Sign in to follow this  
Derek Mc

The story of a Frankenfish!

Derek Mc

Good people,

I have to share this one as it represents one of my ultimate grail pieces and the backstory and twist at the end is quite wonderful.

I was lucky enough to return to the site by chance a couple of weeks ago possibly three,,, and saw a great member called Luv2flyjrn selling a few pieces one of these was a stunning (to my eyes) blue dial Franken Breitling Superocean Steelfish

And here is the original build thread by the rt. hon. Boneyjr a man whom I dearly want to connect with and have a chat!

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=101477

Forgive the quality of the pics I don't have a professional set up this was on a white bedsheet in morning daylight using a Nikon D3200 with inbuilt flash only.

Anyway, on with the story.

An amicable deal was struck between the sellor and I and the atch left the Eastern side of the US about two weeks and three days ago. I came in from work on Tuesday to one of my favourite sights (next to a naked Charlize Theron that is,,, ;)) a US posted box!!

I won't run over the build as the post does a grand job of describing it, however one thing struck me as very very odd, more on this a little bit later

I set about taking the strap off and using my very soft nylon brush with a mild detergent to give the case and bezel a spruce up and on reflecting thought this case was sharp! I mean machining quality on this was out the park!!

Every detail was about as precise as I could have dreamt about with the DW exception but that I will also return to,,,, and after my clean here she is:-

_DSC1029_zpsjyl5cd0l.jpg

The DW needs a new overlay as it has a beautiful swiss ETA 2824-2 in the case that seems after three days to be as perfect as the rest of the watch.

_DSC1035_zpsm8yp2bei.jpg

_DSC1036_zpslzp25obl.jpg

_DSC1039_zpsj5ok9fij.jpg

Now as I had the strap off I was playing about and noticed that not only was the thickness of the padding far greater than my rep one, the softness of the leather and more important the printing quality was really quite incredible, now also the eagle eyed might notice the font on the deplyant too is not normal replica standard,,,,,,,,,all so incredible that the hairs on the back of the neck were tingling,,,,,,

_DSC1031_zps8fwnbxv2.jpg

_DSC1032_zpsdgimxyko.jpg

_DSC1033_zpsv9iajpb4.jpg

So, I decided to play a bit of a game at Watches of Switzerland and take in the strap to play out a hunch under the guise of needing spare case spring bars,,,,,,,,,,,,

I didn't flinch, just asked if they had spring bars for my strap they looked at it, I struck up a chat and said, does this look real? I was given it at a great price??? Response was to look at it under a very professional looking ventialted Loupe, "Yes looks all fine to me sir,,, your very lucky to get the set!! What piece will it be fitted to, I just said "an old Steelfish I had since before the recession but the strap is quite new? the answer it looked maybe three years old and in great condition,,,,,

I did look at the new Steelfish Chrono and lads trust me NAH!!!! it's not half the wrist presence of a Skyland Avenger or Avenger II,,,,, gutted to be honest,,,

I was lead to believe that there are not rep, they were quite accepted as both being gen,,,,,,, I don't know if that is true, but then why wouldn't it be true? but as I read Boneyjr's build post over and over and a mistake like that?,?,?,

If true, this becomes truly an incredible little "fish" in a big big pond as the gen dial & hands have insane lume, the 2824 runs,,,, well,,,, like a swiss watch if you were to ask,,,, the bezel is solid and has a tight click base with solid feel an the case / crystal looks dimensionally and AR quality spot on!

I am totally and completely in love with this one it feels amazing on, and just gets my juices flowing as it wears well in a business shirt way, it fits shirts the Skyland and certainly the Super,,, don't as it is that bit slimmer!

Oh,,, and I was given the spring bars free, to boot!!

fatarms

Awesome pick up. I'm in search of a gen blue dial myself, I may have to ask where he sourced it :D

Moondustesp

Good read. Love my steelfish

ByranM

Love the build and photos, your photos aren't too shabby at all and I think you did a pretty good job with them.