Sign in to follow this  
MrWhite

A moral dilemma

ianl1969

No guilt here!!! I am admiring my rep while listening to some pirated music putting all my extra cash in my knockoff wallet :giggle:

No guilt here!!! I am admiring my rep while listening to some pirated music putting all my extra cash in my knockoff wallet :giggle:

Oh and playing my Chibson Les Paul

Ishmael

now...where did I put that Cartier Diver....ahhh..fuck it...I'll wear the AP LeBron instead :B):

:lmao2: Brilliant.

Stewart

If reps are good enough for Jay Leno they're good enough for me.

OK so not rep watches but at 2:45 in he really praises companies that make replicas, as long as they're A++ 1:1 best quality!

kiikasi

C'mon, calling rep buying a moral dilemma is a little aggressive don't you think? Is it a moral dilemma for Rolex to charge an 800% mark-up over material and labor input on their products? And before you say, "well its their product, they have the right to charge what they want", how do you respond to the pharmaceutical exec that just raised the price of his company's HIV/AIDS medicine by 30x for no reason? I get there are nuances to the arguments, but aren't we just talking about shades of gray in all regards?

The reality is that people do what they can get away on both sides -- Companies price what they can get people to pay and the dead weight lost due to counterfeiting is an expected consequence of that pricing decision.

And a big thing people don't get is the reason why companies still are openly against counterfeits even when it's just one of the things that happens in their industry:

If they don't take a stand, no one will take them seriously. It's the same for every industry. Even if your business model requires piracy like "FL Studio", if you don't "take a stand" against it, your product might as well be free.

It's a simple concept when you think about it it, but people are often very up-in-arms about it.

Daywatch

Roughly said gens are made of 34% materials, labour and production cost, 33% cost of marketing and sales and some 23% to 33% profit margin depending on the administrative overhead. Add a nice average 23% VAT in European countries to the 100%.

Gens are still profiting from the reputation earned 100 and 50 Years ago, when they were build to last a century and more. Nowadays they hire technicians who will study ways for one part to break after 5 or 7 Years, if not earlier. It´s all about more sales and more profits and more growth.

Just give it back and get the first super-rep, You will be amazed.

Robin195959
Pretend all your reps are gens, give them pet names like, Rachael Rolex, Tracey Tag, etc.... Works for me ;)

Are they Ladyboys Stu or Gen Females? :-)

There's no moral dillema...they're just steel and glass objects....the only value they have is what other people confer upon them...I've had lots of gens over my years...APs..Breguet...Van der Klauuw..Patek...along with a smattering of lesser marques...most of them were safe queens...most of them are also gone now.

I'm very satisfied with the quality of reps nowadays...as long as you choose wisely and ensure that you have access to a good watchsmith.

Avoid all the nonsense that's espoused on here by 'experts'...they're the only ones that choke their chicken over the minutiae and the prospect of spending stupid amounts of money on trying to make their fake watch more genuine...but the old maxim applies..'stupid is..as stupid does.....Joe Schmoe couldn't give a flying fuck and is less able to spot a fake than a ladyboy on Soi 6 on a jolly boy's outing.

Go for the refund and buy something that has greater value....watches are like ties...every day brings a new 'favourite'.

The days of having just one watch to wear are gone...there's a plethora of highly acceptable wrist jewellery...courtesy of Uncle Wong...may the Buddha bless him....now...where did I put that Cartier Diver....ahhh..fuck it...I'll wear the AP LeBron instead :B):

+1million

elp

...Van der Klauuw..

would you happen to have some pics for us to drool over?

Baldrick

If Villagephotos was still up and running.....I would.....I had thousands of pics of all my watches on there before the bar-stewards went tits up....:angry:

Rolexbeast

I wish i felt like that,i buy reps then buy gens and more reps and more gens.

Baldrick

Sorry Onze.....I didn't have a Planetarium....mine was simpler fare....a Real Moon !

Disappointed....I thought you were posting links to my pics... :(

elp

...Van der Klauuw..

would you happen to have some pics for us to drool over?

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=26867

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=69757

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...p?showtopic=400

Cheers Onze, unfortunately many of those pics are not showing - must have been deleted

I was interested in Baldrick's (rather, Mr.Nice) piece as he takes some very nice pics :)

MrWhite

Some great responses thanks, Mr nice's especially. Even after reading and researching threads its still a surprise just how good the reps are, I'm not necessarily talking about tells so much as the general finish and quality of the builds. It really has surprised me in such a way that buying even a modestly priced rep seems a waste

Robin195959

Surely you mean a modestly priced Gen?

markeym3

Its ok to buy a nice gen .. and a nice rep too ... there are some great gens for reasonable money ...

and some are not available as a rep ...

you just buy what you like and to suit your budget. .