Akira

Rolex GTM Master

Akira

Since it seems impossible to get a good 14060 I started

to fancy a vintage GTM Master.

This one came to my mind :lmao:

Picture of the gen:

83245186.jpg

Its the Ref 1675 Matt Dial/White Writing all black Bezel insert.

Cal.1565 movement with 18000 Bph

I found the rep on trustys website

http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?ma...products_id=307

94ed13114710a0944d71a97af43f16c8.image.640x480.JPG

Looks pretty accurate, but high beat movement and really yellowish dots and hands.

Anyone seen this version around or owns one?

I would like to make it look vintage....

Maybe you guys have some inspirations.

Cheers

Akira

KBH

Totally different bezel and the infamous "Date" on the dial. Blah.... There are no good 1675 model reps off the shelf.

Akira

:Whistle: I didn't even noticed the bezel difference until yet.

What do you mean by "infamous" date ? Please point it out to me :lmao:

Do you think there is a better Version than trustys around?

Is it possible to get that bezel somewhere?

This can't be right....Am I always like the watches not being reped?

Fuck!

AllergyDoc

The dial should say "Oyster Perpetual", like on your gen pic. The reps all say "Oyster Perpetual Date".

To be accurate, if the dial says "Oyster Perpetual Date" the hour markers should have white gold (or SS on a rep) surrounds instead of being painted.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/mess...riants..%2Bpics

Akira
The dial should say "Oyster Perpetual", like on your gen pic. The reps all say "Oyster Perpetual Date".

To be accurate, if the dial says "Oyster Perpetual Date" the hour markers should have white gold (or SS on a rep) surrounds instead of being painted.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/mess...riants..%2Bpics

Which is a newer version right?

AllergyDoc

This is the newest of the "vintage" GMT (NOT GMT-II):

5370811714_c355f02557_z.jpg

Notice that it's a "GMT Master", not "GMT Master II" and the word "Date" after Oyster Perpetual. Also, the hour markers have white gold surrounds instead of yellow paint.

A rep like this does not exist. The fault of all rep GMTs is they have the word "Date" after Oyster Perpetual. Why the Chinese haven't corrected this glaring fault is beyond comprehension considering the efforts they've gone to to make a decent vintage GMT.

Here is the one Rolexaddict made:

4686623295_e4380c1c52_b.jpg

Pretty damn good. Nothing he could do about "Oyster Perpetual Date" as they are the only dials available.

Edited by AllergyDoc

Akira

Sometimes it really bums me out...these small flaws are really unnecessary :)

How about over-airbrushing the "Oyster Perpetual Date" and using decals to make it "Oyster Perpetual" ?

Possible mod?

AllergyDoc

RA has worked with Josh in an attempt to get him to produce a correct dial but it's been met with resistance.

Mod with decal? I don't know. Beyond my interest. JoeyB made correct date fonts and printed them on decals. Maybe it's possible.

Akira

Any ideas about the wrong bezel?

AllergyDoc

RA had to widen the rep bezels by hand so the correct-sized inserts would fit. You've seen his threads, right? He goes over everything in detail, with pics. Amazing stuff. I'm just repeating what I learned from him. Might as well get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Slim

Very interesting thread, this.

I bought a (gen) GMT Master in July 1986. I'm pretty sure it's a 16750. It has "OYSTER PERPETUAL" (no "DATE") on the dial, but it's a gloss dial with the white gold surrounds. So I'm a little confused after reading the information at the Vintage Rolex Forum.

Akira
RA had to widen the rep bezels by hand so the correct-sized inserts would fit. You've seen his threads, right? He goes over everything in detail, with pics. Amazing stuff. I'm just repeating what I learned from him. Might as well get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

I've read his threads.

I was just thinking there is a version out there which is good

and RA wanted it to be perfect 1:1

I was wrong about it though :poke:

The investment is way to high IMO, but I don't know there will be a good

version from Josh soon.

Guess I'll have to wait and see.....

AllergyDoc
I bought a (gen) GMT Master in July 1986. I'm pretty sure it's a 16750. It has "OYSTER PERPETUAL" (no "DATE") on the dial, but it's a gloss dial with the white gold surrounds. So I'm a little confused after reading the information at the Vintage Rolex Forum.

According to this site that model was released in 1985.

A gen GMT would be a very nice watch to own.

