Sign in to follow this  
GenTLe

Repainting watch hands

GenTLe

Hi,

some time ago I bought a Skyland Avenger chrono from Toro, special price but wrong hands.

In fact it is like one of these:

IMG_2980-1024x768.JPG

While the gen are like these:

avenger-skyland.jpg

So I'm "caressing" the idea of repaint and then relume the hands.

And I found this:

Intriguing I'd say.

Other way is described here: http://chronocentric...d=read;id=56223 ans is valid too.

Have to try and see which one works better :) I'll try experimenting on some spare hands I have around (the ones that come with new movements).

Dr Yan

Whatever you do .......don't start painting all the second hands red !!!!!

:)

peteins

Use nail varnish and a very small fine brush :)

Or an oiler

kennycoder

I'm going to do something similar very very soon. I'll try to fix Top Gun's chrono seconds hand... that airplane's tail that is too red and needs to be matte black. Already ordered the paint (vallejo 950). I'll have half a bottle of whisky just to have steady hands.

JazzV3

It looks like that may just be a version discrepancy?

I found several gen photos that had the stainless hands and an article showing the white hand version referring to it as a "limited edition".

Fluff? Maybe the Breitling Avenger expert knows...

Gens:

2015-10-15_0953.png2015-10-15_0948.png

GenTLe

I'm going to do something similar very very soon. I'll try to fix Top Gun's chrono seconds hand... that airplane's tail that is too red and needs to be matte black. Already ordered the paint (vallejo 950). I'll have half a bottle of whisky just to have steady hands.

Which version?

Because I've this one:

IMG_4970-1024x768.jpg

And it looks like the gen:

iwc-montre-d-aviateur-chronographe-edition-top-gun-iw378901_8374.jpg

elp

Now kenny won't have an excuse to drink anymore!

GenTLe

It looks like that may just be a version discrepancy?

I found several gen photos that had the stainless hands and an article showing the white hand version referring to it as a "limited edition".

Fluff? Maybe the Breitling Avenger expert knows...

Gens:

2015-10-15_0953.png2015-10-15_0948.png

Uhm, you are right: looking here http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_details/Aeromarine_214.html it seems that the newer version is the one that is named just "Avenger" (no Skyland) and has metal hands and metal numbers.

Still they made a mish-mash: the dial (if I remember right) has white numbers (old model) and metal hands (new model)...

trailboss99

If it's one like Trevor's "Razy Sale" of a year or so ago it's a mish mash alright, it should be the Ti version. Have a play or just love it for what it is.

JazzV3

I'll have to look again at my Toro Skyland. I might have the Mish Mash version..lol

Just checked and the one I have has white numbers and white hands - BUT - I only now noticed a small pit in the lume on the minute hand.

Now who was that again that is the relume expert?

GenTLe

If it's one like Trevor's "Razy Sale" of a year or so ago it's a mish mash alright, it should be the Ti version. Have a play or just love it for what it is.

Nope: Toro Special (still going I think).

Now who was that again that is the relume expert?

KeNnY :)

TRANSPORTER

Ive painted hands and dial numbers in the past, ( dial numbers on silix feed back id modded a cheapie po) anyway the way i do it is with acrylic paint, i rough the hands up so they are "keyed" and the paint has something to adhere to, i then use an oiler and use capillary action to get the paint onto the hands/numbers in one nice smooth fluid action.

my one bit of advice is to just be patient waiting for them to dry, leave them a good 12 hours just to make sure the paint is dry. Good luck its pretty easy you just need to have the confidence.

GenTLe

Thanks mate :)