Sign in to follow this  
chum_2000_uk

Am I the only one here who thinks Pam is ugly?

Balad1
I'm not feeling the love for Pam. Sorry. Dont get me wrong, I probably would after a few :Drinking2:

But for me, I just can't bring myself to have lusty feelings for her like so many of you do. Maybe I am gay? :D

They don't give me a woody either...

NFleischer

DSC00244-1.jpg

Tell me this 40mm PAM isn't a cool watch.

ImWatchingYOU

To say the truth I'm not into PAM's myself :D They arent that popular in europe. And PAM's are usually for people who are over 40's :Drinking2:

Rav747
I have tried to like some 44mm and bigger watches but I just never wear them.

I have been looking at a 40mm PAM 215 gen watch but i am not sure I would wear it either.

There seem to be a few 40mm rep PAMs about - perhaps I should get one to see.

For the PAM experts:

What is the PAM that looks the smallest on the wrist?

Hey now! why you gotta be calling us out like that? Not everyone has HUGE............................................wrists ya know? Jeebus!

: )

I hear ya. I never thought PAm would a kind of watch i would be interested in, but having been here, it definitely grows on you. I only loved Tags and Breitlings. I don't even have a Tag yet, but i managed to recently get my first pam- 183. Next will be the infamous 288 and then who knows.

Mary can def source some cheap Pams if you asked her, and then there is always Roberts collection of $99.

AllergyDoc
PAM's are usually for people who are over 40's :Drinking2:

:D

NFleischer

well that's true- I 'm 58.

w204

I'm 26 and the most comments I ever get about my watches were all directed at my PAM118.

greg_r
I'm not feeling the love for Pam. Sorry. Dont get me wrong, I probably would after a few :Drinking2:

:D

Most people are that way at first. Even I didn't reallly get them at the start - then I bought a 111h on the basis that I wanted to find out what the fuss was all about.

10 or 15 PAMs later.... :Drinking2:

Baldrick

Panerai are OK for some guys and not for others, just don't get caught up in all the shit about them, there are a lot of Flotigllia Mas wannabes ( I don't need to explain this to you, there will be a PAM forum 'expert' along shortly to do that ), on here and other forums, just like the armchair ninjas who buy 'black stealth' Daytonas, these guys let their imaginings get all caught up in the 'history' of Pams, this means they end up with some Pams sitting on docker's belt straps that they think look cool, that might be OK for some Pams but not the 'dress' Pams which are all Pre-Vendome models ( again, an 'expert' will be along to explain this) , I saw on the board the other day, a member who got a very elegant 288 and put it on a huge thick 'belt' strap, Panerai themselves don't do that, they determined that this 'dress sports' watch should be on a croc strap, but some people let their imagination run wild, a bit like the guy who puts orange alloys on his black hot hatch, it's a question of taste and some people have it, most don't, YES you know who you are, ( these people are in the main, Hublot wearers ) :Drinking2:

Panerai can be dressy watches, but you need to be selective, a lot depends which camp you wanna be in, the dressy classy camp, or the one with the orange wheels, however as said, once you find the right one, and get used to it's size and appearance, it's difficult to wear a small watch again, if you want to see what all the fuss is about, start with a Radiomir series watch, they're very elegant with their 'wire' lugs and their galbe case on a croc strap and are available in steel, gold or PVD :Drinking2: !

PICT3424copy.jpg

407MAR08PANERAIRADIOMIRCERAMIC6.jpg

PICT34262copy.jpg

Quatrostagionidioro.jpg

416PANERAICREAMIC64977.jpg

SatMar06194458GMT2010.jpg

PS. I've included a photo for the 'stealthy armchair ninja' members, you dun want them left feeling out of it, they're liable to break into your roofspace and run poison down a thread into the corners of your mouth :D

416PANERAICREAMIC64975.jpg

Baldrick
They can be SO sexy:

3580448338_5d49f2d4aa_o.jpg

They can look SO sexy, but NOT with a George Hamilton spray-on tan, there ya go Doc, fixed it for ya :)

3580448338_5d49f2d4aa_ocopy.jpg

Goon

Pams are bloody nice IMO. I prefer understated watches myself, and the simple yet elegant design of the Pams is attractive to me. The only thing I don't like about Pams is the fact that so many (read: all) of their designs are similar. Bit like the Porsche 911 actually!

Silverspeed
I saw on the board the other day, a member who got a very elegant 288 and put it on a huge thick 'belt' strap, Panerai themselves don't do that

Who me......??

IMG_4996kopie.jpg

Ps I don't wear Hublots...:)

Baldrick

I don't think it was you Silver, however I have to say that strap doesn't suit the 288, it's a dress sports watch, you'd be better with something from APB in Paris to dress the watch, the 288 is a gorgeous watch with doubt, but, just as you can wear a crumply suit and carry it off because you are wearing great shoes, the same rule applies with 'most' watches, put it on a great strap and it'll look the mutt's nuts, your strap simply lets it down, compare it with some of the Radiomirs below, your strap unfortunately doesn't compare, JMO, BIKIR :)

Take your inspiration from some of their straps, on Panerai and others !

