Sign in to follow this  
LightGeek

...man takes off $26,000 Rolex waterproof diving watch to go swimming — and has it stolen

LightGeek

TORONTO — Toronto police are investigating the theft of a $26,000 Rolex watch that a man took off to go swimming at a hotel pool — despite the fact the watch is waterproof for up to 610 metres.

Police said Tuesday the watch was stolen on July 17 when the 46-year-old man went for a swim at the Eaton Chelsea Hotel near Gerrard and Yonge streets. The man took off his waterproof watch and left it in the hotel’s 27th floor change-room locker. Police said an unknown person opened the locker between 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. and took the Rolex.

Police valued the Rolex Sea-Dweller 1665 at about $26,000. The watch is part of Rolex’s Sea-Dweller series — a line of “ultra-resistant” watches engineered for divers.

SOURCE: http://news.national...d-has-it-stolen

Robin195959

Insurance scam!

dalboy

Rep !!

Gens at home in his safe.

Dal

Gazzla

Fishy . . .

UdcN6jT.gif

Nikosaldente
1.gif

Daywatch

Day-to-day real life for gen owners. You keep doing this and occasionally also dropping one until You wake up and turn to reps.

The "inheritance-piece" You give down from generation to generation is just another marketing-myth transported from times long gone by

in which large families lived altogether in one big house and dedicated watchsmiths sat there for weeks carefully repairing unique pieces

for a few dollars.

Viquito

Do you have a new watch Jay? :) haha jk :)

RUSH2112

Rep

jdog

MANY gen owners do not swim with a vintage piece. Just because a watch is tested for WP, doesn't mean it won't fail or crack the crystal and ruin a watch. Many of the 1665, and assuming this was a red, do not see the water because the dial underneath is near impossible to replace. I wouldn't take a risk on a 40 year plus watch with a dial worth about $10k plus and good luck finding a replacement

That being said, I also wouldn't be a complete fucktard and leave it in a hotel locker.

Edited by jdog

deju
MANY gen owners do not swim with a vintage piece. Just because a watch is tested for WP, doesn't mean it won't fail or crack the crystal and ruin a watch. Many of the 1665, and assuming this was a red, do not see the water because the dial underneath is near impossible to replace. I wouldn't take a risk on a 40 year plus watch with a dial worth about $10k plus and good luck finding a replacement

That being said, I also wouldn't be a complete fucktard and leave it in a hotel locker.

You'd just be that dude in the pool with your hand in the air! Haha

Totally agree just because it's gen doesn't mean it's 100% not going to fail. Sometimes it's not worth the risk, and even if insured worth the hassle.

jdog

Totally agree just because it's gen doesn't mean it's 100% not going to fail. Sometimes it's not worth the risk, and even if insured worth the hassle.

Ha! You know me bud, I'd have a ziplock baggie taped around my hand and wrist.

RUSH2112

Ha! You know me bud, I'd have a ziplock baggie taped around my hand and wrist.

I throw my hands up in the air sometimes, saying ayo.

seclark007

sooooo, perhaps I would have left the watch in the room safe, prior to heading down tho the pool

Xpletiv

Didn't this happen a few months or a year back? With the exact same circumstances.

Who cares, just another moron being noticed.

WatchSan

Mostly all of you respond to this post letting everyone know how you would deal with this situation.

Now what about the asswipe that thinks its okay to go into a locker that doesn't belong to him and steal stuff that also doesn't belong to him. I'll never understand this kind of thinking, where does it come from? Oh look, someone left their keys in the car, so now I can take it . Hey, that ladys purse is open and I can just reache right in there and grab that wallet.

But it seems to be built into some peoples brains that it's acceptable. This is why they make those "bait car" shows on tv.

Thoughts?

Robin195959
Mostly all of you respond to this post letting everyone know how you would deal with this situation.

Now what about the asswipe that thinks its okay to go into a locker that doesn't belong to him and steal stuff that also doesn't belong to him. I'll never understand this kind of thinking, where does it come from? Oh look, someone left their keys in the car, so now I can take it . Hey, that ladys purse is open and I can just reache right in there and grab that wallet.

But it seems to be built into some peoples brains that it's acceptable. This is why they make those "bait car" shows on tv.

Thoughts?

I think you got it wrong. From what I read it seems most people simply don't believe it.

insert-here

I wouldn't go swimming with my rep or my gen unless I knew I could afford to replace it. Either way, what dufus leaves that in a locker? Your are either too rich and don't care or you are just plain dumb or dumber.

insert-here

Robin is right also, we are focusing on the goof who left it in a locker, and not the scum who is a thief. I'd be pissed if they stole my rep!

Daffy

Anyone who leaves anything worth $25,000+ in a gym / pool locker room is either a blithering idiot, or is looking for an insurance payout. I wouldn't even leave a rep in a locker, because someone will think it a gen when seeing me wear it around, and it will then be gone.

TheTinMan

Day-to-day real life for gen owners. You keep doing this and occasionally also dropping one until You wake up and turn to reps.

The "inheritance-piece" You give down from generation to generation is just another marketing-myth transported from times long gone by

in which large families lived altogether in one big house and dedicated watchsmiths sat there for weeks carefully repairing unique pieces

for a few dollars.

Whoever stole it has a nice inheritance-piece to hand down (I'm kidding of course). Can't really do anything but keep it now, if he/she tries to sell it I'm sure the serial numbers will give them up.

#firstworldproblems

Edited by TheTinMan

rolesor

Hmmmmm.

inspectorbjs

Ha! You know me bud' date=' I'd have a ziplock baggie taped around my hand and wrist.

[/quote']

duck-taped.jpg

UmpaHimself

1.gif

What were we talking about again :suck:

kiikasi

for a few dollars.

Whoever stole it has a nice inheritance-piece to hand down (I'm kidding of course). Can't really do anything but keep it now, if he/she tries to sell it I'm sure the serial numbers will give them up.

#firstworldproblems

I'm sure the thief was just a fucktard, but if he wasn't, he would use a fence!

If a fence is just selling goods within a big crowd of criminals that only keep illegal records, that serial number will either go ignored or will very likely be filed off at the first chance they get. And then a big ol' drug kingpin will be wearing it, "iced out" with synthetic diamonds, for a hugely reduced price.

But seriously, that thief was probably a fucktard after all and will be caught when he tries to sell it to a pawn shop.