Sign in to follow this  
SirDomino

So how do you "cope" with wearing a fake watch?

djprone
I was going to have counselling to cope with the ordeal of wearing fake watches but then I remembered I wasn't American.

hahaha so true haha

To be fair the last time I saw a thread like this, it was started by someone in the UK.

they must have had an american grand parent

narikaa
drug dealer and pimp...then again nobody notices them...people do seem to like my Timex though...go figure!

this is the timex I usually wear on a daily

timexetide.jpg

tide clock, compass, thermometer, date and obviously watch

not my pic btw

did you borrow that off the bridge of the Enterprise????

Agree ...oh so digital and soul - less

Should go the traditional and classic route:

MadWatch.JPG

sfa437

I cope by throat punching those who question my watch.

Usually dissuades further questioning :(

pollux1

Cope? Sometimes I am reminded of the weight on my wrist but coping I reserve for lifes little challenges.

aargh
to be honest not that many folk pay much attention to what brand of watch you are wearing... having said that rep or not a nice watch is still a nice watch.... and you can always pass off wearing a rep as a test run before you dropping a small fortune on your favorite watch.

Actually almost every meeting I got to at work someone mentions nice watch. Hell i even had someone pass by my office one day and said nice watch. My family notices the watches I wear and so do friends.

But I have a decent collection of gens so they generally think they're all real. If they ask about the price and I'm wearing a rep, I usually tell them its a rep, there's no point lying and if its a gen, I tell them too. But people do notice.

trailboss99

@zivadavis

Great story man! Thanks for the laugh. Hell, if the cash was there I still have a rather long list I'd rather have in gen but FFS, unless it's disposable income what is the point? Looks like a few more "fake people" will be working in your hospital in a short while, well done!

Col.

stiltzkin

I don’t have one answer for this – it depends on who’s asking / making a comment. I have a couple of Gen watches, but now more reps than gens and I have acquired the reps in a fairly short period of time. So people who know me and also know watches are unlikely to even think I have spent $30k+ in the last 2 months on watches.

Friends/Family

Over Christmas this came up several times –

“Oh, nice watch, is it a new one?â€

“Yeah, [take it off and hand it to them] what do you think?â€

“Yeah, it’s really nice (or) ummm, no accounting for taste! – set you back a bit?â€

“I got a good deal on it……… $250â€

“WHAT?!?!??, so it’s a fake then? Really? It doesn’t look fake? Are you shitting me or are you using that story to avoid getting a bollocking from the wife?.......................................... Seriously it’s a fake?? Where did you get it, show me the siteâ€

Colleagues (close)

There are a few watchy types that I work with and over the past couple of months while feeding my newly acquired rep habit, I have received a couple of comments – it’s the same scenario as above. They at first do not believe that they are reps.

Colleagues (not close), acquaintances, customers etc…

“Is it real?â€

“Ummm, [shrug shoulders] I believe so, I’ve never given it a second thought before now, to be honest. This one was a present from a close friend shortly before they past away so means a great deal to me. [look deep in thought and slightly tearful]â€

Stranger in a bar

“Is it real?â€

“No, no… it is one of those new 3D, holographic tattoo’s you can get - look… [tap crystal]. Oh, no my mistake, it appears to be real after allâ€

histog

I personally had a very nice 2nd hand Gen PO but after months of not wearing it and worrying it got damaged or broken I thought Id look see if I could get a cheap copy to wear for general every day bashing and keep the gen for "best" as my friends new I had a real one and no questions would be ask ;)

Then I came across this site and after buying an almost identical rep from a trusted dealer decided to sell the gen as not one person spotted the diff between the 2 when I wore them and never got asked by anyone "is it a copy" but best of all I now have 3 really nice relatively cheap watches and dont give a toss about wearing them when Im out :AT:

Its about being happy not about being a designer prick :D

mickeypro

Where I live most people have heard of nothing but Rolex so that would be the only brand questioned.

NFleischer

I have a pretty nice collection of gens, but I have twice as many reps. I'm in my 50's -

so people don't question if I have a real watch. Most people around me know that I'm an avid collector of watches

I have no problem admitting a fake is a fake. In fact I'll show the gen and rep side by side to prove how good the reps can

be. Most are shocked to realize they can't tell the difference. They have in their minds the Canal Street fakes from 20 years

ago-we've come along way since then.

