elmerlo

Seiko SUN025P1 review and pics

WatchDog21
Yes, I believe this is the way the gen Explorer II operates as well. IMHO, the way all GMT's should operate. When I'm traveling, I like to keep local time on the hour hand and home time on the GMT hand. Makes it so much easier when you don't have to hack the movement - you just quickset the hour hand to local and you're done. On my Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT with swiss ETA 2893-2, the GMT hand is tied to quickset. So, I have to hack the movement, adjust to local time and then re-sync to another time source. Total pain in the ass. I can't wait for this watch!!
And, BTW, if you want an even more serious Dual Time watch, you should consider the Citizen AT9030-55L (or one of its variants). THAT is really a pleasure to work with when adjusting your Time Zones. Some pluses of the watch: -very, very elegant dark blue dial, nearly black on most occasions; -dual time sub-dial: allows non-standard timezones (Delhi...WTF...) to have the half an hour time difference set independently; -time zones on the dial: you pull the crown one stop, push the 4 o'clock button, select your timezone, push back the crown and you're done; -quick inversion of timezones: push simultaneously the 2 and 4 buttons and the timezones swap (main dial inverts with subidal); -radio controlled accuracy. 1 second difference in 10 million years; -Eco Drive: leave it a little light and it goes forever; -day-date & PR indicator. Here's a picture for you to drool: at9030-55l_img.png

Nice Citizen, looks very similar to the Astron.

conx

Love the watch - I will be picking one of these up for sure.

As far as winding goes, you simply need an induction tooth brush charger from Braun or Philips - yes it works! I charged a kinetic from 20 secs on the indicator to 30 secs using one. Do a search in Google and you'll find some discussions on WUS.

Interesting: I will certainly buy one.

Which model of charger do you use?

I've actually found the best results were with the charging base for the Philips Imageo LED tea lights. The watch sits in the recess and charges likes a dream, just press the on button once a day. Put the watch in standing with 6pm at the bottom to get the kinetic coil in the correct place to charge. OK.

So the Kinetic coil is at 6pm? From the caseback I can see also one at 9. Does that charge as well?

I ordered the Oral-B vitality (I didn't have an electric toothbrush, so at worse I will try that! :D ) and plan to make the foam base. Should arrive by monday, will keep you posted guys.

BTW: I'm really enjoying the watch. I'm a fond lover of Diver's watches and recently it was hard to take off the Baby Tunas (yes, both plain steel and black), but when you want something a little more elegant than a lovely, rough chunk of metal, this one is my preferred choice. TAG Heuer Link Cal.16 does the job as well, but this is so much more readable, and, of course, if you need GMT, wins hands down. ;)

Not sure where you would need to position the watch on a Braun charger, but both coils are somehow linked, you don't need to charge both. It's done by magic :)

Let us know how you get on with the oral-b.

MoveAlong
Yes, I believe this is the way the gen Explorer II operates as well. IMHO, the way all GMT's should operate. When I'm traveling, I like to keep local time on the hour hand and home time on the GMT hand. Makes it so much easier when you don't have to hack the movement - you just quickset the hour hand to local and you're done. On my Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT with swiss ETA 2893-2, the GMT hand is tied to quickset. So, I have to hack the movement, adjust to local time and then re-sync to another time source. Total pain in the ass. I can't wait for this watch!!
And, BTW, if you want an even more serious Dual Time watch, you should consider the Citizen AT9030-55L (or one of its variants). THAT is really a pleasure to work with when adjusting your Time Zones. Some pluses of the watch: -very, very elegant dark blue dial, nearly black on most occasions; -dual time sub-dial: allows non-standard timezones (Delhi...WTF...) to have the half an hour time difference set independently; -time zones on the dial: you pull the crown one stop, push the 4 o'clock button, select your timezone, push back the crown and you're done; -quick inversion of timezones: push simultaneously the 2 and 4 buttons and the timezones swap (main dial inverts with subidal); -radio controlled accuracy. 1 second difference in 10 million years; -Eco Drive: leave it a little light and it goes forever; -day-date & PR indicator. Here's a picture for you to drool: at9030-55l_img.png

