Sign in to follow this  
SirDomino

So how do you "cope" with wearing a fake watch?

JohnG
Go buy homages only then....

What's art about making a counterfeid good of less quality for a smaller price???

Less quality, a little maybe. But there is no fucking way that a gen Rolex is $4,750 BETTER than a $250 rep from Mary.

NO FUCKING WAY

So yeah, a nice rep is much more of a piece of art than the gen, no doubt about it.

Cynikal.Mindset

drug dealer and pimp...then again nobody notices them...people do seem to like my Timex though...go figure!

this is the timex I usually wear on a daily

timexetide.jpg

tide clock, compass, thermometer, date and obviously watch

not my pic btw

Aren

I agree with Greg and Akira's first comments.

Half truths are fine too if you are comfortable with them, because

it is really no ones business.

Since that may not be helpful to you...

If you are not comfortable, and can't tell someone it is none of their business

and feel you need an excuse and want to

deflect what are inappropriate questions to begin with...

I suggest that you ask your Mum or

your sister or whoever to give it to you as a gift.

If anyone asks, you can say with honesty "It was a gift from my Mum."

Do you think anyone will question any further after you say that?

Member X

If they start going on about it being fake, they are clearly a douchebag who judges others by what toys they have rather than take them for the person they are!

narikaa

The degree to which this matter upsets you

is in direct proportion as to how shallow and insecure you are

3xrock

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people wouldn't know a high end watch from a timex. The only brand really, really known is Rolex. I bet you could wear a U Boat, Breitling, Bell & Ross and people wouldn't have a clue. I know my circle of friends and co workers and they don't know shit about watches. If I did show up with a Rolex it wouldn't be that big a deal as in my particular line of work guys make good money. It wouldn't look out of place. If you're concerned about being called on it, scope out your circle of friends first, see what they're wearing. Just my humble opinion of course.

Member X

Wise words :rofl:

Almost sig-worthy material! :)

rychastings

XHFo5.gif

Bravo sir, Bravo.

ebzen02

I was at my brother-in-laws house with a couple of family friends. The topic of rep watches came up when talking about rolexes and watches in general. I admitted that my Pam 212v1( totally incorrect with a ton of flaws) was a rep. They said that it couldn't be because they didn't think I would were a rep. Lol! Nuffield said..

ekho

I wore my rep to work a few days after receiving it form Mary. A coworker saw it and got up close to my wrist to admire it while I was working away. Weird, I know. But I wondered for a second what to say if the question came up. It's a bit of a weird situation 'cause he had the same model but in different color trim and I wasn't sure if he had a rep or gen. He mentioned as a joke "is that an asian special". I replied yes, and he thought I was joking. Then we compared our watches side by side, his gen to my rep.

And after checking them out, he said "clearly, I paid too much for mine."

Luthier
I am interested in how various members cope with living the "replica watch" life...

I don't really think of it as a lifestyle :suicide:

If I was asked, I'd just say it was a replica. It's unlikely, though. If the idea bothers you, perhaps look at less obvious brand replicas - IWC or Patek, maybe.

I can imagine an office clerk with Patek on his wrist...

:rofl:

ebzen02
I wore my rep to work a few days after receiving it form Mary. A coworker saw it and got up close to my wrist to admire it while I was working away. Weird, I know. But I wondered for a second what to say if the question came up. It's a bit of a weird situation 'cause he had the same model but in different color trim and I wasn't sure if he had a rep or gen. He mentioned as a joke "is that an asian special". I replied yes, and he thought I was joking. Then we compared our watches side by side, his gen to my rep.

Classic!

Oh..what did you get?

ekho

Classic!

Oh..what did you get?

It's Tag Carrera Chronograph.

I also showed the watch to my friends. Again, they thought it was real until I told them it was not. As a result, Mary will be receiving a few more emails.

zivadavis

i have watch fever.....i have a lot of gens and all are worn daily in rotation until recently when i stumbled upon this great site which guided me towards nice reps of some models i already have and some models i didnt have.....my gens include three great vintage gen rolexes handed down to me by family members, one gen rolex SD i bought off a buddy who needed $ badly for the next latest and greatest watch wonder of the micro second, several gen breitlings and omegas my dad handed down to me or gave me as presents, and three gen panerais i picked up here and there when buddies were liquidating their collections for other projects....thats doesnt include the luminoxes, casios, bathys, gmt fortis and a dozen other assorted watches in my "collection".....i am not a collector....i am a watch wearer and have a love/passion for time pieces....i use a watch as a tool daily to measure heart rates and breathing rates at work....

since i found this place a few months ago i have picked up a half dozen or so rep panerais and homage panerais of all styles and levels of quality and have worn them ever since.....still have all my gens in the safe but for now i wear my reps to work and most of the time no one pays attention as i wear a different watch everyday and rotate thru the herd to have a bit of variety......