Member X
my gens include three great vintage gen rolexes handed down to me by family members, one gen rolex SD i bought off a buddy who needed $ badly for the next latest and greatest watch wonder of the micro second, several gen breitlings and omegas my dad handed down to me or gave me as presents, and three gen panerais i picked up here and there when buddies were liquidating their collections for other projects....thats doesnt include the luminoxes, casios, bathys, gmt fortis and a dozen other assorted watches in my "collection".....

since i found this place a few months ago i have picked up a half dozen or so rep panerais and homage panerais of all styles and levels of quality and have worn them ever since.....

:D

macdctr
I am curious, as many here have amazing, high quality replicas of extremely expensive watches. I am wondering how one copes with the fact that they are wearing a watch, that many may think is genuine, and the reaction it elicits.

The biggest issue I wonder is if you are working a lower wage job, and you are wearing a $25k or $50k watch, how do you justify it without just saying it is a fake? Would it affect one's job (as folks will assume you get paid way too much)? Or perhaps even call undo attention unto you as coworkers suspect something "illicit" may be going on?

How do you address their questioning? Do you just "make up" a story about how one came about the watch (Uncle Bob Gifted it) and stick with it? or do you perhaps just say it is gen and you bought it and you are just really horrible with managing money? or just leave it as a mystery?

This is not so much as the typical "How do ya respond when asked?" thread, but more that I am interested in how various members cope with living the "replica watch" lifestyle...

To me it's not a matter of coping with wearing a rep over a gen. I appreciate a very well constructed rep just as much as any gen watch. Sometimes a co-worker will ask me if they can check out my watch and I let them. They all think my DSSD is a gen even after I tell them it's a rep. I even show them the web site where I ordered my watch. As I look at it, it's up to them if they believe me or not. I didn't get my rep to impress anyone. I got it because I enjoy these watches and honestly don't see the need to spend thousands to get a gen, in this case a Rolex, when I can spend a fraction to get a very well quality rep instead.

It is amazing to see other people's reaction when you tell them that you are wearing a rep. A lot of reactions I seem to get from my friends seems that they are surprised that I'm wearing a rep even when I tell them this but some of them still tell me that it can't be because they cannot tell the difference. I leave it up to them to decide if I'm telling them the truth or not. Even when I show them where I got my rep from, ultimately it's up to them to believe...:)

The hard part I think is finding a good source to get a quality rep. If it wasn't for this web site I would still be searching. :D Here's a pic of my DSSD that I purchased from BK:

IMG_0123.jpg

Edited by macdctr

fragzzone

Pams are my weakness but where I live they are not known so I get a lot of interesting looks and many questions about the crown guard. I have a Rolex submariner but since the model is so common it is hard to notice or people might just think its just another from the bunch.

But still a few people have asked me if its a gen or not, I just throw a little history on the model and simply let them know I care more about what it represents than its value. If the question remains I ask back if it will matter at all if it were genuine or not? Not trying to avoid the question, people that know me know that I like the watch talk and I don't wear them to show off or impress anybody. Just the average fan!

Edited by fragzzone

zivadavis
@zivadavis

Great story man! Thanks for the laugh. Hell, if the cash was there I still have a rather long list I'd rather have in gen but FFS, unless it's disposable income what is the point? Looks like a few more "fake people" will be working in your hospital in a short while, well done!

Col.

well col you are very correct..... truth of the matter is several male nurse who work in the heart/lung transplant unit all went in on a fairly large group buy of watches for themselves and purses for their wives and are now sporting new reps including tags, omegas, rolexes, breugets, but interestingly enough no pams...word got to them via the anesthesia docs who were chatting with the neurosurgeon during a case in the OR...and as you may or may not be aware news travels like a wildfire in the hospital setting....now i have folks from all avenues in the hospital showing me their watches they just got....rounds take a bit longer but its much more enjoyable as i see live "wristies" multiple times per day...its like a live watch show

i have had quite a few inquiries regarding trusted dealers....i referred everyone to rwg and told them to read everythng they could for a few days/weeks, decide what they want and follow the rules/instructions exactly to the letter as how to conduct the transaction....most folks got together and went in on a group buy as they learned about discounts via volume buys but a few mavericks didnt listen and went with some site they found on google and didnt fare well...

