Sign in to follow this  
SirDomino

So how do you "cope" with wearing a fake watch?

Eiderdaus
Go buy homages only then....

What's art about making a counterfeid good of less quality for a smaller price???

Less quality, a little maybe. But there is no fucking way that a gen Rolex is $4,750 BETTER than a $250 rep from Mary.

NO FUCKING WAY

So yeah, a nice rep is much more of a piece of art than the gen, no doubt about it.

do not agree, it s not a question of being better it´s a question of copying others ideas. and my thinking is, i feel better with a gen on my wrist when i know that watch costs much. maybe a rep can last 50years a swell, but would my grandchild say, hey grandpa gave my his rep.....

piece of art is the gen not the rep.

and i totally agree with akira, maybe not everybody is that honest to him self but the reason to buy reps is because one is fancy on a desgin of a make and for what that stands for. if someone tells or not, thats not the question, most of the people not interested in watches don´t even know the brand names of a real expensive watch. yeah rolex(but this is midprice) is known but most of the people would not be able to differentiate between a sub or an everose daytona so the mystic of prices comes from those rep guys that are telling everyone how much the gen costs.

what i don´t believe is that you can not disregard someones lifestyle. got nothing to do with the way someone is dressed, yes, guys with money do sometimes wear sporty clothes and look like fucked up but if you look closer, then you might find out that the clothes are not really fucked up even more that those leisure clothes are expensive as well. and if you see guys with tods leather bracelets and flipflops and crago pants, look closer and you see that it is an expensiv style as well , latest when this guy jumps in his suv or sportscar. and no doubt he can surely afford an AP or Hublot.

what i do believe is that guys like me, working in a good paid business could afford once a year a mid priced gen watch, but they have to think about if thats worth or if that money couldn´t be better invested in other things. i can tell that my bonus is enough for buying that midpriced gen, and done alredy so, but it hurts.

what i don´t belive, and there i am really honest is when guys here in the fora can not effort a rep for 300$ and have to wait 1 or 2 month that people with extended watch knowledge would believe that such a guy can afford a watch for 5k or even 25k. (don´t get wrong, that totally understandable and ok)

it doesn´t matter if you wear a suit or tie, H&M offers them for less than 100$ and you will see it. cheap shoes and so on. you will identify the guys. last time i saw someone standing in a mall selling cleaning stuff for glasses, not in a shop in the middle of the aisle asking everyone who is passing to get a free clean. he was wearing a gmtIIc and had a adidas jacket on and adidas shoes. i was realising that and got closer and he was talking to his female colleague and telling how much this watch costs and that it was an gift from his uncle and so on, and that he is always keen on wearing clothes from expensive brands (adidas...). i mean i was watching this guy 5-10 minutes and got that impression...yeah its a fake, and this kind of guy is that rep guy that buys reps to show off. then i realised, hey you buying reps as well, and you are always trying to get other rep stuff because you are tired of spending so much moiney for the real stuff of LV and so. you are not better, you are the same...only in a different way :( maybe more decent and maybe more extrem but the reason why i always look for the 1:1 stuff and the perfect rep is not that i am so curious if that can be produced....it´s all about not being caugth in an embarrassing moment and admit it´s a fake. therefore to formal and official business appointments i don´t wear a rep since these guys buy expensive watches themself, most of them might have no clue but maybe there are others same like me and maybe they are anal as me and they would find out.

i am feeling good with the knowledge that some people might know how expensive a watch can be and in my circle of acquaintances nobody would ever ask if this is a rep or not, it´s unpolite and everybody thinks what he wants. my closer friends know that i buy reps because i told them as i saw their faces sometimes and since that are my friends no need to lie.

i can cope very good with that because, yeah i like showing off a little sometimes and i like that collegues think that i spend more money on watches as i should :D but as Pentax said already: it fit´s my lifestyle pretty much and if i would win in the lottery i would not continue buying reps ;-)

havuscnmystplr

9/10 times if people even notice your watch they will just compliment you on it. Many people here are correct though...if you go around flashing it, you're asking for questions and its your choice to reveal its a rep or lie and say its genuine. I have a small collection of gen watches that I wear on special occasions and I'm currently purchasing replicas for all of them that I can wear more regularly without worrying about damage. The important thing is you wearing a watch that you like and getting that watch because you enjoy it, not to shove it in someones face as a gen because then you're just asking for trouble. :(

ZellerFTW
Only thing I won't wear out in public is a DSSD.

