Sign in to follow this  
jake

Second Hand Issue

jake

Brand new watch, and it's a VERY long story (that I may get around to posting here some day when it's all over) but I'd rather take a stab at fixing the problem if it's fixable rather than send it back:

You'll see it's not just a "cosmetic" issue, because a minute goes by on the watch in a 50 second video...

Edited by jake

prestigewatchco

if it's 21 Jewel then no fix possible only a new movement. Is this a big watch? if it is the problem maybe inherent due to length of second hand so maybe unfixable using a 21j movement early Milguass suffered from similar problem because of weight of zig zag second hand . Factory had to modify them to cure the problem.

If it is a 2836 or similar problem can be fixed with a new gear

jake
if it's 21 Jewel then no fix possible only a new movement. Is this a big watch? if it is the problem maybe inherent due to length of second hand so maybe unfixable using a 21j movement early Milguass suffered from similar problem because of weight of zig zag second hand . Factory had to modify them to cure the problem.

If it is a 2836 or similar problem can be fixed with a new gear

Nah - it's a 21J... guess it's another $33 trip back to China for a $108 watch... :D

You'll all hear about it eventually. Just want to give the other party a chance to make good before I rush to any judgement... although I wouldn't exactly be "rushing" at this point.

Edited by jake

greg_r

21J movements are usually pretty reliable, but the limitation is that there's no parts available - you can only get complete replacement movements (which are very inexpensive btw).

Sorry you're having a problem....

prestigewatchco

Why so much to send it back to China? People who return watches to me as they are advised pay $6 from US and around 4 pounds from UK

KBH

A21j movements are basic knock offs of a Miyota Cal 8215 movement. This will explain the stutter to you in detail:

http://www.timezone.com/library/workbench/workbench0002

It's not really a defect in the movement and won't affect the timekeeping at all.

But, it's also one of the reasons I've given up buying 21j movement watches.

Added, from the above article:

The "Hesitating Second Hand", observed on Invicta and other brands of watches is simply a characteristic of the "Indirect Seconds" type of movement design and in no way has any effect on the watch accuracy or timekeeping. If any watch company wanted to do something about it, the simplest, and really the only practical solution, would be to poise the second-hand. However, tens of millions of Indirect Seconds type watches of many different manufacture, in all grades from the cheapest pin pallet to high grade Swiss watches have been made in the past 50 years or so, and have been used with no problems at all. Indeed, it is hard to imagine how this characteristic could ever be observed during normal wear on the wrist, anyway. One can only assume it was claimed as a problem in an attempt to find fault in a watch which offers such excellent value for money as the Invictas do. So all you owners of Invictas, Omegas or any of the many, many other brands that use the same method for driving the second hand, there's no need to worry about it!

capice

interesting reading this TZthread, thanks for sharing....

A21j movements are basic knock offs of a Miyota Cal 8215 movement. This will explain the stutter to you in detail:

http://www.timezone.com/library/workbench/workbench0002

It's not really a defect in the movement and won't affect the timekeeping at all.

But, it's also one of the reasons I've given up buying 21j movement watches.

WebWind

But timekeeping of his watches is affected. It is cca 10 secs. faster in one revolution.

KBH

But timekeeping of his watches is affected. It is cca 10 secs. faster in one revolution.

I guess he's also got another problem. Either the hair spring is tangled or the movement is magnetized possibly, That could also exaggerate the stutter problem.

jake
Why so much to send it back to China? People who return watches to me as they are advised pay $6 from US and around 4 pounds from UK

I was told to send airmail... at the post office the only option was $33. I think there may be cheaper options, but in the interest of it getting there without any issues, airmail was preferred. I could be wrong. Anybody have any info on getting things there safely and inexpensively?

jake

I guess he's also got another problem. Either the hair spring is tangled or the movement is magnetized possibly, That could also exaggerate the stutter problem.

Yeah I think so... thanks for that link - I had actually seen that in looking for an answer for my problem, but I determined that since it wasn't keeping time, that was the issue - or at least not the ONLY issue.

jake

Looks like I'm going to get a replacement. I'm going for a different model entirely so I don't have more issues...

I'd ask if anyone who can swap the movement cares to make an offer on this peice, but I don't have my "50 quality posts" yet.

KBH

I was told to send airmail... at the post office the only option was $33. I think there may be cheaper options, but in the interest of it getting there without any issues, airmail was preferred. I could be wrong. Anybody have any info on getting things there safely and inexpensively?

Assuming you're from the US, what I pay via standard air mail is around $7. No tracking but USPS doesn't offer tracking to China anyway, AFAIK.

jake

Assuming you're from the US, what I pay via standard air mail is around $7. No tracking but USPS doesn't offer tracking to China anyway, AFAIK.

Yikes - what did I do wrong? I used this form:

usps-ems.jpg

Wrong one? This one did have tracking, BTW, which was required by the dealer...

Edited by jake

prestigewatchco

Delete that address for goodness sake it's an illigal transaction

dingle

Jake---please do not post this type of info.

jake

sorry... :woo:

dingle

sorry... :woo:

we all make mistakes. :woo:

KBH

The only ones I've ever had to send back were to Perfect Clones and Joshua specifies standard air mail. He says that it's the safest coming into China due to their Customs. If your dealer says otherwise, who am I to argue?

jake
The only ones I've ever had to send back were to Perfect Clones and Joshua specifies standard air mail. He says that it's the safest coming into China due to their Customs. If your dealer says otherwise, who am I to argue?

A guy who's paying a good $25 less for shipping, that's who :lol:

Do that a few times and you've lost enough to have paid for another watch... Oh no. I think it just happened... I'm thinking in terms of "rep watches" instead of "dollars"

KBH

That $25 difference is pretty expensive insurance on a $100 watch.

jake
That $25 difference is pretty expensive insurance on a $100 watch.

Sure is...

But part of the long story is that both my original DJII (Swiss ETA 2836-2) and MB Sport (Asian 21J) were broken within a month, and both had to go back. $33 didn't sound so bad when it was $350 worth of watches going back, but if that Aqua Terra was gonna go, it was going to be really hard to part with another $33 for it. Luckily it doesn't look like it's going to come to that, and I'm not sure the dealer would have even asked for the added insurance on just the cheap piece.