dudermania

IWC Portuguese Automatic 5001 ZF Version

emameme

Ok, I fixed the hands so that the date change is midnight sharp and I regulated it.

It looks a well made movement to me. It is stable face up, vertical crown left, up and right. It gains around 10s/d when face down.

It autowinds in both directions (like an eta 2824, unlike the Miyota ones or the 775x).

The stem is easy to extract and reinsert with a bit of care that is always needed in this task, starting from time regulation position.

It looked clean, but a bit dry of oil... I put a bit of Moebius ones where I could (didn't want to service it for now).

At the beginning I thought that the bezel has to be removed to extract it from the case, but luckily the case back removal is enough.

Now some pic.

Before and after regulation:

b4ae28cca8ed5d7ca8ea4709b53ecf99.jpg

a026b08e23c1b5e2cccc8c10489839f9.jpg

1face653d7e1f1729e0e984aba1463d9.jpg

36bcc411c203de0a00410efdb3073481.jpg

77041fdcdad885a72c2a95e718733d7f.jpg

1c9defb3c6edd607da91f8c6581c00f2.jpg

A couple of pics of the movement and hands alignment after the repositioning.

91bbf44ad2b4262a5de41a9fa5e1b6d2.jpg

ae016b9aa4d1abda621daa409642b101.jpg

4a2e6d1ab05550cc04bc59895c61427c.jpg

Cheers, GenTLe

How have u fix the change date problem?

GenTLe

How have u fix the change date problem?

I removed the hands, regulated the time to the point that the date click and refit them back at 12 o'clock position.

ower

This one looks gorgeous. On my wish list for quite some time, very tempted!

emameme

Looks good.

If the caseback is screw on, you only have to turn it through 90 degrees. I'd take it off first, silicone grease the O ring and then make sure it's seated well. Then screw it on. Much as it's tempting to leave the IWC sticker on, I'd take it off. You'll have more chance of screwing it on properly.

You'll need a sticky ball or a caseback tool. Caseback tool would be better. Make sure it's adjusted snugly otherwise you'll scratch the back.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

How can I remove the OR without break it? it's positioned inside a seat.

Thanks ;)

GenTLe

With the tip of a little screwdriver, putting it between the case and the gasket

JSJ

Looks good.

If the caseback is screw on, you only have to turn it through 90 degrees. I'd take it off first, silicone grease the O ring and then make sure it's seated well. Then screw it on. Much as it's tempting to leave the IWC sticker on, I'd take it off. You'll have more chance of screwing it on properly.

You'll need a sticky ball or a caseback tool. Caseback tool would be better. Make sure it's adjusted snugly otherwise you'll scratch the back.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

How can I remove the OR without break it? it's positioned inside a seat.

Thanks ;)

The O ring is rubber. It will come out. Use a wooden or plastic toothpick (for example) and go under it. Try not to damage it by stabbing it.

pfdamion876

Love the 5001 and 5009...hoping the movement proves to be reliable.

epatterson

sorry if i missed this, what TD did you use?

Alex87

Wow awesome watch, im curious wich TD its from also. Hope you can Share it with us.

GenTLe

sorry if i missed this, what TD did you use?

Wow awesome watch, im curious wich TD its from also. Hope you can Share it with us.

Read the "NEW MEMBERS STARTS HERE" on the right side of the main forum page.

The TDs are NOT watchmakers! They all get the watches from the SAME factories (more or less).

So you need to know the FACTORY not the bloody TD! Once you know the Factory (in this case it can be ZF or YLF, that's it) you can ask for it to ANY TD.

Alex87

I know that, but cant i still ask wich TD you bought it from? Or is it a secret?

I might not post a lot over here but that doesn't mean im a noob!

Phantomtech

I know that, but cant i still ask wich TD you bought it from? Or is it a secret?

I might not post a lot over here but that doesn't mean im a noob!

I hate these questions with a passion. It's no secret but what the hell difference does it make to you where others shop? They all have the same bloody watch! It's just so annoying...

Please enlighten us as to why it matters which td he got it from??

end rant

Alex87

Because i dont know wich TD sells this exact factory. And it saves time looking around when someone just tells it!

Whats the use of NOT telling it? Its just selfish keeping it to yourself....

Isnt this a forum, isnt this ment for sharing information and knowledge with eachother?

Phantomtech
Because i dont know wich TD sells this exact factory. And it saves time looking around when someone just tells it!

Whats the use of NOT telling it? Its just selfish keeping it to yourself....Isnt this a forum, isnt this ment for sharing information and knowledge with eachother?

Well if you would have taken the time to read the new members guide you would have known that EVERY single td gets the same watch. They all get it from the same factory. Why would it save time when you can contact ANY td for that watch? They all have it!

