Sign in to follow this  
bgreg

My worst nightmare has come to pass: Montauk Hwy A7750 "DEAD"

bgreg

Ok it had to happen sooner or later, took my AP Montauk out of watch box this morning to wear, set time, got in car drove to my destination checked the time when I arrived, it was still where I set it 30 minutes earlier :angry: Luckily I had my Pam 380 in the car so I changed watches. I have heard these A7750 are ticking timebombs, but I thought sec@12 was ok. Bought this m2m from Johnnybaws who got it from profsteve, about 4 months ago.

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...howtopic=100493

2 well respected members, I have bought from both before no problems, excellent members, excellent watches. No blame anywhere, just the rep game. I smacked it in the palm of my hand several times, nothing. Gave it a few winds with crown nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing. :crybaby: So here I sit, with broken watch, and mad as shit, nothing to do, but take another fucking hit :Drinking2: .

I got over $600 in this bad boy, don't know if I want to put more in it. Anybody got any ideas or any reputable member with repair skills willing to help a brother out... Please let me know...

Thanks

greg

IMG_20150428_123927.jpg

Takken

Just give it to me I can throw it in the garbage for you...

bgreg

Just give it to me I can throw it in the garbage for you...

I'm sure it will wind up in a garbage can near your work bench!

Takken

It will wind up for sure...

nunu78

time for a service mate, as we all know it would happen. I've just bought myself AP roo Panda, which is soon heading out to watchsmith for the service.

nofitstate

I'd take the back off and make sure nothing has come loose first.

I Had the auto winding weight on my Panda come loose which stopped the movement, a quick fix and not the dreaded seconds at 12 problem I first thought it was.

BigsCG

this may sound a bit ridiculous, but smack the watch, face down on your palm. I've had a few asian movements in my time that needed a jump start, either b/c a hand tube started rubbing against a dial, or a poorly oiled rotor would wind, etc... then SMACK, tic, tic, tic....and all is good until i can get it sorted. Besides, everything deserves a little smack now and then anyways.

Takken

Or wind the shit out of it, it may set the little bugger to life again.

Pure B

The sec@12 are the worst actually

bgreg

@BigsCG; Yeah I gave it the palm smack already, nothing.

@nunu78 ; I'm sure it is time for a service.

@nofitstate ; I don't like opening up watches, 2 left hands. Parts are so fucking tiny!

@Takken; I have given her a good winding,NOTHING!

The sec@12 are the worst actually

I thought the seconds at 6 on the 7750 was the real timebombs, like on the Daytonas?

flyr

Seconds at 6 or 12 are both timebombs. :frusty:

JSJ

The secs@6 Daytona is different and much worse than the Portuguese secs@6. Much more complicated gear train.

Take a look at what is happening on the secs@12 compared with the native secs@9. What could possibly go wrong?

Duzza
The secs@6 Daytona is different and much worse than the Portuguese secs@6. Much more complicated gear train.

Take a look at what is happening on the secs@12 compared with the native secs@9. What could possibly go wrong?

Why? What's the difference?

onzenuub

The Asian 7750 movement has its natural seconds output at position 9. However, these watches have the output at position 12. Therefore, a modification is employed, and it is known that this mod is very problematic and many buyers have finished with a brick instead of a watch. Same for the watches with seconds @ 6.

bgreg

Ok so other then seconds@9 they are all piece of shit.....

Takken

Not all, but many are risky as hell.

N.Rico

I dont want to experience that in my 7750 APs ,hope you can resolve it soon ,good luck bg.

bgreg

Thanks nalonrico I hope to get it resolved...

Moondustesp

Goodluck hope you have it sorted soon

JSJ

Why? What's the difference?

You mean with the secs@12? I've never had one apart but if you look at the movement, they have moved the running secs from 9 to 12 and the minute counter from 12 to 9 so there must be loads going on. Like I said, what could possibly go wrong?

I'd actually love to dissect a secs@12 and see if it can be fixed. When I buy a non-running Portuguese secs@6, and I've fixed a few, I take off the extra bridges and see if the basic movement will run. They usually do. That means the extra transfer gears are causing the movement to stop. Then I dismantle the transfer mechanism and clean it, lube it (can't beat a good lube) and reassemble. This often fixes the issue.

That's why Portuguese secs@6 don't scare me.

Del

That's a bummer mate. :(

The extra jewel mod is the answer (some of the newer AP reps apparently have this direct from the factory...if your's has it then I guess a service is required), but that'll be another few hundred bucks I believe.

Takken

So wouldn't Ulysse Nardine Maxi Divers fall into this risk as well? Any experience with those?

JSJ
So wouldn't Ulysse Nardine Maxi Divers fall into this risk as well? Any experience with those?

If they are not native secs@9, yes.

Don't forget all rep movements can have issues though. Don't be too hard on the 7750.

simonbolivar
...Luckily I had my Pam 380 in the car so I changed watches...

Sorry to hear man, it really sucks when one of the expensive ones go tits up. But I had to chuckle at the fact that you just happened to have another watch in the car. You know you're into this hobby deep, when you've got back ups stashed around.

Dr Yan

Worst nightmare ......hmmm!