Sign in to follow this  
Piloten

"Proper" pilot's watches?

Piloten

Sitting at lunch with an abinitio student the other day, the subject of timepieces came up. My student proudly showed off his Torogen flight computer and asked me what I wear.

That day was the oris regulator, as we were doing navigation practice and my aging eyes like the huge, red outline minute hand.

"But" he spluttered, "that's a dive watch."

I indicated that I rotate around the collection, depending on, well, nothing much. Generally I will put on either a GMT or a chrono but If I'm doing anything with cargo, I will wear a rep of one kind of another.

He was horrified. "You wear a replica watch? Flying? You can't do that! You need a proper pilot's watch!"

Over the years, I have seen pretty much as many kinds of watch as there are pilots, with sort of an inverse size/complication to experience ratio.

What features do the pilots in the group "need" in a flying watch?

Best,

-John

Dommysam

Sat Nav

Left Coast Guy

Readability and good lume....ever flown a night flight in 1950's Cessna with minimal instrumentation?

Piloten

Does a 195 count?

FunnyStarSystem

I've often wondered myself. Though I'm not a pilot I do own the latest Citizen Skyhawk and that thing is so complicated and difficult to read, I hazard the thought of a pilot fiddling with it in the cockpit. The one commercial pilot I do know, flies jets domestically for United, wears a G-shock, lol. But I would imagine in a modern commercial jet you'd have no need for any watch at all. Is that a correct assumption?

Anyway, interesting topic.

Piloten

Up here in canukistan, regulations require the wearing of a timepiece, doesn't say on a wrist or around your neck. Past that, you are completely correct. Modern cockpits have easily available time without the need of having to look down

Arism

Some people will say you don't need a watch in a modern flight deck. From the picture below, I say always bring a backup!

20931684038_18589d38f4_z.jpg

I too rotate my collection but generally end up choosing pieces with good legibility.

15191864484_c305d85974_b.jpg

14250109742_e2b6465999_b.jpg

15607055882_87444717c0_b.jpg

As far as what qualities should entail a "proper" pilot watch; it should be legible & reliable. Quartz or mechanical, if it doesn't keep good time, it's not much use.

Flight computer watches can be a great backup, though I'd much rather still use my Jeppesen CR2 than fiddle around with my watch.

Basically you could use any watch you choose. If you like it, that's all that matters. It'll tell the time regardless on whether it actually a pilot watch, dive watch etc etc.

replicastuff

iwc topgun for me:

20140118_080429_zps73efa25a.jpg

andyboy

For those Pilots that may need to eject.

P4101215_zpsfce77e32.jpg

flyr

Readability and good lume....ever flown a night flight in 1950's Cessna with minimal instrumentation?

I did my ppl/cpl in the early 70's using a 1959 Cessna 150.

Very dim with the overhead spot light.

The old flashlight clenched with my teeth turned me into a drooling monstrosity.

I used a Seiko diver for most of my flying career.(good readability in poor lighting conditions)

I stay away from chrono type watches as they usually have finer hands that my old (but still functioning) eyes can handle.

trailboss99

Anything by IWC is usually a pretty good choice for me, either my MK-XVII or Top Gun due to the fact they are so easy to read. The mighty Navitimer is still king but like many here my eyes are too old to read the thing easily nowadays.

P4101215_zpsfce77e32.jpg

Na, why buy one when they give you a free one afterwards?

FunnyStarSystem

I had to look up "abinitio" - learned a new term today although I recognized the Latin.

Kcore

Guess you didn't see my post about the Longines Lindberg Hour Angle watch. Hodinkee did a great write-up on the history of flight navigation, John Harrison's contributions, Lucky Lindy and his "dead reckoning," and of course the man, the myth, the legend of air nav, Philip Van Horn Weems.

if you're a pilot, like navigation or a history buff, it's a good read

https://www.hodinkee...our-angle-watch

Piloten

No, I missed that one. Thank you for the link

Best,

-John

CedricWX
20150904_084715_zps1lcfq6nn.jpg

blancoMatto

My friend flys for BA and wears a GMT II. Helps him keep track of time at home whilst he is overseas.

Piloten

That Alpina is fantastic. 48mm or so?

CedricWX

That Alpina is fantastic. 48mm or so?

42 maybe? Buckle is at the side, looks well.

Piloten

Great, clean watch.

porschespeedster

i haven't flown in years, but i think I would want an IWC quartz rep.

Quartz b/c accuracy, and IWC rep because I haven't found a gen that looks as clean and as nice as the IWCs on offer.

andyboy

Anything by IWC is usually a pretty good choice for me, either my MK-XVII or Top Gun due to the fact they are so easy to read. The mighty Navitimer is still king but like many here my eyes are too old to read the thing easily nowadays.

P4101215_zpsfce77e32.jpg

I better not tell the old man that.He didn`t pay RRP but certainly wasn`t free

Kleen™

Imo this is the closest you can get to an original pilot watch in design. They also build a 55mm version, which is just humongous!

trailboss99

P4101215_zpsfce77e32.jpg

I better not tell the old man that.He didn`t pay RRP but certainly wasn`t free

Hmm, they started out as free. MB picked up the tab for the first batch.

HeavyKrush

If it's good enough for Charles Lindbergh, should be good enough for just about anyone?

longines-hour-angle-watch-01_zps48a78809-800x450_zpsq4rodcik.jpg

trailboss99

Ah yes, that is rather nice. Very reasonable price as well.