Sign in to follow this  
SirDomino

So how do you "cope" with wearing a fake watch?

Foolish1

Interesting subject.

I traded a GEN Rolex for two REPS so what does that say about my attitude? I don't know. I had the Rolex for 10 years and I think most of my friends, family and coworkers assumed it to be a fake. I'm looking at a few more REPS to add to my collection with the funds I recvd. from the Rolex trade.

Then I'll be honest when show off how many gorgeous REPS I got for one GEN Rolex.

indystan

Food for thought, my two cents;

At this point in my life I can afford almost any watch I want.

I've had several gen watches over time when I could less afford them.

I think for well to do people, now days, it's more chic to brag about how much they saved rather than how much they spent.

I just ordered my first rep watch and I'm every bit as excited to get it as any gen I've owned.

I would have been happy if it had no brand or markings, I just like the looks.

Who wouldn't jump at the chance to but a BMW 7 series 99% the same as one from the BMW factory for $10,000.

I think the answer is...a fool.

powderfreak

It makes me horny, simple as it is :P

indystan

You're too kind :P

jdoe
I would have been happy if it had no brand or markings, I just like the looks.

Hear, hear!

Then there were two.

Now for my plug: Custom watch (requesting feedback)

Edited by jdoe

Spiker

I just bought my first rep, a DSSD from BK. I'm at a point where I could have easily afforded the gen (as a real luxury gift to myself) but my Scottish frugalness and ADD stopped me! I tend to get bored easily, so with the rep's you can load up and have the variety. Also, I would buy a gen Rolex no problem but I really dont wanty to pay the "status" portion of the bill. I can justify the cost of a gen from workmanship and parts, but the luxury premium put onm them is too high, atleast for me.

I couldnt afford to own a gen rolex, Tag, Omega, IWC and Breitling so this is the route to go!

Next up for me will be a Brietling Chronmat followed by an IWC Spitfire. This appears to be a very addictive hobby!

Edited by Spiker

Member X

Yep! If you can afford a gen DSSD, you should be able to build an awesome collection of reps :rofl::facepalm: and woe betide if you start getting into Frankens! :vomit:

credo325

If people know me, they know I have catalogues and catalogues of Watch Brands under my coffee table for starters, plus if they look at my Office Desk they will see two huge volumes called "Vintage Panerai" and "The Rolex Reference". I am a watch nerd, people know that. Because my passion is for timepieces, mostly the ones with history and design I love, people normally don't question it, they just assume I am adding something else to my addiction. Not only that, most people don't know what most of the models from the various brands look like, thats even they even know the brands, for example, hardly anyone I work with, am related too, or just know as a friend, had even heard of Panerai until they met me.

For the most part, I enjoy telling people that they are replicas and I go into detail about how they tell and what signs give it away, and what makes this a good rep or a bad rep. They know I cannot afford an $8000 watch, but I love the look and feel of them. Sometimes, the even get the bite for the replicas and want to join in the fun. I have no problem answering honestly if people ask, and I sleep fine if people give me a comment about it and I simply don't correct them. For me, it's not about pretending to be something you aren't. I love the brands and watches I wear and if I could afford a full gen collection, I would have one. I don't buy a repped Panerai to look rich and powerful, I have one because I love the design, detail, and history that comes with the brand. The same goes for my other reps.

Most of the people I know who have fakes are fake people, but the people who own replicas, are very real. For example, my boss at the moment wears a very fake looking Breitling and I asked if it was real to which he commented it was. Everything about it is wrong, for starters, Bentlys do not tick, nor are the brands made of cheap tin like metal, and the glass is made of sapphire not plex. Yet he carries himself like he is top shit, always boasting about something, showing off his latest purchase, and talking about how he was 'totally' being hit on and such. Me, not to say I am all that, I wear my watch because I love it and it suits me and who I am. If I get a comment, I thank them. If I get asked if it's real, I tell them its not. Done and dusted.

Its about homage and honour, not deception and deceit. It's a hobby that eats up a lot of our time, cross referencing to see what quality we can get our hands on, discussing the new models that are coming out both in the rep and gen world, its about being a part of a larger repping community.

Rolexwatchman

Interesting subject.

I traded a GEN Rolex for two REPS so what does that say about my attitude? I don't know. I had the Rolex for 10 years and I think most of my friends, family and coworkers assumed it to be a fake. I'm looking at a few more REPS to add to my collection with the funds I recvd. from the Rolex trade.

Then I'll be honest when show off how many gorgeous REPS I got for one GEN Rolex.

All Rolex are fakes/replicas :D

it will be the first thing people will say... most of the time...

sokool

If people know me, they know I have catalogues and catalogues of Watch Brands under my coffee table for starters, plus if they look at my Office Desk they will see two huge volumes called "Vintage Panerai" and "The Rolex Reference". I am a watch nerd, people know that. Because my passion is for timepieces, mostly the ones with history and design I love, people normally don't question it, they just assume I am adding something else to my addiction. Not only that, most people don't know what most of the models from the various brands look like, thats even they even know the brands, for example, hardly anyone I work with, am related too, or just know as a friend, had even heard of Panerai until they met me.