However, here in Norway it's a bit less taboo.

Why do you feel this way? I wear my DSSD almost daily...

rober100

I usually don't give explanations about my own business. If somebody started to inspect or touch my wrist, she'd better be a horny pretty girl because if not, I'll probably punch him on his fucking nose. :thumbsup:

Those people commenting on your life, telling what watch you can or can not wear, are nothing but poor lame motherfuckers. You'd better stay away from them.

tissotman

I only started buying replicas because i had a real rolex non date submariner for my 18th birthday , brand spanking new i had that watch well into my late 20s early 30s then got shown a fake version of it which was identical so after that i thought whats the point. I now buy watches i like and not for their names saying that i have just splashed oput nearly a £1,000 On a tissot prs 516 valjoux only because i could not find a rep of the watch i probably have about 100 watches and about 50 reps but many real ones as well , i will buy a real watch if i can afford it, if not a rep ive spent thousands on reps over the years not enough to buy one real rolex yet ive got over 20 replica rolex alone my first a seadweller is still going strong nearly 10 years on , so i guess its up to the idividual people know i have real watches so dont even ask me if its real or not and i dont tell them either.

pfcdre

:thumbsup:

I was going to have counselling to cope with the ordeal of wearing fake watches but then I remembered I wasn't American.

:D funny as fuck sorry i "cope"quite well as when you buy something gen or rep the idea is you like or love it, are pleased with it, and wear with pride not have some paranoid struggle with yourself that your trying to pretend to be someone other than yourself

myaz

In spite of the fact that Dendo correctly notes that this is a well worn subject repeatedly chronicled in the archives, I'm adding this because I've truly enjoyed the heck out of the diversity and depth of opinions the members are posting. Great minds at work.

@Akira who said "(if you are worried) go buy a homage". WOW. This is so telling because reps far outsell homages. Therefore, having the fake gen logo on the watch must mean something whether we admit it or not.

@Narikaa who said "The degree to which this matter upsets you is in direct proportion as to how shallow and insecure you are". :rofl: WOW. If this is you, Here's a wake up call for personal growth.

Too many other clever replies to acknowedge individually.

Like it or not, people do size you up the moment they meet you. Because their filters are different, it won't be what you think. So what's the image you want to project? Your thoughts and insecurities about yourself may mean nothing to others. Why did Heidi Montag have multiple cosmetic surgeries when she was hot before she started? Are you so important that others care that much?

If you want to impress someone with an Armani suit and a Versace tie and they can't tell you have ridiculously expensive taste because expensive things mean nothing to them and they go "Arma-who?", you've wasted your effort. If you want to show them you are not going to blow a fortune on a gen and sport a rep and they don't notice the watch, like 99% of people, then you have to wave your wrist in their face and risk having SFA throat punch you.

If you are like most of the rest of us and don't care what they think, you are likely reasonably functional (other than the addiction thing).

However,

1) Like BME says, some watches, namely Rolex are most likely to get a reaction if that's what you want.

2) If wearing a rep makes you self conscious, think now about what you want to answer if someone comments on your watch so you won't stutter on the spur of the moment.

The length of this reply makes me shallow and insecure, LOL.

dave47
Provided you don't flash it around, likelihood is that nobody will notice anyhow.

I guess if you're a janitor and wearing a Rolex presidential, somebody might think it's odd, but then they'll probably realise you're wearing a fake anyhow...

