

djprone

I'm just about to design and build a watch winder and wondered if anyone else has done this and can give me any tips.

The idea is to use the base to a cheap disco ball (as my name suggest i have loads of DJ equipment laying around the house), and a black cd container stuffed with packing foam. I may even spuce it up and build a wooden frame with maybe a drawer to house my non-auto watches and a digital clock so i can keep an eye on the time of the auto watches.

The disco ball has 3 switchable settings: Clockwise turning, anti-clockwise turing, and 1 minute intervals of clockwise and then anticlockwise. It also turns at around 3rpm.

edit: I haven't figured out a material to use to block the magnetic field from the motor (if any) but i'm sure i'll find something.

I'll then add a simple plug in timer to give it a resting function.

if you have built a watch winder, or know anything about them then please chip in with some tips!

If it is successful then i'll write up how i did it ;)

Nathan x

Slim

Brilliant idea! I used to use a mains timer with my watch winder so it didn't keep me awake, when it was based in my bedroom. I found it only needed about 6 hrs a day anyway (if I remember correctly).

You can't block magnetic fields by the way, but you can reroute them. Maybe some sort of shell made of thin sheet steel.

djprone
Brilliant idea! I used to use a mains timer with my watch winder so it didn't keep me awake, when it was based in my bedroom. I found it only needed about 6 hrs a day anyway (if I remember correctly).

You can't block magnetic fields by the way, but you can reroute them. Maybe some sort of shell made of thin sheet steel.

Thanks! Yes, i was thinking about covering the outer shell of the cd holder in loads of layers of foil or something similar.