Sign in to follow this  
ghardy

Help with first Gen Rol

ghardy

Want to purchase first Gen Rol. Found the watch I want: A vintage (say 70-80s) oyster perpetual SS, plexi, face 34mm, oyster bracelet, from what I believe to be a good dealer in Chicago. No papers. One year warrantee, life time polishing with watch. I did notice today a stain or mark on the face (I did not see it last time look at watch). They state they can clean face or will replace the face.

OK -- now what to pay: They started at $1900. I am thinking $1600 cash.

Anyone know the price point?

Thanks,

ghardy

Want to purchase first Gen Rol. Found the watch I want: A vintage (say 70-80s) oyster perpetual SS, plexi, face 34mm, oyster bracelet, from what I believe to be a good dealer in Chicago. No papers. One year warrantee, life time polishing with watch. I did notice today a stain or mark on the face (I did not see it last time look at watch). They state they can clean face or will replace the face.

OK -- now what to pay: They started at $1900. I am thinking $1600 cash.

greg_r

hmm - not sure on U.S. prices, but it seems a little high by comparison with some I've seen over here in the UK - especially without papers. Hopefully one of the US Rolex guys will be along later with some better guidance than I can give...

rc42

Don't really know that model and I'm not sure this is really the best forum to ask.

Try searching through the sales section on www.rolexforums.com, you can see if they come up for sale very often and whet price they go for based on year and condition.

You could even ask the same question in the forums there, some of them know a lot about Rolex but others are just asses that say 'nice watch', I wouldn't mention reps or rep forums either or the responses won't be so helpful (or possible unless your spine is made from rubber) :beer2:

greg_r

Please don't cross-post the same question in two different threads. If you post it in the wrong place, a mod will always be happy to move it for you. Topics merged.

Akira
:beer2:

KBH

It seems a little high to me also. I'd go for a more modern 36mm DateJust which can quite often be found at or around that price. Also be aware that those older model Date Rolexes don't have quickset dates and they are a real pain in the ass to get the date set correctly unless you wear them all the time.

ghardy

Thanks everyone. I will follow your advice.

It seems a little high to me also. I'd go for a more modern 36mm DateJust which can quite often be found at or around that price. Also be aware that those older model Date Rolexes don't have quickset dates and they are a real pain in the ass to get the date set correctly unless you wear them all the time.