Personally I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. I buy reps for my own pleasure - not for others to notice and comment on.

+1. Nice answer & very appropriate, too!

dave

geniejc

Great Thread.

I love watches and frankly the world of reps gives me the opportunity to own as many as I want and not worry about bashing them up.

As many have said A couple of friends have noticed the watches and I`ve told them where they come from but they couldnt tell a Patek from a Swatch and frankly before I found this forum neither could I.

My ex boss was all about show, - watches, cars, lunches etc but it definately is part of my business world but it aint me really. I`m pretty sure now that his breitlings were reps.

My first rep was the Sky Moon Tourbillon from Reg and I was genuinely surprised at the quality and look compared to gen watches t the same price level.

My only experience of reps was years ago when frankly the construction was very poor.

This is a great forum love all the pictures and genuine pleasure rep collecting gives a lot of people.

Electrobrat

who cares? And to be honest who apart from your mates is going to look that closely at your watch and study it enough to realise it's a fake? Imagine you're sat in a pub having a nice meal, people may notice your watch from a distance and just think "wow he's wearing an ........." and they'll admire it.

The way I see it is this; if you've bought a rep and you're happy with the price you've paid, you enjoy wearing it who cares what other people think! Even if it's a crap copy it's the pride and pleasure you get from wearing it! Sod what other people think.

gran

Fake! It is a problem. Yes! but in the end I will probably end up with a genuine watch on my wrist

KeNnY

Today my colleague had a new watch. As an watch enthusiastic man, I have noticed it almost instantly. It looked as an Tag Heuer PVD coated on black rubber. So When I was near him, I asked him "Is that Tag Heuer?" he said "yes..." , and I "oo, can you show me?" he only flashed me his watch, I took his hand and give a deeper look and asked "It is real or replica?" He laughed that he don't have money for real one, then I looked again and it was 21J movement, the cheapest of the cheapest (wonder where he bought it, in canal street ? :)), then he was ashamed and didn't wanted to show me further :P I wonder why, that is normal, but he was shy and well end of story.. maybe he didn't scope very well with wearing a fake ... :D

Member X

I hope you are going to show him some of your reps and give him the address of this place :P :)

KeNnY
I hope you are going to show him some of your reps and give him the address of this place :D:)

hmm he don't know how to speak english, soooo frack him ... :P

Member X

lol

You better be on hand to translate then :P :)

Luthier
Fake! It is a problem. Yes! but in the end I will probably end up with a genuine watch on my wrist

YOUR problems are screaming.

:)

We don't have any.

jdoe
@Akira who said "(if you are worried) go buy a homage". WOW. This is so telling because reps far outsell homages. Therefore, having the fake gen logo on the watch must mean something whether we admit it or not.

I'm obviously out of place (not to mention close to a nervous breakdown), but I actually prefer to carry watches, clothes, etc that have no visible branding whatsoever.

If anyone wants me to take a job as a walking billboard, they better be willing to pay me!

ny093.jpg

Watch faces should be completely free of marketing material, if they want to stick their bloody logo somewhere they should do so where it is not seen. Ie on the back of the watch, inside the suit, etc

Damn them all, cause it is impossible to buy decent discreetly (un-)branded goods today, and I am too lazy to remove the shit. So I end up with that unpaid job anyway. :tease:

Edited by jdoe

myaz

I'm obviously out of place (not to mention close to a nervous breakdown), but I actually prefer to carry watches, clothes, etc that have no visible branding whatsoever.

I admire a man like that!