Longines_watchbands_bracelet_montre.jpg

Panerai_Daylight_strap_bracelet_montre.jpg

Panerai_Radiomir_GMT_straps.jpg

Panerai_strap_watchstrap_watchband.jpg

Panerai_straps_bracelet_montre_Panerai_ABP.jpg

Straps_Panerai_Radiomir_watchbands.jpg

THEONE.jpg

Bracelet_montre_Breguet_type_XX_strap.jpg

Silverspeed

True a croc strap from ABP would look very good on a Pam

IMG_4471kopie.jpg

Brightlight

It's a strange thing. The truth is that very few people would be attracted to Pams as is the case in real life, however for some reason on the forums people go mad for the reps, the Emperor's new clothes syndrome I suspect, and you get caught out in the "Is there something wrong with me" doubt so you buy one and find they grow on you. If you're lucky, you'll come out the other side, I had six at one time, now I have none. Rather like smoking, it's best not to start.

solkryssare

I think Panerai makes some very good looking watches. Just dont like the "we-have-pams-and-there-for-belong-to-the-cool-kids-club" -hype I see on some of the forums.

Baldrick

Don't listen to that old guy Brightlight, he's a 38mm Rolex Datejust fud pensioner, the truth is that there are some great PAMS out there, especially the Radiomirs, they don't wear as large as the 111's etc, look more like a normal watch and can be very dressy as you can see from some of the photos !

Del

PAMs might not be to everyone's taste, but they can hardly be classed as ugly! They have a unique, simple design that I think is quite stunning. (I was only introduced to them through this forum too, but I now have two with a third on the way :)).

The other interesting think about PAMs is that their straps also seem to become a feature of the watch, more so than any other watch in my opinion. Whether a gen-copy or aftermarket, the strap has a huge bearing on how each PAM looks - making them even more individual.

Having said that, Baldrick - some of the straps you just posted photos of are fugly mate ;):).

Baldrick

IMG_4471kopie.jpg

IIRC, is that not an APB that you invested in, if so, you should swap it out with the strap currently on your Rad, the 111 will suit it better and vice versa !

Baldrick
Having said that, Baldrick - some of the straps you just posted photos of are fugly mate

That's just a consequence of upbringing and lack of taste, plus, you're still a noob at this :)

PS. your shout for the pie and pints at the Argosy :)

djprone

I'm not a fan of PAMs, and i don't think i ever will be. The thing that put me off them totally is seeing that disgusting car crash wreck of a man Sylvester stallone wearing one. Thats enough to put someone off for a lifetime. I think there are nicer watches out there which are aimed at the same market, such as an IWC pilot. Another brand i just don't 'get' is Rolex, well, i get the history, but their watches are boring and all pretty much look the same (just like panerai), in fact, the only Rolex i would get would be a Milgauss - the least Rolex looking Rolex they make.

Del
Having said that, Baldrick - some of the straps you just posted photos of are fugly mate

That's just a consequence of upbringing and lack of taste, plus, you're still a noob at this :P

PS. your shout for the pie and pints at the Argosy :lol:

:lol:

Anytime at the Argosy :thumbsup2:.

Silverspeed

IMG_4471kopie.jpg

IIRC, is that not an APB that you invested in, if so, you should swap it out with the strap currently on your Rad, the 111 will suit it better and vice versa !

No can't do....won't fit, the ABP strap is a 24mm and the Rad strap is supposed to be 27mm....as you well know :lol:

oh....and it's a 312 not a 111 :lol:

Baldrick

They're ALL 111's Silver, as you well know, :lol:

Member X
I'm not a fan of PAMs, and i don't think i ever will be. The thing that put me off them totally is seeing that disgusting car crash wreck of a man Sylvester stallone wearing one. Thats enough to put someone off for a lifetime. I think there are nicer watches out there which are aimed at the same market, such as an IWC pilot. Another brand i just don't 'get' is Rolex, well, i get the history, but their watches are boring and all pretty much look the same (just like panerai), in fact, the only Rolex i would get would be a Milgauss - the least Rolex looking Rolex they make.

I have to say, I started off hating Rolex - I classed all (gen) owners as show-off flash bastards wanting to make a 'look at meeeeee!!!' statement, and figured that rep owners were looking to recreate that.

I bought a few sterile Rolex homages off ebay, simply because they were cheap snipe wins and I was looking to get more watches for as little outlay as I could, and I realised that the size is just right - not too big, not too small - and that they have an amazing ability to be worn casual and look cool as well as worn smart and look classy, even as 'cheap' homages!

Since then I've now got a 2010 Explorer 1 that I love :P (even if so far it's been a nightmare watch ;) lol), a vintage 1675 GMT and 5514 Comex Sub, a blue Cerachrome Sub, and I still want to buy a Sub LV, a Serti Sub franken, a Sea Dweller, a DateJust franken or two, a Datejust II or two (even if 41mm is pushing the limits of size for a Rolex IMO), a vintage Daytona... and even one of these 'Rolerai' that greg keeps tempting me with ;) lol

I just like them as they can be understated or shouty, depending on your mood, and they seem to fit every occasion!

PAMs are somehow 'just right' on the wrist too - 47mm versions sound massive but they don't really wear that big :drool: and the clean, simple lines of all of them seem boring in pictures but somehow seem to have new shapes everytime you look at them on the wrist ;) They are also endlessly customisable just by swapping straps - so you can wear a 'street' ragged, vintage strap during the day with a massive buckle, and swap to a classy leather or croc strap with deployant buckle for the evening just by undoing a couple of screws :drool:

I say ignore BL - get a $99 PAM 111 and 127 off Robert and see how you go... ;)

You can always sell them on or, at that price, use them as learning watches and strip them down to rebuild them with dials or finishes you prefer! ;)