Now, what difference does it make where anyone else bought it? Please enlighten me since I see this question asked countless times and my inbox is full of these as well. I dont get it. But its interesting that only newbs are the ones posing these questions... I am sure the longer you spend on this forum the less important it is where someone else bought their watch as long as you choose your own td.

Edited by Phantomtech

shokka9

:frusty:

That's how I feel, when I see the noob posts, and then they swear down, they aren't noobs.

Alex87

For a fact i know that NOT every TD sells every factory....

But if you want to be childish about it and dont Share your TD, be my guest. Seems Like a normal question to me.....

Phantomtech

For a fact i know that NOT every TD sells every factory....

But if you want to be childish about it and dont Share your TD, be my guest. Seems Like a normal question to me.....

Fact - every td can get every factory... Do I need to repeat that again for you?

grumpyguy

I'm a noob and was wondering the same thing. Thanks for clarifying.

Rdseno

I just bought a 5001, feel great watch. Compare to gen, its seem identically. Really like it

theflyingdutchman
I just bought a 5001, feel great watch. Compare to gen, its seem identically. Really like it

Nearly the same on a pic, but in hand the rep looses... I still love mine!

Phantomtech

Nearly the same on a pic, but in hand the rep looses... I still love mine!

Can you please elaborate on that? Am interested in your findings.

Slink73

Not looking to gazump your review. I have received the same 5001 but have the new ZF V3 with the updated movement, clasp and slightly curved strap bars. I was able to get hold of the grey dial with bronze markers and hands. The strap is being replaced with a santoni rep shortly but here are some macro shots of the dial, movement and clasp.

becd52bc4bc6b84997c4bdc8691f0f84.jpg

Its a great rep but under VERY close inspection the numerals for the '1', '11' and '12' are misaligned.

2923a4ee44a4963b035659dd6a788491.jpg

ed5dcb758b08627f91db0437510ea6e1.jpg

I feel you'd need a loupe to see this but the 11 is notably askew once spotted.

The movement is remarkably detailed and the two factories do have some subtle differences as mentioned elsewhere. The engraving and finish is quite something.

e1e55472968c7cb8f1ba4aff135b94f1.jpg

daba85ae77d748c35324af2f29e25054.jpg

266517e7e16d757dd77f11606482d9e3.jpg

The case and crown are finished in SS (the gen would be white gold) and the high quality continues

77d18f636b3620abecb087cfd539cb5d.jpg

With the case back edge engravings present

c0168a51bf383ab74067eb1a72e88811.jpg

The strap is tolerable but, as I am learning, is the usual weak linkb6b017e0e6ea98bb87570521c7c420b4.jpg in the reps armour.

The clasp though is finished with the same detail as the rest of the piece.

7b769b734591b879dbc9e6f28548bd82.jpg

The working PR and smooth second hand make for a really fine watch with quite some style. It wears small in my mind and even with the shit strap is comfortable on.

d796be82b3f34d502b521de4b7570988.jpg

Edited by Slink73

gravedigger
Ok, I fixed the hands so that the date change is midnight sharp and I regulated it.

It looks a well made movement to me. It is stable face up, vertical crown left, up and right. It gains around 10s/d when face down.

It autowinds in both directions (like an eta 2824, unlike the Miyota ones or the 775x).

The stem is easy to extract and reinsert with a bit of care that is always needed in this task, starting from time regulation position.

It looked clean, but a bit dry of oil... I put a bit of Moebius ones where I could (didn't want to service it for now).

At the beginning I thought that the bezel has to be removed to extract it from the case, but luckily the case back removal is enough.

Now some pic.

Before and after regulation:

b4ae28cca8ed5d7ca8ea4709b53ecf99.jpg

a026b08e23c1b5e2cccc8c10489839f9.jpg

1face653d7e1f1729e0e984aba1463d9.jpg

36bcc411c203de0a00410efdb3073481.jpg

77041fdcdad885a72c2a95e718733d7f.jpg

1c9defb3c6edd607da91f8c6581c00f2.jpg

A couple of pics of the movement and hands alignment after the repositioning.

91bbf44ad2b4262a5de41a9fa5e1b6d2.jpg

ae016b9aa4d1abda621daa409642b101.jpg

4a2e6d1ab05550cc04bc59895c61427c.jpg

Cheers, GenTLe

Could play with amplitude little bit, try set at least for 300*

GenTLe

Could play with amplitude little bit, try set at least for 300*

Amplitude is influenced by the force that reach the balance and by the balance pivot friction (other than the shape and force of hairspring).

So a part a service how would you increase it? :)

gravedigger

By manipulating a hairspring, it has to be exact in the middle of the "buckle"

17e5fbae06e390cf58b919dfe088c29a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk