Sign in to follow this  
Left Coast Guy

Phantom Mods (RANT)

GenTLe

I buy the same exact model of strap for my Panerai. Each and every one is on an identical strap. I prefer to buy head only so the missus doesn't suspect a new watch!.

I suggest to buy different straps and tell her you stopped buying watches because "now I am into straps, which are waaaaaaay cheaper!". Then put a different strap on each Pam and tell her they are the same watch just with a different strap ;)

GoW13

Changed bracelet to leather, and worn it to give it that used look....

That´s called patina! Or vintage...

GenTLe

Actually I think that a service adds some value to the watch. I recently (this weekend) did it to a watch I got m2m which had 160° amplitude and the balance was even stopping when placed face down.

It took me around 8h to do a proper job on it and now the movement is just "like new", keeping perfect time and ready to tick safe for at least 4 or 5 years.

This is certainly not the way they comes from the TDs (they may keep good time at the beginning, but they are going to wear earlier than a serviced one for sure).

I don't mean that I should charge 8h work on it, but at least a 40/50$ more that what I would quote it without that job done.

court

I buy the same exact model of strap for my Panerai. Each and every one is on an identical strap. I prefer to buy head only so the missus doesn't suspect a new watch!

See I said they all look alike. :Whistle:

MetalMickey
Movement broken in by wearing....

And if the movement is fucked you can call it 'lightly aged'

That would be "broken-in to authentic periode-typical condition"

That's the 'full service by Finish certificated watch maker'

Shouldn't that read "Finished watch maker " :)

:rimshot:

Kcore

Was reading an M2M on the Darkside and one of the "Mods" highlighted was " Round End Springbar Mod" for gen look. :picard2:

Kleen™
Was reading an M2M on the Darkside and one of the "Mods" highlighted was " Round End Springbar Mod" for gen look. :picard2:

The sublimation of trivial trivialities...

trailboss99

Well technically that is a mod because the SB holes need to be drilled to accommodate the larger bars. It's not just a matter of slipping in new bars. I see your point however.

Kcore

Well technically that is a mod because the SB holes need to be drilled to accommodate the larger bars. It's not just a matter of slipping in new bars. I see your point however.

Just to clearify, the mod wasn't for drilling lugs to accommodate the larger SB. The mod was "rounding the ends of the SB" themselves to make them look gen. Now that's :daffy:

Mazz
I will start selling my watches fully wound and set to the right time

McNair used to do that

trailboss99

Just to clearify, the mod wasn't for drilling lugs to accommodate the larger SB. The mod was "rounding the ends of the SB" themselves to make them look gen. Now that's :daffy:

In that case, OMFG :facepalm:

LightGeek

-- Cyclops aligned to parallel with date

-- Re-aligned date wheel to be centered

-- Aligned bezel perfectly at 12

-- Rehaut aligned perfectly at 12

...I'm going to expect the cyclops is centered....or I'm not going to buy. That's not a "mod", that's the way the watch comes from the factory.....right?

Those things I used to do, and usually posted for the world to see the process. To your point, good luck expecting the date wheel, cyclops, rehaut, LEC (you didn't mention that), bezel all lined up all the time. I want to see you ask for QC pics showing all the dates :)