Sign in to follow this  
Foxindebox

Uh oh, I'm getting a bit obsessed with 6139 Chronos (this will be expensive) UPDATE AND PICS IN 1st POST

Foxindebox

Hi Guys,

I had recently bought a seiko 6139-6002 which was sold as spares or repair (pushers were not working). Anyway, I fixed the pushers and tidied the watch up a bit and here it is.

20151104_095828_zpsipstg8lq.jpg

Anyway, the movement needs a service and I couldn't find anyone who would take it on (lack of available parts, so they couldn't guarantee it). So, I decided to buy a movement from an eBay seller to practice on and try to do it myself.

The practice went well and now I have a nice movement with no case or dial....

So, I then went onto eBay and picked up a lovely complete case set with dial and hands (more on that to come). Unfortunately I then saw another one with a brown dial that looked in need of some love. I bought that one as well. So I now have two more project watches in addition to the one that needed a service.

The upside is I really know my way round the 6139 movement now :D

I'll update with some project progress pics as and when the parts come in.

UPDATE#1

Well, here is the first one semi-finished. I'm wearing it on a ZULU to "road test" and see how it runs.

More to follow :)

20151110_082121_zpsfj0ym3r0.jpg

Edited by Foxindebox

Gazzla
QjXMx8G.gif

Wriggles

Good condition running ones go for decent money on eBay so you could offload extras when you're done fixing em up, I know cos I've been hunting one for a while but not quite at the prices they fetch online, waiting to see can I snatch one at a better price when nobodies looking....patience is the name of the game I expect.

Genius

Good condition running ones go for decent money on eBay so you could offload extras when you're done fixing em up, I know cos I've been hunting one for a while but not quite at the prices they fetch online, waiting to see can I snatch one at a better price when nobodies looking....patience is the name of the game I expect.

Or buy a fucked one and send it over to Foxindebox our new resident seiko tinkerer

Seriously though takes some skill to service a chrono movement so well done!

wdev

I like the sunburst dial and the pepsi bezel...

P5dQe.gif

Foxindebox

Cheers guys. I don't think I will be offering any tinkering services though, I know where that particular road ALWAYS leads ;)

I might well put one up for sale once I'm done if they are up to scratch.

It's good fun getting more into the tinkering as I've just started a watchmaking course and now have access to a full workshop and a very knowledgeable tutor (haven't a fucking clue how to use the machinary yet).

Updates to follow...

Edited by Foxindebox

PeterPC

I recently picked up both a gold dial pogue and a blue dial pogue. Love 'em to bits and also getting quite obsessed with other 6139 ' s, so I share your joy/pain/dilemma. So many watches, so few wrists. Have toyed with the idea of becoming an amateur tinkerer, picking up cheapies and bringing them back to life. I imagine it's immensely satisfying. Other than having lousy eyesight and useless Russian peasant fingers, it worries me more the dent it would leave in my wallet and the scorn it might bring from my bride, who already can't understand my fascination with watches.

Congratulations on what you've done with your watches. They're absolute beauties.

Foxindebox
I recently picked up both a gold dial pogue and a blue dial pogue. Love 'em to bits and also getting quite obsessed with other 6139 ' s, so I share your joy/pain/dilemma. So many watches, so few wrists. Have toyed with the idea of becoming an amateur tinkerer, picking up cheapies and bringing them back to life. I imagine it's immensely satisfying. Other than having lousy eyesight and useless Russian peasant fingers, it worries me more the dent it would leave in my wallet and the scorn it might bring from my bride, who already can't understand my fascination with watches.

Congratulations on what you've done with your watches. They're absolute beauties.

Thanks very much mate :)