Sign in to follow this  
bowtiefanatc

Which Nautilus??? Oh the humanity!!

bowtiefanatc

So I am finally going to pull the trigger on a Nautilus (and an Aquanaut too) but I seriously can't figure out which one to get. I know the Swiss is quite nice, but pricey and has its flaws. The Miyota is good construction wise but everywhere I look there are complaints about the rotor noise. At this point I think the best bet would be to find an Asian clone version and call it a day, but being the crazy researcher that I am; I'm appealing to the Patek people for guidance.

Is the construction of the Miyota version worth the rotor noise? Or should I just look for an Asian clone or save up for the big boy SW200?

Thank you so much!!

_DC_

Well I think everyone knows my opinion, the case and bracelet are closer to gen on the Miyota and that bugged me way more about the SW200 than the rotor noise does on the Miyota so there's my answer!

But if you want silence and lower price then certainly Asian Clone would be the way to go, same case and dial as SW200 without the hefty price tag!!!!!

DC

bowtiefanatc

Thanks DC, I knew you would chime in here. I like your review and there are really good observations in that one. The hands and the noise just bug me for some reason. I found an Asian clone version that looks pretty good and much less than Swiss. The noise of the Miyota seems to be universal and there's really no fix for it from what I can gather.

It's just trying to find which inaccuracies you can deal with easier.

UmpaHimself

You're not really going to hear the rotor noise sitting at a desk or something though. Only when you're swinging your arms around like a madman. Miyota gets my vote

bowtiefanatc

Ok, well that helps a bit. I usually don't swing my arms all crazy like the guy in Team America. If it's not that bad then I could probably deal with it. Thanks guys!

Phantomtech

Asian clone for me. The Miyota was great at first but after a while plenty things started bugging me in addition to the rotor noise...

shiroutsuri

I have the Miyota SS 5711 with changed hands, the SW-200 RG 5711R and the SW-200 Aquanaut with both the rubber strap & SS bracelet. The various manufacturers version of 5711 have their own strength & weaknesses and very much depend on what you want and what you consider not acceptable.

For the SS version, I pick the Miyota over the SW because I can't accept the extra hole in the bracelet top link, less accurate bracelet shape and face dial pattern whereas I have no problem with the spinning sound of the Miyota. The Miyota thin hands was not acceptable but fortunately, this can be changed as discuss in the forum.

For the RG, I pick the SW because it is on leather strap and it don't have the shortfalls as highlighted above with the SS bracelet. Also, I find the stem winding quality much better with the SW-200 and my SW keeps more accurate time than my Nautilus Miyota. However, I should mention that all my Miyota APRO keep good time, so it could be an exception!

The SW-200 Aquanaut is a really a good replica and keeps very accurate time but somehow, it get less wearing time than the Nautilus.

Hope the above will help you with your decision.

Godfathar

Phantomtech was my inspiration when I saw his Miyota with the changed hands to the 21J ones a and the double ARs. Although I know his take now regarding that watch, I still went ahead for that project and purchased the Miyota SS and used 21J, and now the watch is with KeNnY getting the hands swapped. I had the SW200 before, but couldn't get over the enlarged polished first link on the case, and the lugs on the second link showing. Huge tell from far away. Where the Miyota has the noise and very small subtle tells but you need to be very close to the watch to notice them. So my voice would be with the Miyota. And if you can? Change the hands.

bowtiefanatc

I know Umpa said that you aren't going to hear the noise just sitting. However I feel that the Nautilus and Aquanaut might dethrone my TC as the primary wrist time. I just don't want to get annoyed by the constant sound. I figured if I went with the Miyota that I would get 21J hands to swap.

Would these hands be compatible?

http://v.yupoo.com/photos/mrwatch/albums/8370125/

Thank you all for chiming in. It really is all about figuring out which things bug you least and picking the lesser of those evils. I'm not naive to believe you're going to get a 1:1 but I guess I got spoiled with my TC and other reps I've had.

Barth

I heard Sead (TD @ RWI) can arrange you with 21J hands when you purchase a Miyota. Quite convenient !

bowtiefanatc

He can include them or he can actually make the swap? If he can make the swap that would be beautiful

Barth
He can include them or he can actually make the swap? If he can make the swap that would be beautiful

Don't think he would swap them, he's a busy man. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Kleen™

The Miyota by far.

Or the cheapo 21j for less than 150,- if you just feel like checking it out...

Kleen™

MR sells one, that is a lot of bang for the buck - it even has a nicely engraved rotor....:)

Kleen™

MR sells one, that is a lot of bang for the buck - it even has a nicely engraved rotor.... :)

but unfortunatelly he doesn´t offer triangual shipping, which is essential here in central europe :-(

I've ordered several times from MR and never had a problem...despite Denmark being one of the countries where triangular shipping is 'a must'. But it's up to you....obvously:)

bowtiefanatc

I think it's going to be the Miyota Nautilus with modded hands for me.

Kleen™
I think it's going to be the Miyota Nautilus with modded hands for me.

Good choice. Actually; the best choice there is....

bowtiefanatc

I feel that it's the best case/bracelet construction and if the noise really bothers me I'll just get the different version. Has anyone attempted to swap the movement to keep the better face? Just curious.

Kleen™
I feel that it's the best case/bracelet construction and if the noise really bothers me I'll just get the different version. Has anyone attempted to swap the movement to keep the better face? Just curious.

Why on Earth you'd want to do that is beyond me....?

bowtiefanatc

I know I know, some people really don't like the sound of the miyota. I've heard some videos and in excessive shaking it's definitely very noticeable. However I am trusting everyone here and believing that it won't be bad at all at work, or even normal usage.

Kleen™

It's not like you're starting a lawnmower or sumfin'....;)

GenTLe

You can make it more silent just put a very little amount of HP1300 oil in the rotor bearing.

bowtiefanatc

Good to know! Thank you

anthonyt
Good to know! Thank you

Hey I'm about to get my nautilus soon. How did your hand swap go ? Did awesome sead helped you out with that ? If not could u share with me how did u go about it ?

Could anyone share who I can go for the hand swap ? Thanks !

SamsonAusKognito

Miyota 9015is always reliable