Sign in to follow this  
Luthier

GZ WATCH MARKET IS DEAD.

Luthier

I just talked to another dealer, he said he's happy, that watch market is dead. Now everyone will buy from websites.

<_<

But what if today- watch market, and tomorrow- watch factories...?

But I don't think so. So many people will be without job. It will be serious riots.

greg_r
I just talked to another dealer, he said he's happy, that watch market is dead. Now everyone will buy from websites.

<_<

LOL - I always admire a guy with a positive outlook. :wub:

But I don't think so. So many people will be without job. It will be serious riots.

Yeah - it's worrying, but you're right: it seems more likely that this is for show - to prove to the west that China is a good country to do business with (which from a fiscal point of view it certainly is) and to impress a few powerful companies. Hopefully this will settle down again once they've got this month-long show of strength over and done with.

I'll see if I can get hold of my friends who are over there right now - it would be interesting to see if they've been affected by this (bearing in mind that they bring back various rep goods for friends and family, but only in very small quantities - their real business out there is entirely legit).

Luthier

<_<

LOL - I always admire a guy with a positive outlook. :wub:

Yeah - it's worrying, but you're right: it seems more likely that this is for show - to prove to the west that China is a good country to do business with (which from a fiscal point of view it certainly is) and to impress a few powerful companies. Hopefully this will settle down again once they've got this month-long show of strength over and done with.

I'll see if I can get hold of my friends who are over there right now - it would be interesting to see if they've been affected by this (bearing in mind that they bring back various rep goods for friends and family, but only in very small quantities - their real business out there is entirely legit).

Ask them to visit watch market AFTER 6pm, when police leave building.

Mary said after 6pm some dealers still sell reps.

greg_r
Ask them to visit watch market AFTER 6pm, when police leave building.

Mary said after 6pm some dealers still sell reps.

Well, they don't visit the GZ watch market themselves as their business interests are mostly in Shenzhen - a few in Shanghai too. They've not told me much, but one of the guys they do business with (manufacturing) also has some sort of connection with the rep business. What sort of connection that might be I have no clue - could just be Ruby's brother, I guess :rofl::wub:

Anyhow, I'm just wondering how far these troubles have spread - just curiosity. A bonus could be that I may find out a little bit more about their contact ;)

Anyhow, I've just emailed them - will post anything I learn.

trailboss99

Agree. Too much money tied up in factories. Too many bribes as well.

My concern is that the small dealers are going to find things rather hard now. No more running downstairs to find watch. Whithout them I can see prices going up rapidly. The Jandrews of the rep world just saw their market share go up. Those without the buying power to buy direct have a problem.

Forign buyers are in the same boat. There being no central place to compare and deal.

There is also the small matter of the customs crack down. 300 grand shipments being siezed out of HK can not be good.

Col.

Luthier

Agree. Too much money tied up in factories. Too many bribes as well.

My concern is that the small dealers are going to find things rather hard now. No more running downstairs to find watch. Whithout them I can see prices going up rapidly. The Jandrews of the rep world just saw their market share go up. Those without the buying power to buy direct have a problem.

Forign buyers are in the same boat. There being no central place to compare and deal.

There is also the small matter of the customs crack down. 300 grand shipments being siezed out of HK can not be good.

Col.

Yeeeaaahhh... Not too good situation... I think GZ Custom will be much more strict now too. And it will affect even big dealers.

OK, I have an idea! Let's collect guitars from now!!!

Iabounty gave me an idea to post a few pictures of my firewood on OFF TOPIC. OK, no problem. Welcome there!!!

:wub:

alphakazi

Eurotimez FTW! :notworthy: only what he stocks

I'd be worried about ordering watches in the next while - my last order was from Werners - let's all get our next few from them - they have some real beauts - all legit ;)

trailboss99

Speaking of ET, I emailed Chris last night for info. Below is what he then posted on RWG2.

Ya it's bad out there, worst since a long long time, I personally (but could be wrong) it's coz of the new Obama in office policies. It doesn't really effect me, coz we don't need to buy from the local markets or the smaller dealers where they having the crackdown.... yes everybody gone in hiding and it does slow the shipping aspect but if you got the direct contacts (which we do) with most factories / suppliers it's not much of a problem... as those were always underground anyways... besides copy/china are one.

They can't do one without the other, so they show some "show" and crack down on the smaller dealers... and they get fined, already 20-30 that I know of are fined considerable ammounts 2000-4000 usd (which is ALOT in china), rounded up and no more reps in the markets "for now". However the factories, such as the "noobfactory" etc pay the police. My supplier in bkk is really close with them, and she tells me they pay them off BIG TIME... not always in money...

As long as copy makes money and gives job to chinese ppl it will always be, but that is just my 2 cents... it's hard to get rid of, and why?!? for the sake of western ppl/countries... (deep inside they don't really care, just pretence/politics) but I think alot of pressure is put on China in regards with USA at the moment... so they must make a show...

I'm staying in Thailand btw, so they can't get to us tongue.gif my co-workers are local and we usually never get from the markets anyways, always get our suppliers "behind closed doors" so to speak...

Col.

alphakazi

makes perfect sense

AllergyDoc

I suppose it's a lot like cocaine. There will be a supplier if there is a market.

greg_r

Interestingly, Hont is based in GZ but is carrying on as usual - according to something he posted to one of the other boards (I forget which - probably RG). He's just showing up later in the day than some of the others :)

tony

it is normal now ,there must be someone seized everyday now.

AllergyDoc

What do you mean?

Luthier

What do you mean?

He means police guys should report to their bosses, that they do good job, catching bad guys. (Bad guys = dealers, who don't pay police well enough).

tony

What do you mean?

He means police guys should report to their bosses, that they do good job, catching bad guys. (Bad guys = dealers, who don't pay police well enough).

hahaha ,right!!

greg_r

I've just had an email from my friends out in China. Their rep 'contact' says that things are difficult for those smaller dealers actually based in GZ, but that the factories are doing business as usual. Basically, exactly what we've been hearing from our own dealers. Fingers crossed that things will settle down once they've gotten this 'anti rep month' over with.

Luthier
I've just had an email from my friends out in China. Their rep 'contact' says that things are difficult for those smaller dealers actually based in GZ, but that the factories are doing business as usual. Basically, exactly what we've been hearing from our own dealers. Fingers crossed that things will settle down once they've gotten this 'anti rep month' over with.

Amen.

iabounty

Amen.

I just ordered 3 from HOS......... Fuck this anti rep month shit.........iwantmynewwatchesdamnit.......

Luthier

Amen.

I just ordered 3 from HOS......... Fuck this anti rep month shit.........iwantmynewwatchesdamnit.......

IA, HOS based in Malaysia, not China.

greg_r

Amen.

As Luthier says, ia - you needn't worry. Lawrence is a LONG way from that shit , so no worries - your watches should be with you in a couple of weeks :)

prestigewatchco

Shipments are comming out of GZ but seem to be a week late . We had a Shipment clear in Bangkok today which should have been here on Monday last but at least it's here now!!

prestigewatchco

sorry duplicate post

greg_r
Shipments are comming out of GZ but seem to be a week late . We had a Shipment clear in Bangkok today which should have been here on Monday last but at least it's here now!!

Cool - glad to hear it!