Sign in to follow this  
bgreg

My worst nightmare has come to pass: Montauk Hwy A7750 "DEAD"

bgreg

@simonbolivar

That was just pure luck having it in the car, I took it for a local buyer to see last night and just never took it out of the car.

But I think I will start stashing a spare in there after this.lol

bgreg

Dr Yan

Yeah I kinda stretched that "worst nightmare" a little bit........ :blush:

alexjustdoit

Same thing happened more or less to my MH recently as well. Sent it off to Vac for a service, $265 :( hopefully that resolves it for the next few years... if I ever get it back. Vac sent it back to me a month and a half later, something else was wrong with it, now its been back with him for almost another month. God damn rep game

bgreg

Same thing happened more or less to my MH recently as well. Sent it off to Vac for a service, $265 :( hopefully that resolves it for the next few years... if I ever get it back. Vac sent it back to me a month and a half later, something else was wrong with it, now its been back with him for almost another month. God damn rep game

See that's my conundrum, do I put another $265 in it after being $620 in already, knowing I can't get my money back out of it, not even close to it. I like it but I don't like it that much. So do I cut my losses and put it up for sale, with the Orloff strap and the prof AR crystal I might find a buyer who can do his own repair work and get a nice watch. Be on the lookout for a sales thread.

alexjustdoit

See that's my conundrum, do I put another $265 in it after being $620 in already, knowing I can't get my money back out of it, not even close to it. I like it but I don't like it that much. So do I cut my losses and put it up for sale, with the Orloff strap and the prof AR crystal I might find a buyer who can do his own repair work and get a nice watch. Be on the lookout for a sales thread.

I feel ya. You've got more into yours than I did so that's a tough one. Was easier for me cause when I bought it, it came defective so the seller gave me a partial refund towards the cost of repair.

You could always put it up for sale, see what kind of attention you get, and if you have no luck you still have the option of withdrawing. Hopefully if you sell it you don't lose a big chunk of money that you put in, though usually that's what I see happen.

Though with a nice strap and ARed crystal, its a beautiful watch, if I were you I'd probably still keep it and get it repaired. Properly fixed up I think it should give you quite a while of trouble free life.

Edited by alexjustdoit

gigahertz15

I always budget for a service when I buy ROOs.

Usually get it done before it breaks, as I spend a bit on mods. Worth it IMO, especially for the models that look gen close after a few mods.

TheSociety

Really bummed I missed the M2M on this :(

philippe123

Seconds at 6 or 12 are both timebombs. :frusty:

What does it mean: sec at 6 or sec at 12 ?

willing to learn..... :banhamster:

JSJ

Seconds at 6 or 12 are both timebombs. :frusty:

What does it mean: sec at 6 or sec at 12 ?

willing to learn..... :banhamster:

The running second hand is at the 6 o'clock or 12 o'clock position.

The standard 7750 has running seconds at 9 o'clock. Moving this to the other positions means extra gears and these are not usually implemented very well, resulting in extra stress on the movement. This often results in failure of the movement.

It's a long story, not as simple as I have written here. There are many variations. The gen movement makers work with better detailed design, more precision and cleanliness, therefore resulting in better reliability.

philippe123

So When a model is made where de second hand doesn't run on the 9 but elswhere , it's often no good?

Maybe the best thing is ,not bying a watch with chrono? :noway:

philippe123

As I can see , most of the watches are made with a 7750 movement instead of an ETA ....

So , no much choice left over then....

:whiteflag:

This because most of the AP's have seconds @12....

Edited by philippe123

JSJ

As I can see , most of the watches are made with a 7750 movement instead of an ETA ....

So , no much choice left over then....

:whiteflag:

This because most of the AP's have seconds @12....

Mmm but you haven't really got it. The 7750 is an Asian copy of an ETA7750 movement. Search and read the movement sticky.

philippe123

:dingleberry:

Thanks for the advice.

So when they say it's with a ETA Swiss movement it is a " real "Swiss movement ?? :iabounty:

JSJ
:dingleberry:

Thanks for the advice.

So when they say it's with a ETA Swiss movement it is a " real "Swiss movement ?? :iabounty:

Like, err, read the movement sticky man.

You will then know the Swiss thing is a cunning ploy to separate you from your folding stuff.

Motoman4540

Am I the only one that thinks something is odd with the original post here? First, these are delicate movements. Swinging them wildly and bashing them on your hand when they stop working is contraindicated. Second, even gens are recommended to have service every two or three years, and for an AP, that service is EXPENSIVE. Third, some are just more prone to problems than others. There is one watch that I got new, had it serviced by Vac, and it still stopped working two or three times before I finally got it repaired properly. Now it works like a charm! So don't get mad and beat your rep up... Get a competent local watch repair guy that you can bring it to that doesn't take 3-4 months and just get it fixed.

philippe123

Thanks for the info...man

Didn't know the topic... :heli: :coffee2:

3. Asian 'clone' ETA: These are literally copies/clones of the equivalent Swiss (ETA) automatic movements. Generally high quality - although not as well built as the Swiss equivalents - but reliable and with parts generally available (which makes servicing an easier proposition than some other movements). High beat (28,800) and great value. Probably the best choice of movement for higher-quality reps as they give the smooth sweep found in most gen watches

4. Swiss ETA 2836 (and variants): Supposedly the genuine ETA (owned by swatch group) swiss automatic movements. This is a complete lottery. The dealers rely on the factories to tell them what movement is supplied in the watch. Contrarily, the factories will often use whatever they have to hand. Combine this with the fact that there are almost no genuine ETA movements available to rep makers and that most that are around tend to be either used or refurbished (often with Asian parts), and you will understand why most of the long-term members of this board stick to Asian clone movements. I wouldn't recommend spending extra for ETA in a rep these days - however, see Sellita below as on some occasions the Sellita equivalent will be supplied instead.

Edited by philippe123