Sign in to follow this  
RolexAddict

REP WATERPROOFING

offshore
Question for Offshore:

How does acetone and plexi react? Seems like not a good combination.

@kbh,

Certainly if acetone is allowed to get on the plexi, it will cloud it.

So prevention is best where possible, and minimisation the next best.

However a quick polish will remove any fogging of the crystal.

Offshore

RolexAddict
Question for Offshore:

How does acetone and plexi react? Seems like not a good combination.

@kbh,

Certainly if acetone is allowed to get on the plexi, it will cloud it.

So prevention is best where possible, and minimisation the next best.

However a quick polish will remove any fogging of the crystal.

Offshore

I agree, the aceton tarnish the plexi, I noticed also the use of denatured alcool

offshore,

just don't say cristal, precise plexiglass material,

the use of aceton, trichloetylen or acid has no effects on the sapphire material

Just a precision:

It could depend of the chemical composition of plexies, I have used aceton to clean of glue on gen Rolex service plexies without fog effects

I usually buy Rolex aftermarket plexi from Ofrei (cheaper), and these present fogging even if alcool is applied

KBH,

about static pressure effect I admit you are right,

nevertheless, I have found this,

Le Paradoxe de l'Hydrostatique

On constate que la pression dans l'eau ne dépend que de la profondeur et pas de la direction. En effet, si l'on prend une petite boîte rigide ouverte d'un côté et que l'on tend une membrane élastique, cette boîte enfermant de l'air à pression atmosphérique, et que l'on plonge cette boîte dans l'eau, la déformation de la membrane permet de visualiser la différence de pression entre l'air et l'eau, et celle-ci ne dépend que de la profondeur, pas de l'orientation de la boîte ni de sa position dans le plan horizontal.

translation:

The Hydrostatic Forces Paradox

We observe, that the water pressure results only from the deep and not from the direction. For exemple,

if we take a little hard box, open on one side, and if we put a elastic piece to cover this surface, if this box contents ambiant atmospheric pressure inside, and if we submerge this box in water, the elastic piece allows to visualise the pressure difference between air and water, this one is depending only from the deep, not from the orientation nor from the position in a horizontal position.

To make short, it say the weight of water exerces only a vertical force on a complete immerged object.

We can make a possible confusion with Archimède principe and also the buoyancy (the ability to float or in more technical terms - the upward forces exerted by a fluid on a body in it).

We have to make the difference between a non complete immerged object -like a boat- and the comportemental consequences and physic rules - vertical and horizontal- of the fluid element, and, the exerced forces of a fluid on a immerged object.

http://physicslearning.colorado.edu/PIRA/P...asp?STopic=2B20

http://scubageek.com/articles/wwwparad.html

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~gerry/class/EAS36...ydrostatics.pdf

Where is the true ?

I don't know,

Edited by RolexAddict

KBH

We observe, that the water pressure results only from the deep and not from the direction.

Correct translation is "water pressure results only from the depth and not from the direction". This is what i have said.

At any given depth the measured pressure is the result of the amount of water weight above it, of course plus 1 atmosphere. That does not mean that the pressure is only applied from the top down. At that depth, the pressure is the same on all sides.

if we take a little hard box, open on one side, and if we put a elastic piece to cover this surface, if this box contents ambiant atmospheric pressure inside, and if we submerge this box in water, the elastic piece allows to visualise the pressure difference between air and water, this one is depending only from the deep, not from the orientation nor from the position in a horizontal position.

Here we are saying that if you put a box with elastic over one side, as the depth increases you will see the result in the elastic stretching inward. If you turn the box sideways or over, it will still look the same. The orientation or position will not change it.

Edited by KBH

RolexAddict

KBH,

o.k, I have edited the article and modified a pic and text

ImWatchingYOU

Has anyone had luck with waterproofing a watch also with a movement window on the back?

trailboss99

Yup, makes little or no difference.

Pushers are the hard one.

Col.

ImWatchingYOU

I was asking with the reason that my UN MAXI MARINE, has a gasket problem on the back (the rear glass did not go in fully from one corner) and when appliying pressure to it, the glass cracked ;)

The rear sightglass should be the same size on all watches I think?

maduro

Holy moses! Jesus! I have no words for the work this guy did.....................I would simply bow to you!