Sign in to follow this  
wat44

Fast seconds

wat44

Is there a way to have the "seconds" hand rotate at, say, revolutions lasting 20 seconds?

I.e. 3 revolutions to advance the minute hand one

greg_r

wat44 wins the P_Diddy Memorial Trophy for silliest question of the week.

:Drinking2:

:D

trailboss99

Yes there is. Such "fast clocks" are used in wargames and scale modeling.

All you need to do is file the correct number of teeth of the escarpment

so the watch speeds up. The seconds hand is gunna be rough tho and I've only

seen it done on clocks. You may like to try shortening the efective length of the

hairspring instead.

Col

Brightlight

Col that would speed the entire watch up, not give three revolutions of the second hand per minute. No there is no way short of redesigning the gear train or major modification with displaced second hand and extra gearing.

Wat doesn't so much think outside the box as outside the fucking planet!

Baldrick

Is this for the purpose of masturbation :)

wat44

I had a dream about a Pam with a really fast seconds hand going around 180 times an hour - it looked great!

One for the blitzkrieg rolerai, maybe

trailboss99

wat? he wants to speed up just the seconds hand? Why? :)

wat44

It looks great - I've seen it!

(just another gear wheel thingy, yes?)

wat44

Now, I've been giving this some thought.

Surely, there are sundials for chronos that run fractions of seconds?

Eg tenths? Wouldn't that be useful for my application? I'm not fixed on 3 times a minutes, that's just way was in my dream last night

wat44

Double post (maybe should have triple post!)

Edited by wat44

Brightlight

What you have to consider Wat is the Relativity Effect. The second hand moving three times faster will age at a slower rate relative to the rest of the watch and will require more energy and therefore more mass (In nomine Parnis.....), and you risk distorting the very fabric of Time itself. Have you considered train spotting instead? I'm sure it would fascinate you and keep you fully occupied without the pain of having to use your brain.

Brightlight

What you have to consider Wat is the Relativity Effect. The second hand moving three times faster will age at a slower rate relative to the rest of the watch and will require more energy and therefore more mass (In nomine Parnis.....), and you risk distorting the very fabric of Time itself. Have you considered train spotting instead? I'm sure it would fascinate you and keep you fully occupied without the pain of having to use your brain.

wat44

I see the cracks appearing already

rc42

You could try drugs, if you take the right combination and in a high enough quantity the whole world will speed by while you sit there drooling, I guess your watch would appear to be running really fast if you can find your own wrists, or if you can remember why you took the drugs in the first place.

You could even log on to an internet forum and ask some questions that seem to make sense to you.

Oh, sorry, you've already tried that :P

wat44

It was and still is a serious question . Surely there's enough knowledge here to make this happen

greg_r

Seriously, wat, I've never seen it done, but of course it would be possible - it's just about the gear ratio used to drive the second hand. The movement would have to be designed for the purpose, though...

The closest I've seen to something like this would be the Perrelet turbine watch - but it's the 'dial' (well, a set of turbine-style blades) that spins fast, not the second hand.

trailboss99

Appart from that, there is no way the poor auto wind would keep up to the extra energy required to drive it.

You would be winding it twice a day at least.

wat44

Wat about quartz movt?

Baldrick

I can design a movement with modified gear train that will do the job, but first you'd need to tell me why and the Everest answer won't do ?

wat44

honestly - i had a dream last night and i saw a watch with a seconds hand going really fast and it caught my eye.

I spoke to the guy wearing it and it transpired that it rotated 3 times a minute (ie a "20 seconds hand" if you like)

so i guess the answer really is everest

speaking to people, im guessing the way to go is quartz

rc42

The Breitling 30' has a chronograph seconds hand which does a complete rotation every 30 seconds instead of the usual 60 and has the usual running seconds at 3, none of the reps of that watch duplicate that complication though, in fact most have the running seconds at 9 as per the standard 7750.

Again, with quartz, it would be easier to speed up the movement just by changing the oscillator crystal or tweaking the electronics but that would make the entire watch run fast, you'd still have the gearing problem to change the ratio of seconds hand complete rotations to minute hand complete rotations from 60:1 to 180:1

If you do make it a project I wish you the best with it.

wat44

I think the easiest way to go is find a split seconds chrono and make that the "seconds" indicator, and remove the real seconds hand

I think it will be faster than wat I was shooting for, however

wat44

ok - I concede defeat

JohnG

I have a movement like that, but it rotates six times a minute - have never seen one at three times per, that would be interesting...