Sign in to follow this  
_DC_

MIXED FEELINGS: About the new Patek 5940 rep.... opinions?!?

_DC_

As the title says, I have mixed feeling about this new Miyota powered offering for us Patek nuts!!

Here's the pics, I've chosen this configuration as it's the one I'd have and the other dial configurations are fantasy accept the black equivalent which represents the platinum gen model...

084092BB-C2DC-43B7-BA54-6323D07002CF_zpsvytumzgf.jpg

73E8844A-D034-4E0C-9A23-EAB5EA3FEEE0_zpszrcyutjv.jpg

So the ref 5940 is the non-chronograph little brother to the 5020 perpetual calendar chronograph, a very unusual "cushion" or "TV set" shaped watch released in 1995. The 5940 was launched in 2012, by which time the world had grown to love the shape which had initially not gone down so well with the market in the 90s!

The Gen...

7C6EB6E9-92E1-4205-8528-6CCEC9FE85BB_zpsemiuostk.jpg

I spotted the rep pop up on Perfect Clones while having my usual morning TD check-up, and by all accounts it's a very fair "homage" to the gen, though the usual issues of subdial spacing and not being able to actually offer perpetual or even annual calendar complication are evident as you would expect.

But that's when I spotted the first problem. It has a day of the week indicator, and it has what would appear to be a month indicator (presumably manually corrected like any rep) but it has no date indication.... how useless is that?! I know it's Saturday and I know it's September, but the date.... not a clue! And where's the faux moonphase?!? And before anyone chimes in, it IS imminently possible in a rep, indeed the 5970 rep I'm wearing as we speak has day, date, month year AND faux moonphase all built onto an A2824 base movement, though only the day and date are automatic at midnight, the others are manually corrected and of course the moonphase is a day/night indicator, but it's there!!!

So that's a bummer, but worse is when rep makers make mistakes that aren't forced on them by the limitations of movement or materials, like giving the dial a chapter ring when it should be applied markers, they manage it on the Calatravas so why not here?!?

As I said, mixed feelings, and that is because in spite of these errors, it's a very attractive, correctly sized (woohoo 37mm for a complicated rep, praise be to the rep factories) and extremely "Patek" looking rep with a quality movement and more than likely a quality finish judging by all other Miyota based offerings!!

I'm very tempted, despite the downsides, coz the 5940 is such a charming watch, and I'd really like something "different" in the collection!!

In the meantime I have something very unexpected on it's way to me, which you'll have to wait for, but this could be next on the list!

Here's the gen bellow the rep for comparison!!

475AC57D-86F4-41DC-9997-649AB8C7C1DE_zpstm4pfst1.jpg

What do you lot reckon?!?

DC

onzenuub

Nope, to far from the gen.

Mike on a bike

Why bother repping so far off as onzenub said it is laughable.

Duzza

Its a bit shit really isn't it?

Kleen™
Its a bit shit really isn't it?

Yup.

_DC_

It is frustrating!

On the or hand it's great to see new Patek reps of old models coming out, it give hope, but on the other hand I fear that people won't buy them because they're so far out and as a result the factories will give up and go back to churning out APs and PAMs ad nauseam!

DC

onzenuub

It is frustrating!

On the or hand it's great to see new Patek reps of old models coming out, it give hope, but on the other hand I fear that people won't buy them because they're so far out and as a result the factories will give up and go back to churning out APs and PAMs ad nauseam!

DC

Or it wil be the signal for producing better reps.

BenjaminButton

It's as you say very far from the original - dial and movement - but as you say the 5970 reps have managed to recreate the sub-dials, of sorts. Ignoring the the movement which is hard given the display back. For me the sub dials design is so poor with completely different layout and font that they simply look ugly and Patek don't do ugly, in my opinion.

Sounds like your chomping at the bit for new Pateks Dave!

Edit.... Sell up the reps, remortgage the house and buy a genuine Patek!

_DC_

It is frustrating!

DC

Or it wil be the signal for producing better reps.

Well you've been in this game a damn site longer than me so you'd have a better idea, I hope you're right!

DC

Gazzla

Rubbish.

_DC_
It's as you say very far from the original - dial and movement - but as you say the 5970 reps have managed to recreate the sub-dials, of sorts. Ignoring the the movement which is hard given the display back. For me the sub dials design is so poor with completely different layout and font that they simply look ugly and Patek don't do ugly, in my opinion.

Sounds like your chomping at the bit for new Pateks Dave!

No more so than usual...... so yes that's quite a lot haha! Not got funds for now anyway though so no disaster, been distracted by other things, but a good Patek rep would be nice, still might give the 5975 multi scale rep a whirl at some point!!

DC

Godfathar

Unfortunately it's way off. It doesn't even look like a patek philippe to me.

But that miscellaneous section on PC website is growing a huge collection of pateks. I don't get why having them not with the rest of the watches at the Patek section!!

_DC_
Unfortunately it's way off. It doesn't even look like a patek philippe to me.

But that miscellaneous section on PC website is growing a huge collection of pateks. I don't get why having them not with the rest of the watches at the Patek section!!

Yeah I still haven't figured out what the bejesus "Wechat" is and why they're in a seperate section, they churn out plenty of shit fantasy watches and the very occasional little gem from the looks of it!

I disagree though, I think it's instantly recognisable as a Patek personally, but still way off as you say!

DC

Stewart

I love Patek but the problem (with the reps) for me is the finishing. It is so far from gen it makes it hard to appreciate. If they would spend as much time with Patek as they do AP I would would be more inclined to order one. Really once you have spent time around gen Pateks the currently available reps just don't do them justice.

This model falls into the same category for me, not a bad watch but a poor replication.

tesmith2112

It looked decent until you look at it next to the gen. That spoiled it big time for me.

porschespeedster

one day i'll own a real Patek.

ah, yes, and that rep looks rather nasty.

Boycie

It's a no from me......

7267F9C5-513E-437B-A472-23D961397D51_zps4nps4g4u.jpg

Lagger

Far too far away from the gen I wouldn't even bother unless it was cheap,I mean even engraving the case back when the gen is blank?

Must have been bring your kid to work day when this rep was conceived