Sign in to follow this  
DAY9080

Actual Profit in Reps

Pesman

The only real down side to my eyes, is water resistance I like to swim with a diver and fear of leakage and rusty pins prevents that

Hornet

Same discussion can be had just about any product. Toyota vs Mercedes. Both do the same thing, but you won't see a sports hero or celebrity driving a Toyota. It's mostly about perception and marketing.

Bollocks. Ridiculous generalisation.

A good friend of mine is both a celebrity and a multi-millionaire. He drives a beat-up 30 year-old Landrover. His wife currently drives a Toyota.

I agree! I know many extremely wealthy people who drive average cars. Watches are something else! There is something about a watch that brings out a different side of a person.

Nonsense. The same guy is a member here - he owns a wide range of both gens and reps.

You'd be surprised at some of the folks on these fora.

I ask myself the question, if I didn't have the commitments that I do, would I buy more expensive gen watches than I currently do? Probably but I also feel like I get a similar experience from owning the rep. I guess it's a personal thing like most other things. Different strokes for different folks.

I would not buy real expensive gens if money were no object. The main difference in quality between reps and gens IMO is in the movement and I have a phone that does an even better job at the time than the gens. The reps accomplish exactly what I need them for; a bit of bling and I like looking at them.

Really? If you were a billionaire you'd still buy reps? I've said the same as you before, but I think if money were really no object I'd be buying the gens.

black263

A family member has a Bentley Arnage and a rep Breitling Bentley.

Testomatic
A family member has a Bentley Arnage and a rep Breitling Bentley.

And that s the trick, if you drive an arnage even if you wear a 10$ canal street rep i won t try to call you out :-)

Left Coast Guy

Same discussion can be had just about any product. Toyota vs Mercedes. Both do the same thing, but you won't see a sports hero or celebrity driving a Toyota. It's mostly about perception and marketing.

A good friend of mine is both a celebrity and a multi-millionaire. He drives a beat-up 30 year-old Landrover. His wife currently drives a Toyota.

I agree! I know many extremely wealthy people who drive average cars. Watches are something else! There is something about a watch that brings out a different side of a person.

Nonsense. The same guy is a member here - he owns a wide range of both gens and reps.

I ask myself the question, if I didn't have the commitments that I do, would I buy more expensive gen watches than I currently do? Probably but I also feel like I get a similar experience from owning the rep. I guess it's a personal thing like most other things. Different strokes for different folks.

I would not buy real expensive gens if money were no object. The main difference in quality between reps and gens IMO is in the movement and I have a phone that does an even better job at the time than the gens. The reps accomplish exactly what I need them for; a bit of bling and I like looking at them.

Really? If you were a billionaire you'd still buy reps? I've said the same as you before, but I think if money were really no object I'd be buying the gens.

I work for billionaire, as in he's my boss and I report directly to him -- Though I work with him regularly, I won't claim to say I know him inside and out, but if anything he's more value-driven and pragmatic about his money than anyone I know. You don't become a billionaire by letting others suck up a million bucks here or there, you become a billionaire by greedily gobbling up every spare bit of value you can!!!

While money isn't an object for him, he still doesn't want to overpay for anything....he wants a deal on everything,and only really spends frivolously on two things -- his kids and anything they want or desire, and high-end call girls.

Testomatic

I can only afford rep call-girls

Testomatic

I work for billionaire, as in he's my boss and I report directly to him -- Though I work with him regularly, I won't claim to say I know him inside and out, but if anything he's more value-driven and pragmatic about his money than anyone I know. You don't become a billionaire by letting others suck up a million bucks here or there, you become a billionaire by greedily gobbling up every spare bit of value you can!!!

While money isn't an object for him, he still doesn't want to overpay for anything....he wants a deal on everything,and only really spends frivolously on two things -- his kids and anything they want or desire, and high-end call girls.

I can only afford rep call-girls

DAY9080

Haha... Cheap call girls are never a good look! Like most things in life, you get what you pay for (I'm assuming of course)!

myaz

Again, these generalizations, be they cars or watches, do not necessarily apply.

Just like you know wealthy people driving average cars, I have met a number of wealthy people that don't give a rat's ass about watches. In fact, many people that you won't suspect to be millionaires got to be that way by living below their means, meaning they have avoided expensive status symbols in order to build wealth.

I had a mentor tell me a long time ago: you can have any thing you want but you can't have everything you want. Hence even Fluff can have his gen Seawolf with the right plan.

Fair comment! Everyone has their poison and depending on what that is they will be willing to pay a premium for it.

^ 'Xactly. We are drawn to this forum because we happen to like watches. The mistake is to assume everyone else feels the same way, that watches "bring out a different side of a person" for all others as well.

To wit, I recently wore a strikingly unusual watch to a function, in plain sight the whole time, instead of hiding it under my sleeve like I normally do, hoping that it would start a conversation. I may have to file a "Hurt Feelings Report" that no one there said squat. I also noticed that their eyes never looked down at my wrist, kinda like I don't look at people's feet and notice what type of shoes they wear.

DAY9080

Again, these generalizations, be they cars or watches, do not necessarily apply.

