Sign in to follow this  
bananakid0

Why Seiko?

bananakid0

Pretty much all the watches discussed on RWG are either reps or Seiko... why Seiko? Why not Casio, swatch etc?

Mark

Robin195959

Cos they are good bang for your buck with an amazing range. A watch for everyone for every occasion.

andyboy

:daffy:

I presume you have checked out the 36 pages of threads on the other brands.

Seiko has it`s own sub forum because they are very popular both standard and modified.

BenjaminButton

Not really true.

But seiko is mentioned often because they make excellent watches especially mechanical watches. And they are great value.

GenTLe

And because they are (also) mechanical... Casio does only quartz, swatch because it produces (with brand "Swatch") unreparable stuff.

By the way swatch also own these other brands: Breguet, Harry Winston, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Jaquet Droz, Léon Hatot, Omega, Longines, Rado, Union Glashütte, Tissot, Balmain, Certina, Mido, Hamilton, Calvin Klein watches + jewelry, Flik Flak

Gazzla

Seiko are the fucking guv'nor. End of. Buy one and you'll see what we mean. :D

BenjaminButton

You heard the man. Buy one or else!

:)

Moondustesp

My mate at work mentioned he had one and would bring it so I could have a look at it. What a suprise. A lovely well put together watch with a real heft to it. The real suprise was when he told me it had been sitting at the bottom of a draw for the last 15 years untouched. He wears it regularly now, never serviced and keeps great time. ;)

Left Coast Guy

In the world of gen automatic watches, you pretty much have (1) the major luxury brands, (2) a bunch of knock-off style cottage brands, and (3) Seiko. Comparatively, the Seikos get you a watch with a quality of watch not far behind the luxury gens at a price point below the cottage brands....so the value you get from a good Seiko is pretty incredible.

RUSH2112

Not really true IMO. Many brands are discussed. Seiko does give you the best price to value ratio IMO. Also, quality

elp

'cause we're all sheep :D

seriously, just get one of their mechanical offerings and see for yourself. Great quality and value for money.

Gazzla

seriously, just get one of their mechanical offerings and see for yourself. Great quality and value for money.

Or a nice quartz chrono, or a kinectic diver, or high beat dress watch, or a GPS Astron, or, fuck it, a Grand Seiko.

Grand Seiko . . .

:drool:

elp

Or a nice quartz chrono, or a kinectic diver, or high beat dress watch, or a GPS Astron, or, fuck it, a Grand Seiko.

Grand Seiko . . .

:drool:

You on commission Gaz :lol:

Agreed re: Seiko lineup, love my Prospex as well as my mechanicals, still impressed that it's all developed in-house.

HeavyKrush

Seiko for something like this...

1c611543b11b806214f9429a748a901d.jpg

Casio for something like this...

fffd7bd894dbdffbefdb0b24676a7c76.jpg

Really the key here is "automatic" vs "Quartz" with this forum being more "auto-oriented".

Edited by HeavyKrush

WatchDog21

You heard the man. Buy one or else!

:)

Maybe he should not.. cause once you see the great watch and value you won't stop with just one as you can see by my recent post here http://i.ebayimg.com...LzmK/s-l500.jpg :picard:

WatchDog21

Really the key here is "automatic" vs "Quartz" with this forum being more "auto-oriented".

The Seiko goes without saying but that G-Shock is pretty cool looking!

Daywatch

Great, functional and reliable watches in good looking styles for every occasion/taste..

They have quite fantastic and technologically advanced quartz ones but on top also all the automatic choices from basic and well-tested/ proven by time classics to top-of-the line competition to the swiss mechanics.

HeavyKrush

The Seiko goes without saying but that G-Shock is pretty cool looking!

Mudmaster! There's a YouTube video on it somewhere.

bananakid0

Thanks for all the info guys: topic got a lot more love than expected! :)

Mark

halcyon

SEIKO is one of great manufacturer. They distribute their watch parts to swiss watch makers, i.e. TAG.

Mike on a bike

"You heard the man" +1 , I saw the thread title and gasped!

If you are Conus start here w/ the quintessential Seiko IMHO: http://www.jomashop....h-skx009k2.html or here http://www.jomashop....h-skx007k2.html

(matter of personal preference)

Then you can get them like chips as the rest of us do.

WatchDog21

"You heard the man" +1 , I saw the thread title and gasped!

If you are Conus start here w/ the quintessential Seiko IMHO: http://www.jomashop....h-skx009k2.html or here http://www.jomashop....h-skx007k2.html

(matter of personal preference)

Then you can get them like chips as the rest of us do.

This would be an absolute great start. There is a rumor that the SKX series may be on its way out. Get one now at a good price because once they become harder to get the value will be worth it even more.

Kwt

I have owned a couple of Seikos as a kid and never really thought too much about the whole mechanical thing, I just thought they were decent watches. Then you do the whole rep thing for a good few years and develop this snobbery to the Seiko brand and once you are then done with the whole rep thing, you appreciate Seiko once more for their robust mechanical movements and understated nature. I love my Sarb035.

greg_r

The thing that people forget is that as well as all the budget stuff, Seiko are also a high-end watch maker.

At the top of the rangethey're producing watches that compete with the very best in the world (at the same sort of prices too). From amazing one-off masterpieces down to a DateJust alternative that's way better engineered than the Rolex equivalent.

On the other hand, they also produce some of the best budget automatic watches in the world, some excellent midrange stuff and a wide range of affordable quartz and autos that offer bullet-proof reliability and first rate build quality.

The question isn't "Why Seiko?" It should be "Why don't I already have at least one Seiko?"

Here's one of mine...

snzh57_cloth_020913.JPG

bananakid0

The thing that people forget is that as well as all the budget stuff, Seiko are also a high-end watch maker.

At the top of the rangethey're producing watches that compete with the very best in the world (at the same sort of prices too). From amazing one-off masterpieces down to a DateJust alternative that's way better engineered than the Rolex equivalent.

On the other hand, they also produce some of the best budget automatic watches in the world, some excellent midrange stuff and a wide range of affordable quartz and autos that offer bullet-proof reliability and first rate build quality.

The question isn't "Why Seiko?" It should be "Why don't I already have at least one Seiko?"

Here's one of mine...

snzh57_cloth_020913.JPG

Very nice!!