For the most part, I enjoy telling people that they are replicas and I go into detail about how they tell and what signs give it away, and what makes this a good rep or a bad rep. They know I cannot afford an $8000 watch, but I love the look and feel of them. Sometimes, the even get the bite for the replicas and want to join in the fun. I have no problem answering honestly if people ask, and I sleep fine if people give me a comment about it and I simply don't correct them. For me, it's not about pretending to be something you aren't. I love the brands and watches I wear and if I could afford a full gen collection, I would have one. I don't buy a repped Panerai to look rich and powerful, I have one because I love the design, detail, and history that comes with the brand. The same goes for my other reps.

Most of the people I know who have fakes are fake people, but the people who own replicas, are very real. For example, my boss at the moment wears a very fake looking Breitling and I asked if it was real to which he commented it was. Everything about it is wrong, for starters, Bentlys do not tick, nor are the brands made of cheap tin like metal, and the glass is made of sapphire not plex. Yet he carries himself like he is top shit, always boasting about something, showing off his latest purchase, and talking about how he was 'totally' being hit on and such. Me, not to say I am all that, I wear my watch because I love it and it suits me and who I am. If I get a comment, I thank them. If I get asked if it's real, I tell them its not. Done and dusted.

Its about homage and honour, not deception and deceit. It's a hobby that eats up a lot of our time, cross referencing to see what quality we can get our hands on, discussing the new models that are coming out both in the rep and gen world, its about being a part of a larger repping community.

+ 1 right to the point :giggle:

Edited by sokool

ads-1991

+ 1 right to the point :giggle:

+1000000 :)

bgreg

How much do you have to earn to own a real Rolex...can a frugal man who earns 40k save up for a Rolie and not be called out...how about a a guy earning 100k but up to his eyeballs in debt.....who would more likely be able to own a gen Rolex and not be called out. I'm talking about a 6-12k Rolex. Neither can really afford to buy it but either one can sacrifice and buy it. So the question is how much do you have to earn to be able to afford a gen Rolex and not get asked is it a rep.

Realism

whoaaaaaaaaaaaa holy moly zombie resurrection

markeym3

Provided you don't flash it around, likelihood is that nobody will notice anyhow.

I guess if you're a janitor and wearing a Rolex presidential, somebody might think it's odd, but then they'll probably realise you're wearing a fake anyhow...

Personally I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. I buy reps for my own pleasure - not for others to notice and comment on.

+1 just wear what you like ....

TheInthusiest

Shhhhh... go back to sleep young grasshopper.

greg_r
NecroBumpBatman.jpg

Steve227

Top marks for reading every post on the forum!

Libertatia

Close people know its a rep. Family, friends, my pets, on top its a good conversation topic. But when out and about in the wild, I act like its nothing. When a co-worker asked me a few weeks ago, ''is it fake?'', I just ask him ''why do you think that for?''. I am happily, and unashamedly willing to tell anyone its fake, but only if they are worthy of spotting how its a fake. If they tell me, ''yeah there's no space between off cert'', then bravo they win, I tell. However he couldn't give an explanation to his accusation, so in my books he didn't deserve to know its a fake, and he shall never know - probably thinks its gen tbh :)

RichardMiami

my shrink says not to worry about coping with this.

He did advise me to give up chain saws and pitchforks for a while, although he does say that I can keep my teddy bear. :)

diggs

I typically only wear reps of gens I could afford to buy if I was inclined to. Not because I want to fool people as most of the general public knows what brand I'm wearing anyway but because I don't think I could stick to 1 or 2 gens and be satisfied. Although I keep my collection to 5 or less watches I love the variety of them and being able to to flip them for something else I want to try without losing $1000-2000. No one has ever called me out regardless of what they may or may not be thinking and as a previous member posted most people that know me well know my love of watches and the mechanics behind them it's not just about the brand.

Edited by diggs

diggs

A friend of mine is a mechanic and recently bought himself a gen superocean avenger (against my advice). He insisted he wanted new and in my opinion he overpaid. Because of his profession he has no real opportunity to wear this piece he paid tousands of dollars for and it will become a box queen because he's afraid to wear it (instead he wears a diesel). To me that's such a waste which is why I love my reps. I work with senior level people and can enjoy my reps everyday without worrying about damaging them or getting stolen or anything like that ... i just bought an Aquaracer 500m on rubber (rep) because i wanted something casual and light to wear to the gym! I love watches and couldnt imagine having 1 gen that I was too afraid to wear or didnt have occasions to wear it. That's the other thing I think reps give me the opportunity to have something for all occassions.

Edited by diggs

Realism

Shhhhh... go back to sleep young grasshopper.

look... never mind...

kids