Sign in to follow this  
aargh

Fixing dial hour markers

aargh

It is just me or do reps (even the $200+ ones) often have dial problems where one or two hour markers are slightly off (i.e. not completely straight)

I was wondering, maybe I could open the case, take out the movement to re-adjust those hour markers on the dial. Anyone have any experience on how hard this is to do? (I've never opened my watch to remove the movement before)

Edited by aargh

Brightlight
It is just me or do reps (even the $200+ ones) often have dial problems where one or two hour markers are slightly off (i.e. not completely straight)

I was wondering, maybe I could open the case, take out the movement to re-adjust those hour markers on the dial. Anyone have any experience on how hard this is to do? (I've never opened my watch to remove the movement before)

Some of them do come loose in transit but a pic and knowing which watch it is would make it easer to figure out.

Akira

Generally I would say its possible

If you don't want to adjust the hole, you could flaten the marker

and glue it on the dial...

aargh

oh and all this time I just thought the hour markers were glued onto the dial. there's actually holes behind them...

maybe i should buy a cheapo automatic watch to disassemble and reassemble for practice.

aargh

Some of them do come loose in transit but a pic and knowing which watch it is would make it easer to figure out.

Take for example this Tag Heurer Carrera, the 9'oclock marker is slightly askew.

x9rdU.jpg

some people they might think it is minor, but these types of things jump out at me. so i was wondering how hard it is to open up the watch and fix these types of dial problems.

Brightlight

Take for example this Tag Heurer Carrera, the 9'oclock marker is slightly askew.

x9rdU.jpg

some people they might think it is minor, but these types of things jump out at me. so i was wondering how hard it is to open up the watch and fix these types of dial problems.

Difficult to be sure if that is a separate marker or a blob of lume applied to the dial. If it is a marker it may be possible to remove it and glue it back straight but a lot of care will be necessary. If it is a blob of lume, forget it.

If it is a new watch, might be worth getting your dealer to source a new and better dial and get someone to fit it for you.

Edit - oh and if you decide to do it yourself, remember that marker is very very small and can disappear never to be found again in no time flat!!

Akira

oh and all this time I just thought the hour markers were glued onto the dial. there's actually holes behind them...

maybe i should buy a cheapo automatic watch to disassemble and reassemble for practice.

Hope this helps mate :)

dsc04694j.jpg