Sign in to follow this  
d1isthe1

How to repair a scratched mineral glass

d1isthe1

Guys it was an unpleasant incident today my hand collided with another person's watch and that too with a bang. later i discovered that there is this scratch on the face of my dssd... can this scratch be buffed off or somthin ? sometime early this month i read about a diamond paste but not able to find the thread where it was mentioned. Help needed.

D1

Akira

Why would you wanna "remove" a scratch?

You need to add more to make it look vintage.

Vintage watches are expensive :lol:

SirDomino

I thought the DSSDs came with Sapphire glass?

d1isthe1

Vintage watches are expensive :lol:

i don't like scratches on any of my belongings... may it be watches,cars,Shades besides a gen DSSD has a sapphire which is almost scratch proof... and yes vintage watches are expensive are you ready to give me a $1000 for my vintage watch :)

d1isthe1
I thought the DSSDs came with Sapphire glass?

this DSSD i bought fom Bangkok and has a mineral (or maybe even a plexi) on it and gets scratched very easily ... for this very reason i have ordered another dssd thru BK which shud be arriving in a fortnight... then i'm gonna get this mineral replaced by a sapphire...

onzenuub

Vintage watches are expensive :)

i don't like scratches on any of my belongings... may it be watches,cars,Shades besides a gen DSSD has a sapphire which is almost scratch proof... and yes vintage watches are expensive are you ready to give me a $1000 for my vintage watch :)

If the avatar is you, all your belongings are belong to me. :lol:

http://horologyzone.com/watch/watch-school...ch-crystal.html

greg_r

toothpaste usually works for me provided the scratch is fairly light.

d1isthe1

Just tried the toothpaste but no good... :notworthy: ... how much toothpase shud i use ?

will take a risk with brasso tomorrow..

onzenuub

Just tried the toothpaste but no good... :notworthy: ... how much toothpase shud i use ?

You need Greg's tooth paste!!!!!

greg_r

only a small amount. It works better on plexi, but I've managed to polish out a couple of minor marks on mineral glass that way too. Depends on the nature of the scratch, though - if it's a reasonably heavy scratch then you may need to use diamond paste. See how you go with brasso first...

Slim

It's not really a risk as long as you don't let it get down the side of the crystal, in which case it might be hard to get out without running it under water, which you probably shouldn't try. It won't hurt the glass.

I once very much improved the appearance on a Rolex sapphire with Brasso or something similar (might have been duraglit, but Brasso would have worked as well or better). The scratch was still there but it was very hard to see. I think whether it will help depends on how bad the scratch is.

djprone

brasso will be fine on the glass. I used brasso every day on car windscreens when i clean them - i'm a car valeter btw

offshore

Brasso and toothpaste are pretty mild abrasives.

And only about the same on the scale of hardness as mineral glass.

You need something harder, like diamond paste.

Ask Col about the sapphire polishing kit made from diamond paste.

It will work on mineral as well as sapphire.

O/S

d1isthe1

The scratch can be felt with the nail... anyways operation scratch off will be carried out tonight.. the following are the items to be used

sandpaper no. 800

sandpaper no. 2000

masking tape

brasso

i will first try it on an old Rado watch my mom had and is a vintage now :lol: which has plexiglass. lets see wat comes out in the end of the experiment.

d1isthe1

The experiment failed ... the process was carried out by rubbing the plexi with the NO 800 sandpaper followed by the # 2000... the plexi had become milky by then .. applied the brasso on it but the plexi was unable to return to its clear finish.

offshore

The reason you are not getting anywhere, is that you are trying to cut out scratches with material softer, or the same hardness as the glass you are trying to cut.

Which is why a harder cutting compound will work better.

Here is an overview from our website.

Having reasonably confidently defined a mineral glass from a sapphire, a means to polish is needed.

Any number of mild abrasives can do this, ranging from ‘Flitz’ which can be obtained from gunshops, to a fine stainless steel polish, car windscreen polishes, and cerium oxide.

Cerium oxide is usually the best compound for polishing mineral glass. Glass has a hardness of slightly less than 6 in Moh's scale of hardness and will scratch most soft minerals. However, minerals with a hardness of 6 or more will easily scratch a piece of glass. Before you begin polishing a piece of glass you must first determine how deep the scratches are in the material. First run your fingernail across the item to be polished. If you can feel the scratch, it may be too deep to be polished out with cerium oxide and may require more aggressive grinding.

The grit size used to grind out a scratch always depends on the depth of the scratch to be polished. Starting with a fine 1,200 grit size would be best. However, this may be slow. If this is the case you can start with a coarser 600 grit then move to the 1,200 or a 3,000 grit to remove the scratches from the coarser grit size. You can now proceed to polish the glass with cerium oxide. Another great way to grind out the scratches from glass is to use a diamond powder with oil as a lubricant.

After each grinding, clean the area you have ground with alcohol before going to the next finer grit size. Each grit should be used on a clean polishing pad. An electric buffer or drill works best if the item is not too delicate. Mix cerium oxide with water to create a slurry. Apply the slurry to a felt buffing pad. Harder buffing pads made out of hard felt, or leather work best.

The polishing action will go faster when the cerium oxide is damp, but not dry or too runny. You can use a spray bottle with water to keep the area you are polishing damp. You can use 99.9% cerium oxide. However, it can be a bit more expensive than the 90% Optical grade which will work fine on most glass.

Moh's Hardness Scale

Hardness is measured on the Moh's Scale, identified numerically hardness of by standard minerals, from 1 (softest) to 10 (hardest):

1. Talc

2. Gypsum

3. Calcite

4. Fluorite

5. Apatite

6 .Orthoclase

7. Quartz

8. Topaz

9. Corundum

10. Diamond

A mineral of a given hardness will scratch other mineral of a lower number. With a systematic approach, you can use minerals of known hardness to determine the relative hardness of any other mineral.

Finally we look at Sapphire glass crystals, by far the hardest to scratch, but also the most difficult to polish.

Sapphire glass is a synthetic material with a very high hardness, (around 9 on Moh’s scale, as above.)

To polish it, we need a product harder than it, so here a diamond polishing paste is used. We have put together a kit of 2 grades of diamond paste, for this job. A 3.5 micron paste for the initial cut to remove deep scratches and a 0.5 micron paste, for the final polish.

You may need to polish a sapphire crystal for some time, using the 3.5micron (red)polish. (Up to 20-30 minutes to achieve a good result) Always check every few minutes, as to how the polishing is progressing, and once the crystal is free of scratches, apply a final polish using the 0.5 micron (rose) polish.

Now if you opt to use a diamond paste on a mineral crystal, you will find you can get to a better finish a lot quicker.

O/S

Aren

Ok dlist,

Since you are replacing the crystal anyway, I will share a trick I use.

I live fairly far from civilization.

I wear glasses. Sometimes they get scratched.

I fix them myself. Keep in mind that this is a temporary fix,

and I have only used it on eye glasses. Since what you need until

your new crystal arrives is a temporary fix, you may as well try it.

Take ordinary spray on furniture polish. The wax type.

Since the scratch is on your watch, I do not suggest you spray it on the watch,

but suggest you spray it on a soft cloth, not a napkin or paper towel.

Rub it across the scratch and allow it to dry.

Wipe if off and voila...scratch is gone.

The scratch will return when the polish wears off,

but you can try it to get you through until your new crystal arrives.

Good luck :wheredidthehostingmoneygo?:

All the Best,

Aren

tissotman

i found t cut is very good for this in small amounts folled by an auto glym polish to finsih.