Sign in to follow this  
Nightwatch

EGI Modifications: Putting a 6497 and Angelus 240 "WITH" sub dial in a DSN EGI Case

Nightwatch

Been working on the DSN EGI... at the moment I am building a DSN EGI 6497 with sub dial and a DSN EGI with Angelus 240 cal again with sub dial.... heres what's been completed so far...

6497 and Angelus 240 Sub Dial Mod:

Previously it wasn't possible to put a 6497 with sub dial into a DSN EGI case (or a Angelus 240 with sub dial), the reason was because the watch-case body was too narrow, thus making the dial too small...which meant....the sub dial was too close to the 9 o'clock... in short, the sub dial would cut through the 9 o'clock (which would look a mess). Below the case at the top of the image has been machined out to the max (yet the work is undetectable) and now a "Standard" sub dial can be fitted...

egilugs-002.jpg

Below: The red arrow shows a standard sub dial hole, like I say this is a standard dial its not specially made, for example any dial that's been in a 47m watch will now fit this case.

egilugs-003.jpg

Below: Shows a new "Solid" Plexi. This had to be specially made to fit the case (which has been modified)

egilugs-004.jpg

Below: Solid Lug Bars (authentic image).

egilugs-001.jpg

Below: My new lug bars.... Problem No1...at first this looked simple...ie simply drill out the lugs, thread one end and make a lug bar...Not true.... the outer hole thats on the DSN case is a Dummy hole, the lug bars are held by a shallow hole between the lugs (inside). The problem here is that both holes are totally out of alignment.... what this means is that if you simply drill a hole through the DSN lugs it wont meet up with the hole on the inside and you will have 2 holes on one of the sides.... the drilling has to be totally precision and even then a touch of solder is required to fill the internal hole (which is totally undetectable once done, also its hidden by the strap).

Problem No2... is that a thicker lug bar means the strap is closer to the case, which means the case now digs into the strap, for example DSN lugs bars are really thin, these new lug bars are much thicker... with careful drilling the holes were moved forward to prevent this. The strap will touch the case but its no longer tight and works fine...

egilugs-005.jpg

egilugs-006.jpg

egilugs-007.jpg

To Be Continued..........

Member X

Awesome work, I wish I had your skills!

Either that or a large amount of spare cash to throw you way... :D

dingle
Awesome work, I wish I had your skills!

Either that or a large amount of spare cash to throw you way... :D

+1

;)