Sign in to follow this  
GenTLe

What is the best way to treat dried strap leather?

GenTLe

Hi all,

it happens that sometimes a nice leather strap with time, some water and so on becomes dry and start to lose its beauty and gets a bit too much distressed.

So I'm asking all of you, but especially to the strap makers like JohnG or McJules, what can be done to bring them at their original beauty possibly avoiding to make them too dark or to damage the stitching.

Thanks, GenTLe

BadPickle

Human seamen, preferably from a pubescent virgin ;)

roie16

Well I am not a big leather expert(or even a small one for that matter :D ) but I do have several leather jackets from both sheep and calf leather, after couple of years when my calf leather Jacket had started to dry out I searched in some leather forums, long story short I am using this:

Lexol 908 Leather Care Kit

Link:

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o02_s00

On all of my jackets, the Item I would recommend from the kit is the conditioner, it is excellent in removing the tear marks cause by dry leather … again I am not a leather expert but I can assume that as long as it is not Croc or alligator leather that this conditioner will work OK.

best of luck :thumbsup:

Or as was suggested above, you can always ejaculate all over them :fme: :fme:

BaggyPants

Pecard leather dressing

millionaire wannabe

Mink oil.

elp

Same as for shoes GenTLe. I've had good results from leather conditioner. Shoe polish works but stains the thread if a lighter colour.

@PBR - I'm assuming you mean pussy juices? Semen wouldn't penetrate in the cracks as too thick.

tabuktime
Same as for shoes GenTLe. I've had good results from leather conditioner. Shoe polish works but stains the thread if a lighter colour.

@PBR - I'm assuming you mean pussy juices? Semen wouldn't penetrate in the cracks as too thick.

Fanny Batter is a panacea!

:D

black263

If you want proper advice, go to a local saddler. They are well accustomed to reviving damaged leather.

elp

If you want proper advice, go to a local saddler. They are well accustomed to reviving damaged leather.

I doubt their advice will be as entertaining as ours though :)

HeavyKrush

Gentle, you would be hard pressed to find an oil or conditioner that doesn't darken the leather somewhat. Personally I've used neats foot oil for older straps but for sure darkened the leather. I'd suggest a conditioner like Chelsea's Lether Food "clear". This will also give you some ability to polish the strap a bit as well. Best of luck.

Kleen™

White mineral oil (vaseline) - I've used it on all of my leather products, from furniture to race suits and boots for the last 20 years.

It just plain works and has no ill-effects.

GenTLe

LOL, we are not in the wild wild west here :) I don't even know where saddlers are in Italy, but surely they are very few ;)

PhillyRock

Neats foot oil (Mink oil)

JohnG

This

An equestrian shop or a FINE shoe store.

I would recommend neatsfoot oil, but is going to make the leather darker. I think most anything worth a damn is going to because it has to penetrate to do its job. That said, once absorbed for a few days, the color will ighten up again somewhat - it won´t stay as dark as during application.

Baldrick
I don't even know where saddlers are in Italy,

WOT !!!.....you fuckin' live in Italy......and you can't find a leather 'expert'.............God spare your tiny calceus :facepalm:

Kleen™

Mineral oil is the only dressing, that is chemically inert and will not change it's properties over time like other stuff containing either mineral or vegetable based components. If you investigate into the matter deeply enough, you will come to the same conslusion eventually, I'm sure...:)

But hey - feel free to use whatever the salesmen tells you...;)

GenTLe
I don't even know where saddlers are in Italy,

WOT !!!.....you fuckin' live in Italy......and you can't find a leather 'expert'.............God spare your tiny calceus :facepalm:

Yeah, I don't know where all this hype about Italian leather comes from... Yes we do some good shoes (but they are the 500$ ones, surely not Geox or similar industrial products) and... And... ...??

GenTLe

Ok, thanks all guys, I'll do some test :) I didn't even know that something like neastfoot oil existed!

Baldrick
Yeah, I don't know where all this hype about Italian leather comes from...

Errr....lemme see......Italy perhaps :B):

black263

Ok, thanks all guys, I'll do some test :) I didn't even know that something like neastfoot oil existed!

It's Neatsfoot oil. Oil from the foot and shinbone of a Neat.

GenTLe
Yeah, I don't know where all this hype about Italian leather comes from...

Errr....lemme see......Italy perhaps :B):

I think we are highly overrated for that (very few things are built here nowadays, practically only luxury stuff). We are good for design. For food. For science (despite the poor amount of funds for it).

It's Neatsfoot oil. Oil from the foot and shinbone of a Neat.

Yes I googled it :)

jakethemouse

I use oakwood leather conditioner. Most leather conditioners will darken the leather a little bit. I like oakwood cauae it still smells natural and i find it protects and doesn't stain the stitching.

theslavetrainer

Sorbeline

TheSav
I use oakwood leather conditioner. Most leather conditioners will darken the leather a little bit. I like oakwood cauae it still smells natural and i find it protects and doesn't stain the stitching.

Another vote for Oakwood. Its cheap and can easily bought at any equestrian store as it's generally used for saddles. I use it on watch strap, leather race suits, boots etc and it works a Charm. Put a little into a container and microwave for a few seconds to soften then rub rub rub it in :)

Again, it will darken the leather a little but as previously mentioned, after a few days it will lighten up to almost it's original colour.