The millions and millions spent by all gen brands are wasted on you. Do you seriously want to put all those marketing people out of work? (I'm joking here)

I guess we won't see you sporting a Nike or other such brand tattoo :)

schmooze

I liked this thread, it's good to see other people perspectives. I was with my wife about to purchase a DSSD for my birthday last year, but the price tag really put me off. I was thinking about which motorbike I could buy for the same price, I tried to find a brand new replica Honda CB400 for everyday riding for about $350.00 to no avail. I ended up buying a brand new genuine Honda CB400 for the approximate cost of a genuine DSSD and then purchased a Rep DSSD. Win/Win situation. No one ever asks if either of them are gens or reps.

Seriously though, it's how you carry yourself, if someone ever asked if it was a rep i'd tell them the truth, what's wrong with a replica watch? would you be ashamed of driving a replica Shelby Cobra, Porsche 356, replica famous work of art, or as we say in the design industry, an "inspired by" product.

If your the sort of person that only ever wears one watch then you could easily pass one of the many beauties from the trusted dealers on RWG as gens.

if you're a tight assed multimillionaire you could pass off a different rep as a gen every day of the year.

I wonder though how much my genuine Honda CB400 will be worth in ten years time compared to a genuine DSSD?

Bad choice of present maybe?

Does anyone know of a replica bike forum??? :)

sacster

I have a gen Pierpont Incabloc circa 1960, Tissot Seastar PR516 1970, Citizen Quartz worn on a daily basis, reps are Rado (don't ask) Tag and Breitling.

I get asked the time on occasions.

Bosox
I can imagine an office clerk with Patek on his wrist...

The point is that most people won't even notice a Patek, in the way that they might notice a Rolex. Indeed, I'd guess that most people could closely examine a genuine Patek, and still assume that a Rolex would be dramatically more expensive.

I had just purchased a gen Ulysse Nardin in the Caribbean and was wearing it on the plane ride home. The young fellow next to me complimented it and pulls out a beautiful Daytona. My first thought ws "Wow, nice watch" but then I wondered, silently, whether it was a rep, not that it made any difference. Once in Istanbul where some pretty decent reps are sold in the bazaar, a woman commented "Every time I see a Rolex, I think it's a fake". Funny. Why spend the money if people are going to think it's a fake anyway. But I have spent the money because sometimes it is simply nice to own somethng special.

Cynikal.Mindset

Just hang around places where people assume its a GEN and wouldn't question you about it

histog

Before finding this site I had a Gen PO, All friends new it was gen and thought I was mad to spend so much on a watch lol

Now after they seen the couple of Rolex reps I have, the only question I get is

"why do I bother keeping the PO, why not sell it and get a rep, then I wont have to worry about damaging it"

then I tell them I did months ago, not one noticed and all thought it was good idea, dont know what the moral of the story is but I know

I wore a gen for years without getting quized by strangers and now wear reps and feel no different what so ever :)

Pentax
I disagree with some posts in this topic, i have only 1 rep and its a rolex datejust ii, and no one has ever asked me about it.., ive had a doctor or 2 look at it but ive never been questioned on it? maybe its because i live in the UK haha

Jay I think its because the Datejust 2 has not yet been Reped that well not meaning that your rep is bad its just that the Gen Shines from a Mile away and has a different Texture that immediately turns head

Slowlow
Seriously though, it's how you carry yourself, if someone ever asked if it was a rep i'd tell them the truth, what's wrong with a replica watch? would you be ashamed of driving a replica Shelby Cobra, Porsche 356, replica famous work of art, or as we say in the design industry, an "inspired by" product.

Yes I'd rather be shot in the knee caps than go near a fake car.

I can just about understand building a correct rep ford gt, but that's about it.

Any one with a fake 356 wants a real one but can't afford it, most are shocking copies and they take the tax disc out in an attempt to hide it's fake.

As for fake watches, a part of me died inside when I first thought about them. The only ones I'd come across were from looky looky men in Ibiza or the like. Bits of tin with half a name stuck on it.

Since finding this forum I have changed my mind, some of the work that goes into the reps is amazing. You can also wear them with less worry if you knock or scratch them.

My heart will always be with gens, but the reps are good fun and a good hobby.