Totally agree with that!

elmerlo

Yeah, the Astron is fantastic, but the price is out of my operative range, way too high. The AT9030s (4 versions) come around 320 Euros in Europe, without resorting to Singapore dealers. That's a steal for this watch, IMHO :)

MoveAlong

Just in! I'll post some real pics after a while. Looks the usual stunning Seiko build quality. The power reserve went 10 seconds out of the box, so about a week's worth if I remember correctly? Can't wait to dive in to this!

21872293649_5856bc6889_c.jpg

21872293609_444eef7c5d_c.jpg

21438064473_b58c2dae52_c.jpg

elmerlo

Just in! I'll post some real pics after a while. Looks the usual stunning Seiko build quality. The power reserve went 10 seconds out of the box, so about a week's worth if I remember correctly? Can't wait to dive in to this!

Yay! and it was all my fault!!! :D

Congratulations mate, I'm enjoying mine all the time.

BTW: first tests of inductive charge with Oral-B proved inconclusive :(

yippykayay2121

real nice

not_finbar

That is a handsome watch sir. The contrast between the brushed and polished steel looks really well done too.

conx

It takes time.... leave it on charge for a couple of days. However, finding the right orientation seems to be the key.

Kleen™

It takes time.... leave it on charge for a couple of days. However, finding the right orientation seems to be the key.

10 o'clock...

profsteve

I thought that kinetic for Seiko meant that it charged with movement like an ETA auto-wide but it charges capacitors rather then a mainspring. Since UV has been mentioned are you saying that the movement is charge by sunlight or the lume?

elmerlo

I thought that kinetic for Seiko meant that it charged with movement like an ETA auto-wide but it charges capacitors rather then a mainspring. Since UV has been mentioned are you saying that the movement is charge by sunlight or the lume?

Yes, charges by movement only, no light involved.

profsteve

I just ordered one so hopefully in a week or so I shall see. Looks like I might like it better than the Explorer.

Kleen™
I just ordered one so hopefully in a week or so I shall see. Looks like I might like it better than the Explorer.

It's sharper looking than the Explorer...and it's a gen...what's not to like...?!

profsteve

That is what I have seen in most of my Seikos- what's not to like- my sbdx001 should be here Tuesday.

Kleen™
:thumbsup:

MetalMickey

I love it. Think I'm going shopping!

kennycoder

That citizen is also an amazing piece. Now I'm divided between these two :|

Gazzla

Totally agree with that!

Whoooo there troops.

Comparing a Citizen to an Astron? I think not. :D

ab4pPzc.jpg

WatchDog21

Totally agree with that!

Whoooo there troops.

ab4pPzc.jpg

Sorry Gaz, looks only at first glance... :D

MoveAlong

So, how's the toothbrush charging coming along? I've been wearing mine for a few days now (actively) and have yet to get past 10 seconds on the power reserve meter.

Sakurai

Lovely, would take the Seiko over the Rolex every day of the week - and twice on Sunday.

elmerlo

Compare the price difference :P :D

With the cost of the Astron I guess you buy all the four variants of the Citizen and you still have money for an expensive dinner, right? ;)

elmerlo

So, how's the toothbrush charging coming along? I've been wearing mine for a few days now (actively) and have yet to get past 10 seconds on the power reserve meter.

Nothing so far. Tried a few hours at 10 o'clock some days ago, nothing happened. Will try to leave it overnight, trying again at 9, right under the coil.

elmerlo

First Kinetic report: watch arrived on the 5th with only "5 sec" charge indication (= 1/7 days), nearly dead.

I have been wearing it ever since, normal office/desk work, although I was sick in bed a couple of days, so very little movement there :P

Today for the first time the charge indicator went to "10 sec" (7/30 days). Yay! :)