Sign in to follow this  
samurai dave

Everyday wear?

samurai dave

Hi guys,

Do you wear you rep every day? What if you get asked if it is gen do you lie? Is ok to travel around the world with it on? I would guess that customs and officials would not know the difference at a quick glance or am I wrong? (wouldnt be the first time)

I am only asking because my first rep is on its way and I would like to know how safe/legal it is to wear in the UK and throughout the world without having my nice watch taken off me and destroyed.

Slim

Interesting question. Wearing one in the UK is easy, don't give it a second thought. It's very rare in my experience to be asked about your watch, even when it's a more conspicuous model like a Rolex GMT master, and even when it's genuine. There's nothing illegal about wearing a replica, either.

As for travelling internationally, I suppose it depends where you go. Hadn't thought about it but perhaps someone else will comment. I doubt personally that any customs officer would confiscate one unless you had a suitcase full. Not worth bothering about a single cheap watch for personal use, I would guess.

What did you buy?

djprone

You'll be totally fine in the uk. I'd be a bit funny wearing a rep to switzerland or italy though

solkryssare

Id say you are safe all over the world. Only in an AD would some one care......

samurai dave

Thanks for the quick response.

Slim, I have ordered a ROLEX SUBMARINER CERAMIC SS BLACK ASIAN 2836 from Lay which is on its way as we speak. I just wondered about other countries because I travel a lot with work and dont want to get caught out, could be a bit pants getting it taken away in front of your mates.

What do you say if anyone asks you if you watch is gen? I think I will be inclined to say it was a gift and end the conversation there.

I will be interested to hear peoples experiences.

Cheers.

greg_r

I've travelled a lot wearing reps and the question doesn't arise - I've never ever been asked if the watch I was wearing was gen.

Del

Slim, I have ordered a ROLEX SUBMARINER CERAMIC SS BLACK ASIAN 2836 from Lay which is on its way as we speak. I just wondered about other countries because I travel a lot with work and dont want to get caught out, could be a bit pants getting it taken away in front of your mates.

What do you say if anyone asks you if you watch is gen? I think I will be inclined to say it was a gift and end the conversation there.

Cheers.

Depends what you're comfortable with. All my colleagues in work and my close friends and family know I buy reps and it doesn't bother me. Other people I've met in business situations probably assume they're gens - I certainly don't go out of my way to tell them otherwise but if they asked I would probably tell them (hasn't happened yet though). I think it is pretty rude of somebody to ask you if your watch is "real", especially if they don't know you that well, and in that situation I'd be inclined to say yes!

People have commented on my PAM111 in particular but the subject of where I got it from didn't come up so I was happy to leave it like that :lol:.

narikaa

You would need:

An obviously ostentatiously expensive, brand new looking watch

&

A real born again twat of a Customs Officer

Even so his concern will be purely over possible duty evasion (not the Brand name owners interests)

Slim

If it's a good one (and I think yours will be) then people will probably just assume that it's real. I've had a GMT Master since 1986 which has been one of my most frequently-worn watches, especially the first few years I had it, and the question has only ever arisen once. Someone I met at work in 1990 asked me where I got it. He had a fake Sub on which he'd got from the Far East, and assumed mine was fake as well. He was surprised when I said "a jewellers in Newcastle".

As I remember it was quite a nice replica. He told me it had a Seiko movement but I expect he'd been misled about that.

If you do say it was a gift you run the risk that if whoever asks you knows their watches and has spotted that it's a rep, he or she will think you're a schmuck. But as I said, I think it's unlikely.

d1isthe1

I also have a watch ordered to BK which soon will be in transit. It's my first rep from BK and second in my collection and I've never ordered on the Internet before. The same point bothers me too. How wud the customs take it? Are there any chances of it getting confiscated? I am located in India.

Edited by d1isthe1

d1isthe1

Cheers.

Depends what you're comfortable with. All my colleagues in work and my close friends and family know I buy reps and it doesn't bother me. Other people I've met in business situations probably assume they're gens - I certainly don't go out of my way to tell them otherwise but if they asked I would probably tell them (hasn't happened yet though). I think it is pretty rude of somebody to ask you if your watch is "real", especially if they don't know you that well, and in that situation I'd be inclined to say yes!

People have commented on my PAM111 in particular but the subject of where I got it from didn't come up so I was happy to leave it like that :).

If you are wearing the watch, may it be a gen or even a rep no one will ever ask you about it in the customs unless it's in your cabin baggage. I recently travelled to Thailand and on my wrist was the dssd while on my way back no one asked me a thing about it. So be cool and if at time anyone asks you just tell them it's a gift. In daily life it depends on how you wear the watch and what kind of circles you ride. People will only suspect if u don't belong to that bracket, what I mean to say is that if you have a couple of gens and your freinds and collegues know that you are fond of watches then you can carry a rep. You can only carry a rep if people know that you can buy a gen.

trailboss99

The only places I would not take a rep thru Customs are Switzerland and Italy. The Swiss will take it from your wrist at Customs every time and in Italy it is illegal to own/wear a rep and people have been charged just wearing one in the street but it's not normal to have it happen.

Col.

chum_2000_uk
The only places I would not take a rep thru Customs are Switzerland and Italy. The Swiss will take it from your wrist at Customs every time and in Italy it is illegal to own/wear a rep and people have been charged just wearing one in the street but it's not normal to have it happen.

Col.

Good info there guys. I did not know this, particularly regarding Italy.

wombosi
Good info there guys. I did not know this, particularly regarding Italy.

Me neither. Thanks for the info guys! This could be useful someday.

samurai dave

thanks for the input. So how many of you wear your rep day to day and travel with it on? How good are the reps these days?

ebzen02

fucking I-talians..Fucking Swiss..

thanks for the input. So how many of you wear your rep day to day and travel with it on? How good are the reps these days?

Really good.

KBH

My wife was in Venice last year and said that there were rep sellers pushing fakes right in front of the Gucci store and several other high end luxury stores.

sconehead

I've worn my ETA powered SMP 90% of the time for 3 years, solid...it's a bit beat up now, I do a physical job, even so it's still running strong and nothing's fallen off it yet...B)

chum_2000_uk

I've worn my ETA powered SMP 90% of the time for 3 years, solid...it's a bit beat up now, I do a physical job, even so it's still running strong and nothing's fallen off it yet...B)

Plenty of gens haven't lasted that long in those conditions I wouldn't mind betting! I was looking at some feedback reviews of gen smp's the other day as I was considering getting (another) one. Plenty of people saying that their SMP has gone faulty. I know people tend to only write these reviews if they have a problem, to warn others and convey their dissatisfaction after spending all that money - but still, it does go to show that even gens aren't bulletproof.

greg_r
My wife was in Venice last year and said that there were rep sellers pushing fakes right in front of the Gucci store and several other high end luxury stores.

I've travelled in Italy wearing a rep. So long as it doesn't look like a rep - and you look like you can afford to wear the gen - it's not an issue. Switzerland, however, as Col says is another problem entirely. Stick to gens.

wombosi

Here's something to think about: If one ends up in Italy or Switzerland unplanned (yes... that's possible) while carrying a rep. Would you guys recommend to just keep wearing it? Or to 'hide' it in the luggage?

Edited by wombosi

greg_r

Wear it - more likely to be spotted in your luggage imho.

Del

+1

Hide it in plain sight, on your wrist :lol: imho.

narikaa
Here's something to think about: If one ends up in Italy or Switzerland unplanned (yes... that's possible) while carrying a rep. Would you guys recommend to just keep wearing it? Or to 'hide' it in the luggage?

Do a Captain Koons if it worries you that much