Sign in to follow this  
SirDomino

So how do you "cope" with wearing a fake watch?

SirDomino

I am curious, as many here have amazing, high quality replicas of extremely expensive watches. I am wondering how one copes with the fact that they are wearing a watch, that many may think is genuine, and the reaction it elicits.

The biggest issue I wonder is if you are working a lower wage job, and you are wearing a $25k or $50k watch, how do you justify it without just saying it is a fake? Would it affect one's job (as folks will assume you get paid way too much)? Or perhaps even call undo attention unto you as coworkers suspect something "illicit" may be going on?

How do you address their questioning? Do you just "make up" a story about how one came about the watch (Uncle Bob Gifted it) and stick with it? or do you perhaps just say it is gen and you bought it and you are just really horrible with managing money? or just leave it as a mystery?

This is not so much as the typical "How do ya respond when asked?" thread, but more that I am interested in how various members cope with living the "replica watch" lifestyle...

Edited by sirdomino

greg_r

Provided you don't flash it around, likelihood is that nobody will notice anyhow.

I guess if you're a janitor and wearing a Rolex presidential, somebody might think it's odd, but then they'll probably realise you're wearing a fake anyhow...

Personally I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. I buy reps for my own pleasure - not for others to notice and comment on.

Slim
I am interested in how various members cope with living the "replica watch" life...

I don't really think of it as a lifestyle :lol:

If I was asked, I'd just say it was a replica. It's unlikely, though. If the idea bothers you, perhaps look at less obvious brand replicas - IWC or Patek, maybe.

Silverspeed

Yep.....hardly anyone will notice it anyway, besides if someone does notice it...so what...?

I buy whatever rep I like....couldn't care less what the gen version costs

bme

In my opinion you will only encounter this problem when wearing a Rolex. Although most people think that the real ones are fake!

Get yourself a TAG........most affordable decent brand.

Akira

Non of their fucking business...

Who says you can't afford a $5k watch just because you don't earn that kind of money?

d1isthe1

I usually wear what my friends know that i'm capable of buying, exception is the DSSD(the only rep i own) which is a shade high for my pocket(i can buy a gen if i was not a spendthrift). I have not laid my hands on ROO, Corum Admirals Cup or the HBB for the very same reason that i do not belong to that bracket YET.

Drhulee

I'm "coping" quite well, thank-you :lol:

Funny thing is, I used to always get asked if my watch was a rep, when I used to wear gens. Now that I'm almost exclusively wearing reps (Panerai) I just get questions or compliments on the brand, never "is it a rep?" ... go figure.

Or4n6e

Personally i buy rep watches for me not for anybody else's opinion, but if anyone ever notices my watch i always admit that its a rep.

mspangl

i havent been asked once tbh :lol:

dno.. just dont show off// in fact 99.98 % dont really care// and youll be safe

DeepDiver73

to be honest not that many folk pay much attention to what brand of watch you are wearing... having said that rep or not a nice watch is still a nice watch.... and you can always pass off wearing a rep as a test run before you dropping a small fortune on your favorite watch.

Dendo
Provided you don't flash it around, likelihood is that nobody will notice anyhow.

I guess if you're a janitor and wearing a Rolex presidential, somebody might think it's odd, but then they'll probably realise you're wearing a fake anyhow...

Personally I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. I buy reps for my own pleasure - not for others to notice and comment on.

+ 1 - exactly

@sirdomino - this question comes up a lot and if you delve into the archives you will find lots of responses to this.

Harry_Worth
In my opinion you will only encounter this problem when wearing a Rolex. Although most people think that the real ones are fake!

Got it in one! - everyone always used to think my gen Sub was a rep - Now it's so battered no one ever asks! Tend to wear a Bell and Ross from Lay as my everyday watch. No one knows what it is so no questions. Shame Tudors seem so hard to come by - I'd bet everyone would think they were gen in the same way every Rolex is a rep! - Steer clear of 'big bling' and Rolex and no one will ever ask.

d1isthe1
to be honest not that many folk pay much attention to what brand of watch you are wearing... having said that rep or not a nice watch is still a nice watch.... and you can always pass off wearing a rep as a test run before you dropping a small fortune on your favorite watch.

+1

Or4n6e

Well said :lol:

Huds

Yep I`ve a Genuine Tag and in the last 3yrs I`ve only been asked once if it was real and that was the day I got it on my 30th (off my wife) and someone asked what I got and when I showed them and they asked then ? Since then no one has asked at all.

I`ve just bought a rep tag and I doubt anyone will comment on that either.

Not sure what I`ll go for next but I expect an Omega and no one will comment on that either I expect but I also want a Rolex and I guarantee someone will say something as they will reconise it :lol:

Edited by Huds

Rav747

I would like to echo what a few have already stated. That is, when i owned gens, people thought they were fakes right away. I sold two of my gens due to hard times and i just sold my last gen last week.