no one has ever asked until the other day when this one neurosurgeon who was wearing a gen 42mm rose gold gmt radiomir with alarm function on a deployant brown croc oem strap (he bought 2 of these when he went to the panerai boutique in nyc last spring) grabbed my wrist and looked at my pam177L that is on a very cool distressed/vintage looking italian handmade strap i snagged in a post christmas sale for a song......he asked to examine the watch and i handed him the piece....he looked it over for several minutes and he asked "made in taiwan?....i mean made in titanium?"

i looked him in the eye and said point blankly "yes its titanium and no it wasnt made in taiwan, dumbass....the head was made in mainland china and the strap you are drooling over was made in italy....i replaced the rubber strap with a nice leather one".....he grinned ear to ear and laughed loudly and just nodded and kept examining the watch and tried it on......he kept nodding.....then he said "so what did this run.....$5K?".....i said "no it ran $238 including shipping".......we went back and forth a few times and he just would not believe me until i took him to the website (trusted dealer here) where i ordered it and his jaw just dropped

he said "i paid $11,000 each for the radiomirs i have and you got this for $238 delivered.....i have GOT to get one of these and my opinion of reps just changed.....thanks for the heads up".....the rest of the work day was interrupted frequently by other docs wanting to see the "super rep" and wanted website addys where they could get decent reps

i have zero problem wearing my reps or gens....for now its reps daily in the edc rotation....even if the doc who was wearing the high end radiomir didnt like my rep or made fun of it i would still wear the reps.......lots of people just stop me daily t see what watch i am wearing and check it out....unless someone asks whether gen or rep i just let them check out the piece and move on

Slim
I can imagine an office clerk with Patek on his wrist...

The point is that most people won't even notice a Patek, in the way that they might notice a Rolex. Indeed, I'd guess that most people could closely examine a genuine Patek, and still assume that a Rolex would be dramatically more expensive.

andygt

I was going to have counselling to cope with the ordeal of wearing fake watches but then I remembered I wasn't American.

GC

99% of people don't care what watch you wear...

I really wouldn't give it a second thought.

But if the 1% that notice your watch ask if it's real or fake, tell them the truth.

Again, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Brightlight

:rofl: @andy!

I don't understand the question "How do you cope...". Cope? What's to cope? Any of my good friends ask, and very few have, I will tell them. In cases where they ask if it is a 'fake' I take it off and hand it to them and ask what they think. Every single one has apologised after studying the watch, but then I tell them anyway. Anyone else admires the watch I say thank you. No-one who is not a good friend has ever asked if my watch is 'fake' despite the fact I usually wear a Rolex (I think this thing about everyone assuming Rolex are fake is overdone, particularly in Europe). Thing is I could wear a gen if I wanted to, my age, status and the fact I have my own business makes that quite natural. That I don't is a matter of choice coupled with being a mean Scot who thinks coughing up thousands for a watch is crazy.

djprone
I was going to have counselling to cope with the ordeal of wearing fake watches but then I remembered I wasn't American.

hahaha so true haha

djprone
being a mean Scot who thinks coughing up thousands for a watch is crazy.

hahaha

Does being a mean scot also make you think coughing up £10 for a good meal is a little crazy too? :gayvikingmusic:

chum_2000_uk

I personally have trouble sleeping at night.

Not because I'm wearing a fake watch though.... its the fucking neighbours, they are clunts.

I just tell everyone it is real, and if they ask me how can I afford it I tell them I won shed loads of money playing poker. If anyone ever calls me out on one I will have to think of a place to hide their body.

bme

I also have trouble sleeping at night. That prick in Cell 43 cries for his mum all night.

I agree that most people dont ask. I had one prisoner ask before Christmas and now he wears a Lay DSSD.

BTW Andy you crack me up.

Aren

:sofa: @ Andy

No one would ask my son if his watch was gen.

He is confident, very self assured and can pull off any apparel

or accessory without a second thought.

He often wears a shirt and tie, even in casual dress and jeans.

I told him to be sure to tell everyone interested in his Milgauss that it is a rep.

I don't want him to be a target.

His wrist looks better with his hand attached to it than anything else.

Unfortunately, since he told everyone it is a rep, if they look at it

and examine it...they think he is joking.

One of his good friends is here on the forum, and knows the Milgauss is a rep.

Probably another rep addict in the making.

hmm...I should find out his forum name.

DeepDiver73
drug dealer and pimp...then again nobody notices them...people do seem to like my Timex though...go figure!

this is the timex I usually wear on a daily

timexetide.jpg

tide clock, compass, thermometer, date and obviously watch

not my pic btw

did you borrow that off the bridge of the Enterprise????

Slim

hahaha so true haha

To be fair the last time I saw a thread like this, it was started by someone in the UK.