Sign in to follow this  
PeterPC

Everything until now was just foreplay - Vintage Seiko Bullhead

PeterPC

I have dabbled in several reps. I have dabbled in several gens (albeit lower range). Of late, I have even been dabbling in vintage divers (predominantly Seiko's, with or without mods, but a few other brands as well). And whilst most have brought me great joy indeed (some even for weeks on end), I was always fairly quickly then searching for the "next one". You know, the "real one", the one that you really want on your wrist, the one you've known all along is going to be the "special one".

Well, I now finally have it. I've been hankering for a decent vintage Seiko bullhead for years, but was always a bit too stingy to pay the bit extra for a decent quality one. And with even low quality version ones going for around the US$500 mark now, that will quickly turn into a grand once serviced and spruced. I'm not overly tight with money, but hey, this is supposedly a hobby, and it doesn't help either that my bride doesn't particularly understand my growing fixation with watches. She pokes fun, but she copes. So when I had the chance to get this one for under $300, I grabbed it faster than a teenage boy grabbing for his tissues. It's not mint. It's got it faults. But it keeps great time so far, the chrono resets to zero every time. AND IT'S NOW IN MY HANDS.

Is it my "grail" watch? Well if not, then it's certainly the one I've yearned for the longest, thought more about than any other particular model, and the one that has caused me the most search time and the greatest disappointments when I'd missed out on one before.

Very f**king happy right now indeed. (But oooh, is that it's fraternal twin brother brown version I see over there?)

20150818_141554_zpsifzgso1j.jpg?1439885496203&1439885497392

WatchDog21

Congrats on your find and purchase. I had never seen the Seiko bullhead. I like! It does have a certain uniqueness to it. Looks like it is in pretty good condition as well!

Kleen™

First time I've seen this particular model...looks great!

What is the case diameter?

PeterPC

Approx 44mm across and 46mm lengthwise. Has 20mm lugs. Height goes from about 11mm at the base to about 16mm at the crown end. Good hefty solid feel and construction

Kleen™

Approx 44mm across and 46mm lengthwise. Has 20mm lugs. Height goes from about 11mm at the base to about 16mm at the crown end. Good hefty solid feel and construction

Cheers...:)

dudermania

Forgive me sir but it really looks like a Speedy knockoff... If I had that, I'd always look at it and think - why the frik am I not wearing a Speedmaster?!! :omfg:

trailboss99

300 bucks? That my good fellow was a steal of a deal, well done!

Forgive me sir but it really looks like a Speedy knockoff... If I had that, I'd always look at it and think - why the frik am I not wearing a Speedmaster?!! :omfg:

And you , sir have no soul. Sorry but 'tis a fact.

RussP

I love my Seikos............both vintage and modern.

But you're spot on with your observation..........an uncanny resemblance to a Speedy it is.

RussP

I have dabbled in several reps. I have dabbled in several gens (albeit lower range). Of late, I have even been dabbling in vintage divers (predominantly Seiko's, with or without mods, but a few other brands as well). And whilst most have brought me great joy indeed (some even for weeks on end), I was always fairly quickly then searching for the "next one". You know, the "real one", the one that you really want on your wrist, the one you've known all along is going to be the "special one".

Well, I now finally have it. I've been hankering for a decent vintage Seiko bullhead for years, but was always a bit too stingy to pay the bit extra for a decent quality one. And with even low quality version ones going for around the US$500 mark now, that will quickly turn into a grand once serviced and spruced. I'm not overly tight with money, but hey, this is supposedly a hobby, and it doesn't help either that my bride doesn't particularly understand my growing fixation with watches. She pokes fun, but she copes. So when I had the chance to get this one for under $300, I grabbed it faster than a teenage boy grabbing for his tissues. It's not mint. It's got it faults. But it keeps great time so far, the chrono resets to zero every time. AND IT'S NOW IN MY HANDS.

Is it my "grail" watch? Well if not, then it's certainly the one I've yearned for the longest, thought more about than any other particular model, and the one that has caused me the most search time and the greatest disappointments when I'd missed out on one before.

Very f**king happy right now indeed. (But oooh, is that it's fraternal twin brother brown version I see over there?)

20150818_141554_zpsifzgso1j.jpg?1439885496203&1439885497392

I should not have read this post..........it's got my interest piqued now.

Shame on you.......... :rolleyes: but thanks for sharing your story and picture with the forum.

There's quite a few of us Seiko fans hiding in the wings.

Kleen™

Psyhos are very addictive...ask Del, who should be about 1/3'rd Seiko/japanese by now...;)

PeterPC

It's interesting you should mention that. It was the Omega Speedmaster that initially triggered my love of watches. The first time I ever saw one many years ago I instantly fell in love with it. It was when searching around and researching Speedies that I discovered the Bullheads. And fresh hooks were set. I never forgot the Speedie, just parked the idea until I could justify the outlay. But the Bullhead was a bit more attainable in the short to medium term, so I chased it harder.

In the meantime, I also stumbled upon this site and in fact I bought a rep of the Speedie, purchased mainly to see if I loved it enough to fork out the dough for a gen. Of the luxury brands, it's probably what I will buy one day. That day's not here yet, but fortunately the Bullhead's day arrived today.

Sure, they both have similar features (chrono, tachy font) but that Bullhead style with buttons and crown on top, and assymetric case shape with tapered thickness, you would surely have to agree really is quite unique and sufficiently sets it apart from nearly all other watches. A classic in its own right, just like the Speedie. Similar, yes, but unmistakeable, and certainly no knock-off.

The other interesting thing is that I'm really quite taken with the new Omega Bullhead. I'd probably pull the trigger on a rep of the black one of those if I could find one. But I may just keep loving the special individual style of the Bullhead for a little while longer before I go down that path. Might even slip it off ocassionally for the Speedie, too, just for old times sake, and share the love between these 2 beguiling, yet unique to themselves classics.

PeterPC

So beguiled by these Bullheads, I couldn't resist when I spotted this equally inexpensive brown/gold dial version.

20150922_071458_zpsskm508jh.jpg?1442878910715&1442878913605&1442878923646

The fraternal twin brothers together and sheer joy sweeps throughout the household

20150922_072433_zpsykwg6xjb.jpg?1442878910714&1442878913604&1442878923645

Amrjon

Nice. You must know where to look, I see these fairly often but mostly very well used or crazy money.

insert-here

Great looking watch, I personally like the brown one a little better. Never seen the bullhead before, now on my list also.

FL13

The Brown seiko is what piqued my interest for Bullheads.

11005135_771841719531890_780325791_n.jpg

Hornet

OP, really lovely looking watches. Congratulations on a great purchase. And who cares if they look like the speedmaster?

MetalMickey

Oh God that is beautiful

Mazz

Damn it now I need a bullhead and a Pouge

Haltec

On a "fishbone" bracelet - as it should be.

Good purchase.

Enjoy it!!!

Haltec

Mazz

wish they had done the day date on the reissue

PeterPC

Really appreciate all the positive comments. Still lovin' both the watches, and both keping great time. Absolute long term keepers, that's for sure.

Am seriously tempted to get one of those stunning G Gerlach's one day. I drool over them like an old dog everytime one's posted here.

Have also been very tempted in the past with the bullhead re-issues. On the backburner now I have the originals, but there's still a lot about them I quite like. For the time being though, I'm just going to keep enjoying these.

And good luck to those currently searching. I can't believe some of the prices being asked for these at the moment.