Just like you know wealthy people driving average cars, I have met a number of wealthy people that don't give a rat's ass about watches. In fact, many people that you won't suspect to be millionaires got to be that way by living below their means, meaning they have avoided expensive status symbols in order to build wealth.

I had a mentor tell me a long time ago: you can have any thing you want but you can't have everything you want. Hence even Fluff can have his gen Seawolf with the right plan.

Fair comment! Everyone has their poison and depending on what that is they will be willing to pay a premium for it.

^ 'Xactly. We are drawn to this forum because we happen to like watches. The mistake is to assume everyone else feels the same way, that watches "bring out a different side of a person" for all others as well.

To wit, I recently wore a strikingly unusual watch to a function, in plain sight the whole time, instead of hiding it under my sleeve like I normally do, hoping that it would start a conversation. I may have to file a "Hurt Feelings Report" that no one there said squat. I also noticed that their eyes never looked down at my wrist, kinda like I don't look at people's feet and notice what type of shoes they wear.

Dude I feel your pain! I always want people to notice when I am wearing a new watch or one that I think is out of the ordinary. File that "hurt feelings" report dude!

myaz

Dude I feel your pain! I always want people to notice when I am wearing a new watch or one that I think is out of the ordinary. File that "hurt feelings" report dude!

:rofl: . Thank goodness we have this forum with members who truly understand the anguish it is to study reviews for hours and hours, order that special rep, wait interminably to get it, spend the time to open and get the pubes out, and then be ignored by the uninformed masses.

DAY9080

:rofl: . Thank goodness we have this forum with members who truly understand the anguish it is to study reviews for hours and hours, order that special rep, wait interminably to get it, spend the time to open and get the pubes out, and then be ignored by the uninformed masses.

The accursed pubes pop up once again! I think I will set up a de-pubing service! Forum members can get the "de-pube one get one free*" *total de-pubification is not guaranteed

myaz

The accursed pubes pop up once again! I think I will set up a de-pubing service! Forum members can get the "de-pube one get one free*" *total de-pubification is not guaranteed

Hey, don't mess with our reps, that would be akin to mescal without a worm :B):

Amg32

I think everyone without a grasp of basic business and things like OVERHEADS should delete their replies... Le sigh.

As mentioned a Rolex sub is $500-600 to manufacture.

So many planks take the retail knock $600 off and think that's clear profit.

Did all the R&D and machinery and man hours involved perfecting the product fall out the sky for free?

That's even before we mention things like marketing/advertising/sponsorship.

I read (and take with a pinch of salt) that excluding AD profit that Rolex makes roughly clear profit of 30% on each watch.

Some of the machines Rolex invented and use on the line cost millions of dollars to make and then they have to be serviced quite often to maintain tolerances. These are machines that can't be bought anywhere else. The investment these watch companies have in line equipment alone is what keeps new watch companies from popping up. The cost to make an in-house movement and then tool it up for mass production is so cost prohibitive only 3 companies that I know of have even attempted it in the last 10 years with RGM here in America being one. Go look at their watch prices and it will show it's a very expensive proposition.

This is beyond interesting thread. My etes hurting but i cant stop reading.lf Rolex has machines that cost millions to make rolex watches. I wonder what kind of machines China factories have because some of these rep Rolex is just beautiful and very identical for exmample look @ the new Bk 2015 Deep Blue Sea it looks identical afterthe mods !

DAY9080

I think everyone without a grasp of basic business and things like OVERHEADS should delete their replies... Le sigh.

Did all the R&D and machinery and man hours involved perfecting the product fall out the sky for free?

I read (and take with a pinch of salt) that excluding AD profit that Rolex makes roughly clear profit of 30% on each watch.

Some of the machines Rolex invented and use on the line cost millions of dollars to make and then they have to be serviced quite often to maintain tolerances. These are machines that can't be bought anywhere else. The investment these watch companies have in line equipment alone is what keeps new watch companies from popping up. The cost to make an in-house movement and then tool it up for mass production is so cost prohibitive only 3 companies that I know of have even attempted it in the last 10 years with RGM here in America being one. Go look at their watch prices and it will show it's a very expensive proposition.

This is beyond interesting thread. My etes hurting but i cant stop reading.lf Rolex has machines that cost millions to make rolex watches. I wonder what kind of machines China factories have because some of these rep Rolex is just beautiful and very identical for exmample look @ the new Bk 2015 Deep Blue Sea it looks identical afterthe mods !

Please post some images. I am trying to find a nice Rolex rep to add to the collection.

DAY9080

To be honest, that's what started this thread. I was curious as to how much money went into these reps because the craftsman ship is darn good for some backstreet Chinese factory. Some of these guys have got watch replication down to an art form.

Amg32

Gen Deep Blue Sea cost is around $12,500 or so.i tried this on at the Athorized Dealer

20150904_132246.jpg

20150904_132307.jpg

Amg32

2015 BK Deep Blue Rep

11E85AA5-3D06-4660-9886-09BEF314E11D.jpg

Amg32
EF608DF8-4FB0-4E37-87D3-E171D47DDE7B.jpg