Akira

I mean it's a vintage :thumbsup:

AllergyDoc

If you do, have her source one with a jubilee bracelet. The Oyster bracelets all come with a big, fat Sub. clasp, which looks horrible and is inaccurate.

vax

I just received two from Mary yesterday. 1st one has a black bezel, jubilee band and 21j movement. I hate black bezel and jubilee bands but that model looks more real as a low level GMT. I got the 21j to try it out (my 1st).

2nd one is a Pepsi, with an oyster band with no flip lock and an ETA clone. Should have bought the 21j as these reps are not good, not keepers.

How do they look? Overall it looks OK, maybe the first combo in a NATO band at 88 dollars is the best.

You want a nice GMT rep, the 16700 is as good as it gets. It is a copy of the 'mistake', 'double sticks' GMT ll. I got that one in ETA clone and it looks and feels like a real watch. There are flaws but it is the only game in town since BK is not doing this one any more.

Slim

According to this site that model was released in 1985.

A gen GMT would be a very nice watch to own.

Thanks. Yes, it is.

RolexAddict
This is the newest of the "vintage" GMT (NOT GMT-II):

5370811714_c355f02557_z.jpg

yes this is the 16750.

2 types of GMT vintage :

-the 1675 with only "OYSTER PERPETUAL" written on the dial and the GMT hand in first position starting from the dial base.

-the 16750 with "OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE" and the white gold surrounded dots. On these types, the GMT hand is stacked between the hours and minutes hands.

the rest of the watch is absolutely the same as the 1675 : same case/crown, same bezel and wide insert, same plexi and bracelets option

Why these changes and the word "DATE" added ?

Because with the 16750 Rolex introduced a new movement with new date change feature called "date rapide" allowing to set the date via the crown. Like on the old Submariner models (5513 etc.), on the 1675 you cannot change the date via the crown.

For exemple, if the date window shows the 1th of the month and its the day 31, you need to turn the hands 31 x 24H to set the correct date...

Another precision :

on the 1675 and 16750 the GMT hand also is not ajustable, it is just synchronized with the hours hand and make a complete dial turn in 24H and the time must be read on the bezel. To read a second time zone you need to ajust the bi-directional bezel

The GMT hand setting via the crown was introduced later the GMT II model.

some classic I have built, sorry pics are noisy and not sharp

Classic 1675, pepsi, yellowed tritium, with a 7836 folded bracelet, and the classic black with a 78360. Both use the same clasp like the Datejust models

gmt02xx.jpg

gmt01.jpg

gmt06.jpg

gmt07.jpg

gmt05.jpg

Akira

Beautiful

You built the classic black with the same base watch like the pepsi?

Same like your other post about the pepsi 1675 or do I need to check somewhere else?

Thanks a lot

Akira

dingle

stunning! :P

Akira

I read your last post RA about the project again.

I guess it's really the best for me to wait if Josh

offers a 1675 soon....

Cheers

Akira

Slim
yes this is the 16750.

2 types of GMT vintage :

-the 1675 with only "OYSTER PERPETUAL" written on the dial and the GMT hand in first position starting from the dial base.

-the 16750 with "OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE" and the white gold surrounded dots. On these types, the GMT hand is stacked between the hours and minutes hands.

the rest of the watch is absolutely the same as the 1675 : same case/crown, same bezel and wide insert, same plexi and bracelets option

Why these changes and the word "DATE" added ?

Because with the 16750 Rolex introduced a new movement with new date change feature called "date rapide" allowing to set the date via the crown. Like on the old Submariner models (5513 etc.), on the 1675 you cannot change the date via the crown.

Note though that some 16750s don't have the word "DATE" added. Hence my earlier confusion.

The first 16750s have a matt dial, no "DATE" and no surrounds (these are known as 'transitional' 16750s), this is a pic of one:

gmt16750trans.jpg

This was replaced by the gloss dial with the white gold surrounds, but the first of these, like mine below, don't have the word "DATE" either:

gmt004.jpg

This is a useful site: http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com

ww12345

The Puretime one has been released. To my untrained eye it looks right: Coin-edge bezel, no "Date", etc.

Are there any huge flaws like on the old ones? I can't tell which hand-stack it is.

Also, I wonder what the reliability of the ETA would be...

Here is the URL:http://puretimewatch.com/product/vintage-gmt-master-6542-black-dial-bluered-eta2846/

ww12345

edit: I just realized that this is a 6542 not a 1675.

Edited by ww12345