Sign in to follow this  
jaykay

SWISS ETA vs Asian 21J

jaykay

Hi,

I'm a noob and was wondering is it really worth paying double for a SWISS ETA? Isn't the shell of the watch exactly the same regardless or is more detail paid to the SWISS models?

Also all genuine high end swiss watches need to be serviced so if you pay say $260 for a SWISS rep does it need to be serviced?

How long realistically would a swiss rep last if looked after?

I'm considering buying a swiss eta Omega OceanMaster.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

wat44

you are almost guaranteed to get an asian clone ETA even if you pay extra for swiss eta

sconehead

Go for a clone ETA...In the main the gen ETA's are refurbished/used movements anyway.

All mechanical watches need servicing at some point, I have ETA, clone ETA, A7750 and A21j movements that still run strong/accurate after 3+ years.

Sometimes there are differences between the quality of A21j reps and their ETA (whether they be gen or clone) counterparts.

Basically the 21j are throw away movements that are replaced rather than serviced as they're so cheap to buy. Clone ETA's however can be serviced/have parts replaced...did I say get a clone ETA?

The second hands sweep smoother too...:lol:

Member X

Read the movement guide for detailed info on the differences :lol:

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=6930

ETA offers gen-like smooth sweep and (usually secondhand) swiss or (new but lower quality control) Asian are much the same quality - they both will need a service to get them running perfectly but they are generally good out the box for a couple of years at least :) Some have problems but they're soon fixed with a service, generally!

If you're not worried about smooth sweep and are happy with slightly less smooth sweep, save $$$ and go for Asian 21j movements (cheaper to replace than service! but usually work well :huh:) in a ETA-movement case!

Member X
you are almost guaranteed to get an asian clone ETA even if you pay extra for swiss eta

Perhaps the case on other boards :lol: but Mary, Lay and Robert will provide swiss if sold as swiss, as I understand it!

pollux1

My clone ETA in a DJII winds better, has a better power reserve and is more accurate than my gen Oris TTI. No contest really.

JohnG

There are plenty of gen Swiss ETA reps out there, but the clone is good quality and much less expensive. The 21J is VERY inexpensive, but has a lower beat rate, there is supposed to be a high beat 21J but the two I have bought were not high beat - it was a lie.

wat44

memberx - if roberts putting the mvt in, then yes - otherwise even our best dealers will (unknowlingly) supply a clone with eta stamp on it

zub3qin
Go for a clone ETA...In the main the gen ETA's are refurbished/used movements anyway.

All mechanical watches need servicing at some point, I have ETA, clone ETA, A7750 and A21j movements that still run strong/accurate after 3+ years.

Sometimes there are differences between the quality of A21j reps and their ETA (whether they be gen or clone) counterparts.

Basically the 21j are throw away movements that are replaced rather than serviced as they're so cheap to buy. Clone ETA's however can be serviced/have parts replaced...did I say get a clone ETA?

The second hands sweep smoother too...:lol:

People always say that 21Js are throwaway movements, as they are so cheap.... but the watches are still at least $100 and it may be impossible to get another rep three years later when it dies, as good as the one you have now. So it is not a guarantee that you can just buy another rep when the 21J dies. It is not as if you can just buy another 21J movement and pop it in. Or is that a possibility?

wat44

yes, you can buy another mvt and put it in

of course, the movt is only $30 or something - the real cost is the watchmaker

sometimes easier to buy a whole new watch which is wat I did last time a cheapie of mine died

jaykay

Thanks for all your input. If I did plump for a swiss-clone or swiss and down the line it needed servicing I couldn't take it to a regular jeweller/watchmaker could I? I live in the UK by the way.

greg_r

You'll need to find a rep-friendly watchmaker. Many won't work on reps.

However, being in the UK you're in luck as we have a UK-based watchsmith here at RWG. He's good and his prices are very reasonable. You'll find his subforum linked from the home page of the board - he's going to be working on a couple of my own watches fairly soon.

Take a bow, Brightlight :itchyandscratchy:

JohnG
memberx - if roberts putting the mvt in, then yes - otherwise even our best dealers will (unknowlingly) supply a clone with eta stamp on it

MAY supply.

Plenty of watches with Swiss ETA's are still being delivered.

This stuff about how there are no more gen ETA's out there is nonsense, been listening to it for three years, all the while people are getting gens.

Are there lots of clones sold as gen? Sure, but you can't say, "our best dealers will (unknowlingly) supply a clone with eta stamp on it" - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

wat44

I stand corrected