Sign in to follow this  
WatchDog21

Seiko Shenanigans

WatchDog21

I recently sent my vintage Seiko 7002 off to Spencer Klein (http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=108658&hl=&fromsearch=1). He offers a free (excl. postage) video recored evaluation of the watch and you can make your decision as to how to proceed.

I just got my video back and as I watching it Spencer estimated spot on where the watch came from and even the eBay seller (mountapo_merchant) without me ever having mentioning anything about it! I replied to his email and explained that he was correct and provided him the sellers name.

Spencer indicated that this guy was selling "a ton" of his watches to a reseller in the UK (no loner in business). This reseller would take magazine quality photos and list them for sale as being from London. This in turn obscured the actual history of the watches. The reseller used very vague language and used "shill bidding" to drive the prices up and then catching the unsuspecting buyer. That reseller then kept switching names to avoid all the negative feedback.

Spencer said typically these sellers from that general region will just piece the watches together good enough to run for a very short time, clean them all up so that they look good and sell them on eBay.

Not a big surprise here on the quality of what may come from that region. I was just shocked that Spencer could recognize the handy work of this particular eBay seller without ever being told who I bought it from.