Watch collecting , for the most part, was a hobby of mine and the fact that a few brands linked it to another passion(flying), i was hooked.

If anyone asks, i say its a rep with no problem. If you dont care its a rep, chances are, others wont even notice. If you make it obvious, it will get the attention- good or bad..

Rep collecting people also are a pretty close knit family(like the ones here) and at times, makes excellent convo among other rep collectors.

Quick story- went to a friends wedding in Toronto and i noticed a couple of guys wearing a Pam111 and a Pam 183 and when they noticed my watched, one came over and said, "nice watch" and i complemented back and before you know it, we were sitting down talking about the movements, other collections, wish-list watches, forums we go to, dealers we buy which watch from and why.. so and and so forth.

FreezerBurn

I deal in half truths, If they question if I'm blowing more money than I should I'll say something along the lines of my real investments in silver and how I wouldn't put myself in a bad financial situation over a watch. My Jaeger-le Coultre Tourbillion got a whole floor talking once. One french guy noticed the watch and wanted a closer look, then he was like JAEGER-LE COULTRE! That watch is like a mortgage sir, then I said yeah it's a nice watch eh? I never said how much it cost, but once in a while someone grabs my arm to eyeball it. I don't let them get too close though...

rychastings

+ 1 - exactly

@sirdomino - this question comes up a lot and if you delve into the archives you will find lots of responses to this.

+1

Del

This comes up a lot. If you want to kid people on that your reps are gens then that's up to you. But what if someone really knows their gens and calls your bluff? You going to continue the lie?

I think it's pretty cool when people think my reps are gens but only from the point of view that it's a compliment to the rep. I have too big a collection for my work colleagues and friends to think they are all gens! Other folk I see occasionally in business wouldn't ask - why would they, it's fucking rude! Some have complimented my PAM111 in particular and I was quite chuffed but I didn't go out my way to tell them it was a rep. If they'd asked then I would've told them because I really don't care - I love my rep collection and enjoy wearing them for my own pleasure :notworthy:.

Plus, as others have said, the vast majority of folk won't notice or, if they do, won't make a comment in any case :Whistle:.

solkryssare

The few times Ive been asked, Ive said its a rep. Have gotten nothing but good reactions to it as well.

djprone

No-one even notices my Breitlings - which along with Rolex and Omega are probably the only brands 'normal' people recognise. In fact i used to get loads more comments about my cheapie Police quartz watch - it was big and interesting. If people do ask me about my reps i would tell them the truth - a watch should not be a lame status symbol, especially when that status is false, watches should be worn because you enjoy wearing them.

jake
I usually wear what my friends know that i'm capable of buying, exception is the DSSD(the only rep i own) which is a shade high for my pocket(i can buy a gen if i was not a spendthrift). I have not laid my hands on ROO, Corum Admirals Cup or the HBB for the very same reason that i do not belong to that bracket YET.

I just got my first few reps, so I don't have any experience with this yet, but I'm in the same boat as this post... only getting what I could actually afford if I wanted to lay out the cash. I had bought my gen Tag when I got my first "real," decent-paying job, and I had a series of other purchases lined up for future milestones. Then I lost the Tag at my bachelor party and in deciding how to cope, made a decision to shy away from the possibility of taking that kind of hit again - at least in the foreseeable future.

If anybody asks, I'll tell them what my occasion for buying the gen for would have been, and then explain that in addition to that accomplishment, I was also smart enough to save thousands of dollars by NOT buying it...

JohnG

Anyone who tries to make people believe that their rep is a gen is a liar. If you can't handle telling someone the watch is a counterfeit I would suggest not wearing it. Or lie. I don't care, the person you are telling probably doesn't either, it is only your own soul that is at stake.

I tell people my fakes are fakes BECAUSE they are fakes - that is what is cool about them. For 5K any fool can make a fucking awesome watch, but to make a really good counterfeit of of a 5k watch for a hundred or two hundred bucks, that is an accomplishment worthy of mention. That is art. Don't be ashamed of it.

Akira
Anyone who tries to make people believe that their rep is a gen is a liar. If you can't handle telling someone the watch is a counterfeit I would suggest not wearing it. Or lie. I don't care, the person you are telling probably doesn't either, it is only your own sould that is at stake.

I tell people my fakes are fakes BECAUSE they are fakes - that is what is cool about them. For 5K any fool can make a fucking awesome watch, but to make a really good counterfeit of of a 5k watch for a hundred or two hundred bucks, that is an accomplishment worthy of mention. That is art. Don't be ashamed of it.

:(

Go buy homages only then....

What's art about making a counterfeid good of less quality for a smaller price???

What kind of definition of art is this?

Everyone in this forum buys counterfeid watches for the reason the like the design/look of that particular watch or brand.

Second reason is enjoying other people may think they wear a gen.

I tell everyone close I buy reps, but I also know most people not knowing me, who check out my wrist think it's

a gen....and why shouldn't they?

My job says nothing about my bank account. People often forget that.