Sign in to follow this  
bos98

The $76 watchbox from eBay! A Review - Modified to add lights - Now with Laser Beams

bos98

I just received my automatic watch winding box from eBay!. I was not really sure what to expect in the way of quality as these things seem to range in price from around $80 USD to $4000 depending on where you get one or the features.

However I will say that this item NEW WATCH WINDER BOX/CASE 4+6 Automatic is a pretty decent option in my mind.

It arrived yesterday and was well boxed and shipped with no damage to the unit at all. It requires almost zero brain power to setup, you just set it down and plug it in and you are done.

It is a bit flashy and when I need another one.....(more watches coming) I would get it in black.

There are 2 switches on the back side to control each winder motor. The motors are dead silent, which was a concern as my wife already thinks this hobby is insane, and adding a "motorized watch monument" (as she calls it) to my nightstand which was already a crazy idea for her,would not fly if it was noisy.

The unit runs for a few minutes rotating the watches in each direction then stops automatically to save on motor wear.

One thing I would add to this device would be an internal lighting mechanism, to charge watch lumes while they are in the case and I may mod the box to allow for this.

Here are 2 pictures and a video of it in action.

Closed

IMG_4509.jpg

Opened

IMG_4510.jpg

Click to watch the video

th_MVI_4511.jpg

Edited by bos98

KBH

Looks very nice for that price. As long as it's quiet and the motors last, it seems like a great deal.

bos98

One of my good friends is an Investment Banker in NYC, lives on Wall St. across from the Exchange. Has all the money in the world and has like 8 GEN watches, had a winder from Nordstrom which cost him about a grand I think, it broke after a few months and he bought a couple of these on ebay and has had them working for well over a year without an issue.

So here is to hoping mine lasts at least as long!

Looks very nice for that price. As long as it's quiet and the motors last, it seems like a great deal.

Del

That looks really good for $76! Nice find B).

613Kid
I would get it in black.

I do not see a black version on that sellers site, do you know if he has a black version?

bos98

If I had more watches in my collection already I probably would have purchased this one: 8 Watch winder + 10 storage

But I did not want to spend $250, that is another watch!

Cynikal.Mindset

UGHHH...must not buy!!!!

bos98
I would get it in black.

I do not see a black version on that sellers site, do you know if he has a black version?

Black 8 Watch version different seller

However I may just sand mine down, and spray it matte black for that custom look when I do my light modification to charge the watch lumes

bos98

OK 20 minutes later... some rope light a drill and a small saw

In progress, I had some rope light in my basement from a project I did on my deck last summer.

IMG_4513.jpg

Pretty much complete.

IMG_4512.jpg

IMG_4516.jpg

IMG_4515.jpg

IMG_4514.jpg

I still may take it all apart and sand it down and paint it but then again I have actual work to do.

No idea if this is even going to charge the lumes on the watches, but I guess it is better than nothing and it looks cool.

KeNnY

very good ! :lol: must buy for me one also :D

Member X

Haha Awesome lighting DIY :P

dingle
Haha Awesome lighting DIY :P

+1

very nice. :troll:

Del

Great job with the lighting :troll:.

I love the fact that you had some rope light just lying about waiting to be used :P.

Kutio

Very nice, especially for $79. Loving the lighting mate. Now I'm going to go home and investigate my one. Only problem for me (not so much for your selection) is the bottom row looks a little too small for Pams.

bos98

No PAM yet to test it out for you, however I am accepting donations.. Hehehehe.

bos98
Great job with the lighting :clap:.

I love the fact that you had some rope light just lying about waiting to be used :lol:.

Who doesn't have extra rope lighting? If i were to do it again I would go to an automotive parts store and get some under the dashboard LED light strips which are DC 12V and wire it in directly to the rest of the winder electronics.

The rope light is a separate plug now on a timer.

greg_r

hmm - all it needs now is a glitter ball :lol:

Nice work :clap:

bos98
hmm - all it needs now is a glitter ball :D

Nice work ;)

Lol, I don't have that but I do have a Fog Machine and a Laser Light show device...... Pictures coming up!

T9000
hmm - all it needs now is a glitter ball :P

Nice work :D

;)

greg_r
hmm - all it needs now is a glitter ball ;)

Nice work :P

Lol, I don't have that but I do have a Fog Machine and a Laser Light show device...... Pictures coming up!

:rofl: That I've GOT to see :D

Dendo
hmm - all it needs now is a glitter ball ;)

EXACTLY LMAO.gifLMAO.gifLMAO.gifLMAO.gifLMAO.gif

bos98

Didn't feel like hauling the fog machine out of the attic, so you wont get the full effect of the lasers.

th_MVI_4518.jpg

Left over equipment from College DJ'ing, guess it is good I kept this stuff for other member's amusement

Del

You've taken that too far....:Whistle::lol: