Sign in to follow this  
sugaray

Rolex Ceramic GMT

sugaray

I have read mixed reviews about this watch mainly the reliability of the movement. Now The ICHS version of the swiss 2836-2, how reliable is this movement?

rychastings

its an eta clone so it cant be too bad although QC varies

rc42

The 2836-2 movement has a day function as well as date but the dial only shows the date on the GMT-II and most other reps that use that movement. This is important because the day function changes once every 24 hours, just as the GMT hand roates once every 24 hours, so it only taks a small modification to add an extra hand at the bottom of the stack and pick up the once every 24 hours rotation.

This minimal modification means no real extra load on the watch movement and very little to go wrong, generally this is a very reliable modification. Now the CHS (or Rolex hand order) is another story, it involves several additional gears which do not have jeweled bearings and lots of extra load on the moving parts and if you adjust the GMT time it will fail sooner, it will fail anyway, its just a matter of when.

The ICHS is a safe option though but with any rep watch some are much better than others, but for reliability it will probably be no worse than a non GMT 2836, you roll the dice and take a chance just like the rest of us

Brightlight

+1 for reliability of the 2836-2 ICHS, but count on getting it serviced at some point. Quality control is poor on the clone and modded movements and dirt, hair and loose screws are common finds in these movements. Parts are available for these movements which is a big plus point.

Silverspeed

I've had several GMT's all with the ICHS ETA 2836 and never hand any problem with them.

I believe 99% of the problems were with the CHS version, which are no longer available for quite some time now....so I'd say nothing to worry about getting on of the current GMT's