Sign in to follow this  
LightGeek

...man takes off $26,000 Rolex waterproof diving watch to go swimming — and has it stolen

deju

Day-to-day real life for gen owners. You keep doing this and occasionally also dropping one until You wake up and turn to reps.

The "inheritance-piece" You give down from generation to generation is just another marketing-myth transported from times long gone by

in which large families lived altogether in one big house and dedicated watchsmiths sat there for weeks carefully repairing unique pieces

for a few dollars.

Whoever stole it has a nice inheritance-piece to hand down (I'm kidding of course). Can't really do anything but keep it now, if he/she tries to sell it I'm sure the serial numbers will give them up.

#firstworldproblems

I'm sure the thief was just a fucktard, but if he wasn't, he would use a fence!

If a fence is just selling goods within a big crowd of criminals that only keep illegal records, that serial number will either go ignored or will very likely be filed off at the first chance they get. And then a big ol' drug kingpin will be wearing it, "iced out" with synthetic diamonds, for a hugely reduced price.

But seriously, that thief was probably a fucktard after all and will be caught when he tries to sell it to a pawn shop.

Serial numbers won't be a deterrent only way it will get nabbed will be many owners down the line when it gets sent to an RSC unwittingly.

Unfortunately there are plenty of other places to get it serviced and sell it that won't care of the serial number/history.

Mariner89

Day-to-day real life for gen owners. You keep doing this and occasionally also dropping one until You wake up and turn to reps.

The "inheritance-piece" You give down from generation to generation is just another marketing-myth transported from times long gone by

in which large families lived altogether in one big house and dedicated watchsmiths sat there for weeks carefully repairing unique pieces

for a few dollars.

Whoever stole it has a nice inheritance-piece to hand down (I'm kidding of course). Can't really do anything but keep it now, if he/she tries to sell it I'm sure the serial numbers will give them up.

#firstworldproblems

I'm sure the thief was just a fucktard, but if he wasn't, he would use a fence!

If a fence is just selling goods within a big crowd of criminals that only keep illegal records, that serial number will either go ignored or will very likely be filed off at the first chance they get. And then a big ol' drug kingpin will be wearing it, "iced out" with synthetic diamonds, for a hugely reduced price.

But seriously, that thief was probably a fucktard after all and will be caught when he tries to sell it to a pawn shop.

Serial numbers won't be a deterrent only way it will get nabbed will be many owners down the line when it gets sent to an RSC unwittingly.

Unfortunately there are plenty of other places to get it serviced and sell it that won't care of the serial number/history.

I've always thought that selling hot watches would be the most worthless and taxing endeavour ... I mean who just buys a luxury watch knowing that at anytime someone could report it stolen if you tried to have it worked on. Seems like those folks should just stay old-fashioned and stick to boostin cars

megaul

I never take my 22 year old promaster off when swimming

But mine's a real divers watch

Rolex is a marketing product, most of the gens spend their lives in a safe

Just like most Ferraris sold in the last years which hardly get any mileage

So that's why I buy reps, a stolen one is just bad luck and won't break the bank

Chiquita Fanjita

1.gif

My mouse doesn't seem to scroll past this picture for some reason ;)

mike70sk

Mostly all of you respond to this post letting everyone know how you would deal with this situation.

Now what about the asswipe that thinks its okay to go into a locker that doesn't belong to him and steal stuff that also doesn't belong to him. I'll never understand this kind of thinking, where does it come from? Oh look, someone left their keys in the car, so now I can take it . Hey, that ladys purse is open and I can just reache right in there and grab that wallet.

But it seems to be built into some peoples brains that it's acceptable. This is why they make those "bait car" shows on tv.

Thoughts?

your right the asshole shouldn't have ripped him off! when it happens to you, you know what it feels like

Edited by mike70sk

Kleen™
Mostly all of you respond to this post letting everyone know how you would deal with this situation.

Now what about the asswipe that thinks its okay to go into a locker that doesn't belong to him and steal stuff that also doesn't belong to him. I'll never understand this kind of thinking, where does it come from? Oh look, someone left their keys in the car, so now I can take it . Hey, that ladys purse is open and I can just reache right in there and grab that wallet.

But it seems to be built into some peoples brains that it's acceptable. This is why they make those "bait car" shows on tv.

Thoughts?

I think you have a point: Rather than focussing on what preventive acts 'the victim' should have take avoid this happening, I'd much rather put focus on exactly which amount of teeth the mothafrackin' perpetrator should be left with...;)