the neurosurgeon i mentioned in my initial post in this thread stopped me 2 days ago and said he was bummed it was the cny as he wasnt able to get the pam177L he wanted from one of our trusted dealers until mid to late feb...i reassured him he would score eventually and be patient....i actually find it amusing as neurosurgeons via the nature of their chosen field expect and demand instant gratification in order to help and save patients and it spills over into their personal lives....they expect it ouside of the work arena

its a bit of joy in a perverse sort of way to watch a neurosurgeon squirm and twitch as he has to wait for the cny celebration to end in order to get his coveted pam 177L and he has absolutely zero control or influence over it....oh the simple things in life that make me quiver

zivadavis
my gens include three great vintage gen rolexes handed down to me by family members, one gen rolex SD i bought off a buddy who needed $ badly for the next latest and greatest watch wonder of the micro second, several gen breitlings and omegas my dad handed down to me or gave me as presents, and three gen panerais i picked up here and there when buddies were liquidating their collections for other projects....thats doesnt include the luminoxes, casios, bathys, gmt fortis and a dozen other assorted watches in my "collection".....

since i found this place a few months ago i have picked up a half dozen or so rep panerais and homage panerais of all styles and levels of quality and have worn them ever since.....

:ttiwwop:

memberX i will try to post some pics soon.......i KNEW someone would nail me on this>>>lol

be patient and i will get some pics posted soon

Member X

Cool :ttiwwop:

Pentax

Cope quiet well. As they suit my life style needs

Dragonscape

Cope? Whats to cope, buy a watch; wear a watch; sell said watch and buy another as taste/conditions/style changes.

Pentax

If you are wearing designer watches yes the styles change but if you are wearing solid brands then the style is the same for years

d1isthe1
Anyone who tries to make people believe that their rep is a gen is a liar. If you can't handle telling someone the watch is a counterfeit I would suggest not wearing it. Or lie. I don't care, the person you are telling probably doesn't either, it is only your own soul that is at stake.

I tell people my fakes are fakes BECAUSE they are fakes - that is what is cool about them. For 5K any fool can make a fucking awesome watch, but to make a really good counterfeit of of a 5k watch for a hundred or two hundred bucks, that is an accomplishment worthy of mention. That is art. Don't be ashamed of it.

I completely agree with you @JohnG, most of my experiences have been pleasant where my frnz also appreciate the rep when i tell them its a 'Fakey' and a good one which is kinda cool.... :thumbsup: Once i was asked by a guy if the dssd i was wearing(wrong '10') is a gen or not .. so i asked him to take a look at it and see for yourself weather its a gen or not... the guy didn't had a clue, admired the watch and handed it back :Whistle: .... I must admit that i do feel good, while wearing the rep as much as a gen coz its worth when you enjoy wearing it dosen't matter how much u've paid for it...

Edited by d1isthe1

Jay123

I disagree with some posts in this topic, i have only 1 rep and its a rolex datejust ii, and no one has ever asked me about it.., ive had a doctor or 2 look at it but ive never been questioned on it? maybe its because i live in the UK haha

jdoe

Seems to me that the best solution is to make more than enough dough to be able to buy the genuine article.

That way no questions will be asked about the origin of your watch.

Now back to work..... :lol:

Edited by jdoe

Takken

"my gens include three great vintage gen rolexes handed down to me by family members, one gen rolex SD i bought off a buddy who needed $ badly for the next latest and greatest watch wonder of the micro second, several gen breitlings and omegas my dad handed down to me or gave me as presents, and three gen panerais i picked up here and there when buddies were liquidating their collections for other projects....thats doesnt include the luminoxes, casios, bathys, gmt fortis and a dozen other assorted watches in my "collection".....

since i found this place a few months ago i have picked up a half dozen or so rep panerais and homage panerais of all styles and levels of quality and have worn them ever since...."

Ohhh my...

Edited by Takken

carlton

Only thing I won't wear out in public is a DSSD.

However, here in Norway it's a bit less taboo.

edwelly

Since I started this trend, I haven't been asked. If I am ever asked, I would say it is a rep. I bought a REALLY nice Ultimate PAM 196 and I am still floored by the quality of this watch. I have only worn it a few times as it just seem so nice that I need to baby it. Funny when you think about it...